Lt Jovenan – Clothes, hair, makeup. Ready for battle!

Jovenan

Mar 8, 2024, 3:05:47 PMMar 8
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Administrative Building, Ki Baratan, Romulus))

Jovenan’s back hit the wall, and her shoes slid on the floor as her legs couldn’t bear her weight. Only twice before in her career she remembered having needed to take support from the wall or the floor after her own legs couldn’t carry her. Once after a nominally successful exercise mission on holodeck early in her career. And once after Commander Adea threatened to kill her with a sword. She wouldn’t have guessed that the third time was after lying to someone on Romulus.

Firmly seated on the floor, she raised her shaking hand to tap the small communication device.

Jovenan: =/\= Coast’s clear. =/\=

Mere seconds later her team followed into the otherwise empty room. Seeing her sitting on the floor seemed to confuse some of them, but Doctor Adea smiled pleasedly at her and placed his hand on her shoulder. Maybe her earlier questioning Genkos’ plan to leave Betazed for Romulus was forgiven.

Gnai: What next, sir?

Adea: What’s this room?

Sadar: As best as could be deduced from the building’s blueprint, it’s one of several laboratories or workshops. ::Notes the numerous diagrams on the walls, along with cabinets of various vials.:: This seems familiar... Anatomy, Biochemistry...

Quickly recovering from her post-anxiety weakness on the floor, Jovenan pointed at devices she had noticed across the room.

Jovenan: Those look like replicators. Ensign, could you look if there are any tools or equipment around here we could use while Doctor Sadar tries to get the replicators work?

Gnai: Yes, sir!

Both junior officers left for the tasks Jovenan had assigned them. She took a moment to even realise that she had indeed assigned them tasks, like a senior officer she was – or was full lieutenant and a department head still a junior officer? She looked at Genkos, who as the seniormost officer was the team’s leader, but he didn’t seem to mind her taking initiative this time. Instead, he joined Doctor Sadar by the replicators.

Sadar: Well, today seems like a slow day at work for them, thankfully, but we can’t be sure how long we’ll remain undisturbed.

Jovenan: E-even I might need a haircut and prothesis. I’m not sure if I can do that again.

Adea: Yep, and maybe a medkit as well.

Doctor Sadar nodded and continued studying the replicator. Jovenan, finally, managed to regain the strength to her legs and steady her stomach to stand up and walk closer. It wasn’t a good look if a senior officer sat on the floor while the away team leader and the junior officers did all the work. That said, she didn’t think they’d need her to watch them work on the replicators, so she looked around if she should join Ensign Gnai in sweeping through the room.

Sadar: A medkit and some facial prosthetics, and- ::examines the Lieutenant’s features:: I’ll see if I can replicate a wig.

Jovenan nodded. Scissors and hair dye would probably have been easier to produce and an idiot-proof way to conceal her real hair, but at the same time, she was pleased that she wouldn’t need to cut down her long, blonde hair. It would have taken so long to grow it back – then again, she did have 27 years until 2401. If they ever made it back…

Gnai: There is a variety of engineering tools here, sir. Perhaps of use as excuses for being places? Or for replicator repairs...

Jovenan turned to Ensign Gnai, who, as a good Starfleet officer, hadn’t taken a pause to complete the task it was given.

Adea: Good idea, Ensign. Nobody looks twice at engineers engineering.

Jovenan: Right. I don’t think we can pass as military, Tal Shiar or senators, so maintenance it is. ::smiles at Gnai:: Good thinking.

For as long as they didn’t have to prove they were engineers. Judging by their engineering attempts in Dekoa, Ensign Gnai was the most skilled one of them if it could turn on a computer without zapping itself.

Trying to be useful, Jovenan walked to the one of the tables or benches the Ensign hadn’t examined yet, hoping that the two of them could run through the room faster together while the medicals were working on the replicators. The Ensign’s assessment seemed correct, there were plentiful of engineering tools and related equipment, although the number of biological references here and there made Jovenan wonder what the Romulans did with these tools.

Gnai: ::handing over a PADD:: There is biological information here in Romulan, perhaps of interest? ::pointing out the bench in particular:: The PADD came from that workstation.

Jovenan looked over her shoulder to see Ensign Gnai hand something to Doctor Sadar.

Adea: I’ll get on replicating, Lieutenant, you take a look.

