[JP] Ens Hiro Jones and Cmdr Yogan Yalu - Yogan's Phantasmagoria (pt 2)

notyourfrog

Apr 21, 2023, 11:24:41 AM4/21/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Sickbay, Deck 7, USS Artemis ))

Jones: There we are. ::spraying butyltriclosan on the tiny puncture:: How are you feeling?

The entire procedure, if one could even call it that, lasted no more than several seconds. Yogan barely felt the thing. If Jones hadn’t said something, Yogan might not have known anything happened.

Yalu: That’s it?

Jones: ::chuckling:: Sorry, I forgot the fanfare. Ba-da-daDUM-da-DAAAA!

From his awkward position on the biobed, knee-pit exposed, Yogan still managed to put his foot in his mouth. The exhortation was more out of surprise than anything else, but it didn’t come off as particularly grateful. He backtracked.

Yalu: Sorry, Doctor. What I meant was—— ::grins:: Thank you. But seriously, that’s it? From what I’ve seen and heard from other Joined Trills, I might have expected a medical emergency. But I feel fine. I feel good enough to go climb the Tenaran Ice Cliffs. ::beat:: Well, maybe not that good. But I definitely feel fit to return to duty.

Yogan looked down at his right leg. His surprise gave way to relief. The mountain was, thankfully, just a molehill, and he could happily go back to worrying about being seen in starflorts.

Yalu: Is there anything I need to do now that it’s all taken care of? ::eyes the containment dish:: And what of our little friend here?

Jones: Well, don’t go skipping into the sunset yet, Commander. You’re Trill, which means this is a little more serious than it would be with a Human patient. Earth is kind of a gross place when you think of how we’ve had to evolve to adapt to bugs biting us all the time, BUT it has made us resilient. I would like to run a couple tests quickly before I turn you loose. Gotta do my job, right?

Yogan nodded. After 370 years and nine lifetimes, he’d outgrown disregarding a doctor’s advice just to be defiant. What’s more, Hiro Jones had proven themself to be a trustworthy medical professional during the Da’al meteor crisis. Yogan kicked his legs back up onto the biobed and assumed a semi-reclined position. Interlocking his fingers behind his head, he grinned.

Yalu: Aye aye, Doctor. I love a good test. ::cranes neck to look at the situation monitors behind him:: Which ones are you thinking of running?

Jones: For starters, the one I just started. ::smirking:: Just a blood scan.

Hiro held up the tricorder he’d been surreptitiously scanning with as they talked. The results showed nominal levels of microbial life provided by both host and symbiont. Hiro had to remind himself he had two patients here … or … one patient who was two that became one … or …. Hiro had to remind himself Trill physiology was complicated.

He kept running new scans while they talked. They had been on the same away team, but it wasn’t like they’d been on holiday on Da’al. Hiro hardly knew the man now semirecumbent in short-pants.

Jones: So, Commander, what do you enjoy doing in your off-time?

Yalu: ::chuckles:: Off-time. I’ve heard of the concept. Working all those months at Deep Space 224 taught me a lot about balancing Starfleet and real life. And how I was never that good at it.

Jones: Oh come on ::playfully coaxing:: There’s got to be something. I like corny movies, for instance.

Yalu: When I was at the Academy, I would go with a group of friends to an old-style 2D cinema from time to time. I remember once, there were about a dozen Human cadets and me, and the film we ended up watching was called “Aliens are to Blame for Everything.”

Jones: Sounds like a propaganda piece. Maybe don’t watch a late 21st Century movie called “Mars Attacks.” It … didn’t age well. How about books? Read anything good lately?

Yalu: I like to read Betazoid psychodramas. I just finished one called The Impossible Spindle. I usually enjoy them, but this last one was—I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting wise to the conventions of the genre and it’s not exciting to read anymore. ::beat:: Do you like cheeseburgers?

Did he like cheeseburgers? Absolutely. They were just a hair’s breadth below pizza in Hiro’s estimation.

Jones: I’m from Earth, sir. They’re my bread and butter … and beef, lettuce, onions, pickles, tomato … you know. So yes. I’m a big fan.

Yalu: There’s a Ferengi burger place on Deep Space 224 that makes a decent Double DaiMon Bacon Cheeseburger. I think they even have a plant-based option now. Though I can’t vouch for the validity of Ferengi food certification procedures.

Hiro repressed a shudder at the sudden memory of the slug burger he’d unwittingly ordered from that very restaurant. He gave a small chuckle at the seemingly distant memory.

Jones: I can verify that misgiving. I think Molly Malone’s wings are a safer bet unless you’re sure what you’re getting. I once ordered a slug burger there. It was not my favorite culinary experience.

Hiro tapped the tiny panel, activating yet another scan. Bioelectrical signatures were good. A sweep of neurotransmitter efficiency showed a slight deviation from nominal, but nothing too concerning. Within five minutes, Hiro was satisfied. If there was going to be any adverse reactions to the bite, they most likely would have started manifesting by now. Still…

Jones: Will you indulge me for a moment? I want to get your blood flowing a bit before I give the final ok. Would you hop up for me, and take a quick jog around the room?

Yogan wished, for the second time in ten minutes, that he wasn’t wearing starflorts.

Yalu: Seriously? It’s been a while since I was assigned PT.

Jones: I swear I’m not pranking you. I could stimulate your cardiovascular system with an energy pulse, but I like doing things naturally when possible.

Yogan swung his legs over the side of the biobed and dropped to the deck. Well, “dropped” was an exaggeration; his legs were so long that his feet almost touched the floor from a seated position. He grinned and gave Jones a playful salute.

Yalu: Whatever you say, Doctor. Cardiovascular stimulation au naturale. Just promise not to make fun of my technique.

As Yogan broke into a trot, then a jog, he was grateful he’d come to Sickbay on a slow day. Fewer witnesses. He rounded the corner from the main surgical area toward a series of consoles and collected lab equipment and waved politely to Crewman Hamsan, who looked at him curiously.

Yalu: ::breathlessly:: Hi.

Hiro high-fived the Trill as he passed on one of his laps. Three laps later, Hiro was satisfied. A follow-up scan showed systems were stressed, but still within acceptable parameters.

Jones: Well, other than maybe making this whole jogging thing a bit more regular, I think you’re ok to return to duty. I’ll want to check back in with you in a day or two to make sure there aren’t any patterns we should be concerned about. Call me immediately if you experience any new symptoms though, ok?

The suggestion to take up jogging was well made. It had been a while since Yogan’s nascent attempt at folk wrestling, and he’d yet to find a satisfying new form of exercise since.

Yalu: Aye aye, Doctor. Thanks for your help.

TBC

Ensign Hiro Jones, MD
USS Artemis-A, Medical
E239510KD0

Lieutenant Commander Yogan Yalu
Second Officer & Strategic Operations Officer
USS Artemis NCC-81287
D238804DS0