Ensign Savel - Be Careful with Crewman Dirt-Eater

Savel

Apr 20, 2024, 1:58:33 PMApr 20
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Rakantha Province, Bajor))

Jaseb and Savel had taken an initial reading of the area and were getting themselves ready to move onto the next spot. Before they did, Jovenan had come running over to check on them.

Savel: I concur with my colleague, and I believe we are prepared to continue our work. Unless you have another suggestion, Lieutenant?

Jovenan: No, your plan sounds solid. Remember to collect samples from varying spots. When we’re done, we can compare the results with how severe the flooding was in each specific area.

Savel readied his backpack to move to a new location again before turning to Jovenan and his study partner.

Savel: Very well, shall you be coming with us Lieutenant? Or will we be continuing on our own?

Jovenan: I can accompany you for a while in case you have more questions, but I’ll go check ::combadge chirp:: Oh, um, please excuse me for a moment.

Jovenan then moved a few steps away from them to answer her communication. While she did, Jaseb and Savel went back to discussing how they were going to proceed.

Chevalier: I recommend taking samples gradually as the terrain increases. It would be good to get measurements from a place not directly exposed to the flood mentioned.

Savel: Agreed, we will seek out a suitable location shortly.

((OOC: Cutting out the comm conversation since Jovenan stepped away for it.))

Once Jovenan was finished speaking with Gnai over combadge, she came back over for a brief moment to catch them up on the other team.

Jovenan: Gnai and Renirs have found a cave they want to study, so I’ll be joining them now. You can carry on with your plan.

Spelunking sounded like an interesting excursion to make, but Savel and Jaseb had an adventure of their own to embark upon.

Savel: Very well, Lieutenant. ::short pause:: I have no doubt you and Ensign Gnai will take precautions, but I am worried about the reckless nature I have observed in the crewman who wished to eat the dirt. Please, do be careful.

Chevalier: Response

The Lieutenant then took her leave to go join up with the other study group that, thankfully, wasn't too far away from where they are now. Once she was leaving, Savel then turned back over to Jaseb.

Savel: We should find an area with a higher elevation than here. Somewhere we can safely assume the flooding did not have much, if any, of an impact. It will also save the area closest to the water, and the other team, until the end of our exercise.

Jaseb: Response

With both of them ready to go, they started walking in the direction of the most obvious peak in the terrain. There was a steep hill not far from where they were currently standing, though it did start to take them away from Jovenan, Gnai, and Renirs. It was probably the farthest they'd have to travel away from the shuttle, however, unless something else caught their eye once they reached the top.

Since their hike would take a few moments, Savel decided it was time to stretch out some of those social muscles that he hadn't been able to use during their mission. Most of that had been spent fighting or trying to not get thrown in solitary.

Savel: Ensign Jaseb. ::feeling less formal using his first name, even with the title:: It would be accurate to describe your first two missions aboard the Artemis as unusual. Have you been content with the experience, or did you find them troubling?

It was about as blunt as one could expect for a Vulcan to be considering the "unusual" missions involved Jaseb seeing a dead version of himself and being pulled through time and space by a rogue Q.

Jaseb: Response

There was a silence after Jaseb's answer while Savel processed it. Probably a bit longer than would be normally acceptable in a social situation, but he was doing his best.

Savel: Our previous missions have certainly been rather unique, even before your arrival. As an investigator, I have been trained to recognize patterns and to anticipate their repeating. Therefore, I believe we have only just started a series of unusual adventures with this ship and its crew.

Jaseb: Response

After a few more moments, they'd finally reach the top of the hill. Savel stopped and took a moment to look over the view the spot provided them. While a lot of the area had yet to be reclaimed from the poison that damaged it, there was still something to enjoy about the vantage point they now had. From where they stood, Savel could see down to the river that Gnai and Renirs had been examining, which meant the cave was just alongside it.

Once they finished up here, the Vulcan figured he would be heading back down with Jaseb so he already started to plan out his route back.

Savel: Perhaps you would like to be the one to take the first reading here, Ensign Jaseb? Then we can compare our results as we did before?

Jaseb: Response

TAG/TBC

Ensign Savel
Security Officer