Sadar: Y-Yes Sir! ::turns to Gnai:: Th-Thank you Ensign. ::accepts the PADD and heads to the indicated bench::

While the others were in their respective tasks, Jovenan was gathering some sort of a tool kit that would complement their disguises. She tried to choose tools that were most likely to help them in whatever trouble they might run into, but that was exceedingly difficult due to her inability to tell which direction the mission was going. Besides, she couldn’t name most of these tools even if they weren’t of Romulan design.

Sadar: Lieutenant Jovenan, if you don’t mind? ::turns to face her:: I need to take some measurements.

Jovenan: Hm? Oh, yes, sure.

Gnai: Response

Jovenan walked over to Doctor Sadar, who took measurements of her head and face. They were no doubt less precise than what they would achieve in their own sickbay under normal circumstances, but these were desperate times. While being measured, she looked over at Genkos who was pulling a set of Romulan engineering clothes on him. Jovenan had changed off of her uniform, and since she couldn’t carry it with her everywhere, she wondered if they’d need to destroy it.

Adea: That looks like a planetary defense turret. ::he traced up with his cane:: Looks like there’s a bridge across to it from a few floors above. We could use that to attack the shuttle from a safe-ish distance.

Turrets? Leaning in towards the window, Jovenan looked at what Genkos had found. There was indeed a military weapon platform not too much above them. Noticing it shocked her slightly. Why did this random civilian building have a turret installed to it? Did many, or all, civilian buildings in Ki Baratan have those for defensive purposes, and were they continuously manned? Were there soldiers in this building with them right now?

Sadar: E-Even if we manage to gain c-control of the turret, h-how can we be sure that the shuttle actually belongs to the Senator?

Right. Having ideas was easy, actually turning them into plans was the difficult part.

Jovenan: I’d imagine the turret has some kind of a, um, transponder reading system so that they don’t shoot down their own ships. They wouldn’t let any shuttle to come close to the Senate without identification.

That might have solved one problem. They still had to figure out how to get to the turret, and every other part of their plan.

Adea/Gnai: Response

Sadar: ::accesses another replicator to finish the wig and the prosthetic piece:: There’s also the matter of public sentiment. Sp-Speaking in terms of Dominion Era politics, the entire reason the Romulan Government joined the alliance was because the assassination was orchestrated by the Dominion, right? … If the Senator is sh-shot down with Romulan weapons, would that change history back to the right course?

Jovenan leaned against one of the workbenches. If she remembered her history correctly, and if that telling was correct anyway with all the secrecy and concealment around it, the Senator’s shuttle blew up en route to Romulus, presumedly due to a Dominion attack or a bomb. Details weren’t public, but the Senator had apparently discovered something that indicated Dominion wasn’t as good a friend to Romulus as they were claiming to be. Oh, why did CloQ had to bring them just here!?

Jovenan: You’re right. ::thinks:: When we came here, we saw a Dominion vessel flying above us, right? And then we went in, found Ensign Gnai in a building with a turret on it. Don’t you think that’s quite a coincidence? This is CloQ’s game, after all. Is it possible they want us to, um, use both the vessel and the turret somehow?

Adea/Gnai: Response

Jovenan looked at the replicator Doctor Sadar was working on.

Jovenan: So, can I try on my disguise now? But first… ::turns to Gnai:: You’re going to need your disguise as well. Do you think you could replicate or construct something to make your, uh, tank appear more robotic? Without hindering your vision and such, of course.

Adea/Gnai/Sadar: Response

Nodding, Jovenan joined Doctor Sadar by the replicator leaving the others to their works. With some care, they could attach the prothesis to her face with the adhesive glue. The cold material warmed slowly in contact with her skin, but Jovenan couldn’t get over the weird feeling of having ridges on her forehead. The wig proved to be more difficult to place to on her. Jovenan’s own hair was long and difficult to fit under it, but eventually they succeeded in it. Some adjustment to her eyebrows and makeup, and they were done masking her.

Without a mirror, Jovenan had to see her reflection from a PADD screen. An alien face, with short dark hair and forehead ridges stared her back. A Romulan face stared her back. She then turned to the others.

Jovenan: How do I look?

Adea/Gnai/Sadar: Response

Jovenan: ::smirks:: Aesthetics aren’t important. Commander, you’re next. And we need to figure out what to do with Doctor Sadar before we can move on.

Adea/Gnai/Sadar: Response

TAG/TBC
----
Lieutenant Jovenan