ENS Chevalier - Phaser philosophy time

CPT Arianus

Dec 8, 2023, 8:11:44 AM12/8/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((USS Artemis | Deck 8 | Security Center - Training Facility))

Jaseb stood straight as the Vulcan proceeded with the inspection. He looked satisfied.

Savel: Very well, Ensign Chevalier. The first step will be familiarization with the type 2 personal phaser. Please step up to the first station.

Chevalier: As you command, ensign.

Jaseb stepped forward and moved to the shooting range station and quickly analyzed the range layout.

Savel: This will be an introductory course of fire to show competence with the functions of a personal phaser. A series of targets of various colors and sizes will display in front of you. Green targets require a stun setting to disable, yellow targets require a thermal setting, and red targets require a disruption setting. They will appear in no particular order and will be disabled after a valid hit from your phaser or when a timer expires. If you have no questions, I shall begin the program.

Chevalier: Understood, Mr. Savel. Green to stun, yellow to thermal, red to disrupt.

Jaseb unholstered his phaser, checked the setting and disabled the automatic targeting. He wanted to control the weapon, and as well to prevent a possible target acquisition misalignment if two targets would be too close together.

Chevalier: Ready to begin, ensign.

Vulcan nodded and instructed the computer to begin the course for Jaseb.

Green. Stun. Red. Disrupt. Green. Stun. Yellow.  Thermal. Red. Disrupt. Yellow...

Colors and targets were changing, quicker to appear, quicker to disappear. Close or distant, timing accelerated to all. And then the program ended. Jaseb checked the shooting range for any unexpected appearance, but no surprise came. He checked and secured his hand phaser before he holstered it again and turned to face the Vulcan.

Vulcan finished his notes before his eyes rested on another ensign whom he tested.

Savel: Are you satisfied with your performance, Ensign Chevalier?

Chevalier: We are never satisfied, Mr. Savel. We can always do better, always enhance ourselves to work better. Perfection is a path without ending, a path without satisfaction.

If the answer somehow surprised the Vulcan, he didn't show it. In the end - it was a simple yes or no question, not an advanced course in self improvement philosophy.

Chevalier: In set parameters, I believe I completed this part of the course successfully.

Jaseb added to give a more clear answer for Vulcan to understand the meaning.

Savel: Response

TAG / TBC

--
Ensign Jaseb Chevalier