LtJG Hiro Jones - Surprises in Sickbay

notyourfrog

Jun 27, 2023, 2:31:54 PM6/27/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((OOC - thank you so much to Brian aka Cmdr Geoffrey Teller for writing up the backsim portion of the Holographic (Medical) Muppet Teller of this sim.))

((Six months ago, Shakedown cruise, USS Artemis, En-Route To DS224))

To say that Geoffrey Teller was impressed by the features and performance of the Artemis on this post-refit inaugural cruise would have been a significant understatement. Its systems were beyond cutting edge and served as a showcase for the finest work the Starfleet Corp of Engineers could produce yet still, Geoff felt it was lacking...personality. Thankfully, he had an idea for resolving that small oversight and had spent the better part of the last day in the ships palatial sickbay, reconfiguring the holographic matrix and making certain his dear friend Addison had everything her crew would need in a crisis. He only wished he could be there when she activated it for the first time.

With his feet on the incoming CMO's desk and a padd of schematics in one hand, Geoff looked up as the ships computer chimed in the affirmative.

Computer: =/\= Matrix has been successfully overlaid and reinitialized. HMMT MKII diagnostics complete. =/\=

Geoff smiled to himself as he collected the scattering of isolinear chips he'd brought with him and the few odd parts he'd removed from the holoprojector systems that he couldn't entirely figure out how to replace. He was confident they weren't especially important. He looked forward to the day, long in the future, when he got an inevitably cross subspace transmission from Addison and her new felt and cloth friend.

((Present - just before the team entered, Deck 7, Sickbay, USS Artemis))

Shimming into existence for the first time since the ship had been brought online, the matrix formed perhaps a bit more slowly then it would have otherwise. The bland outline of a Starfleet medical officer, replaced some months prior, instead resolved into the artificially short and gangly form of a hand sewn muppet that had been lovingly crafted as a caretaker for the child of former members of the Veritas crew. It had traveled across the quadrant, had adventures of its own and earned a somewhat infamous reputation for turning up in the most unlikely, and unnerving, of spots. And now in the sickbay of the Artemis, the Holograhic (Medical) Muppet Teller, Mark II, sprang into being.

HMMT: Please state the nature of the w-w-HUH!?

The room was not up to Starfleet standards. Medical personnel floated around the ward. The artificial gravity had been shut off for some reason. Fortunately as a construct of forcefields and photons, things like having artificial gravity or not made little difference. He walked around, looking for somewhere to be useful.

((Scene shift - Jefferies Tube, Deck 5, USS Artemis))

Dakora: Gabe, ::He grabbed the Chief’s Shoulder.:: Are you alright?

Osuna: It feels like I just got kicked in the face by a mule, but… pretty sure I’ll live.  ::To Jones::  Doc?

Renirs: Don’t blame me! The computer said it was okay to use blunt weapons or something!

Hiro scanned him with the tricorder, grateful the instrument was still capable of rendering actual, medically-useful readings. He breathed a small sigh of relief when it showed the damage wasn't as bad as it looked: Level 1 concussion and two bruised ribs. Uncomfortable to be sure, but far from life-threatening.

Jones: I can wrap your head, sir, but I'm sorry to say I don't have a real medkit on me. This wasn't supposed to be a situation where that would be required.

Osuna: Great…  ::Looking over his shoulder, wincing::  Crewman… What was it?

Renirs: ::upwards nod:: Renirs. Jozial with friends.

Osuna: Renirs… Remind me to put you on the roster for the Artemis’ baseball team. We could use a slugger like you.

Dakora: ::To Jones.:: How is he? Do I need to call off our part of the drill?

Jones: We're not that far from sickbay. Another 45 seconds, and you'll be green again. How are you feeling? ::to Osuna:: Do you require immediate medical attention, or should we proceed with the plan since you're still green?

Osuna: I wouldn’t say no to a dose of Hydro…  ::Figuring that answer was unexpected::  Not my first ‘cranial injury’… Besides, we need to get moving. Might as well travel with a destination in mind, hmm?  ::To Dakora::  Talos?

Dakora: Alright to sickbay it is then. They probably won’t be expecting us to go there. :: To Gabe.:: But if you start to feel any worse, just say the word and we’ll call this off and get an emergency site-to-site to sickbay.

Jones: ::indicating Renirs:: What about her? Technically she's a dead body, as far as the exercise goes.

Dakora shrugged in an "I could care less what you do, so long as you don't whack anybody else with that spanner" expression, so Osuna piped up.

Osuna: You wanna sit out the rest of your death sentence here in the tube, Renirs, or go back to your quarters?  ::Pointing to the hatch behind them::  That way’s sealed, so if you’re going home, you’re coming with us.

After a moment's thought, she gave the last answer Hiro would have expected from someone who not five minutes ago had been in full-on berserker mode.

Renirs: Ugh. Guess I’ll stick with you lot for now.

Osuna: Fine.  ::To Dakora, Kliss’lai::  One of you two wanna take point for a few?

Dakora: I’ve got point. Let’s roll.

Kliss'lai: Right behind you, Commander.

Renirs: You guys might want to avoid Juncture Gamma-7-2. There’s a bit of a mess in there. ::smirk:: You can blame it all on yourselves, it wasn’t me who turned off the gravity.

((Near Sickbay, Deck 7, USS Artemis))

They made quick work of the Jefferies Tubes in the low gravity. Hiro honestly felt it was easier to navigate them this way than by crawling around like a baby. Easier on the knees for sure. When they exited (cautiously) on deck 7 near sickbay, the tension suddenly shot back up to previous levels. A faint hissing noise filled the corridor.

Osuna: Is that coming from the ECU?

Dakora: Looks like it to me. ::He scowled.:: Tell me that’s not what I think it is…

Jones: ::pulling the neck of his uniform undershirt over his nose and moth:: Shallow breaths if you can't just hold it.

Hiro scanned the hallway, and was simultaneously annoyed at, worried about, and at a loss as to why aerosolized Mexohexital would be filling the corridor. If the Artemis crew sought to knock them out, this anesthetic gas would certainly do it, but they'd have to purge the whole deck afterward, and until then they'd have cut themselves off from their own sickbay. It seemed like an overly-desperate tack to take.

Renirs: Looks like your friends are trying to gas you out. ::smirk:: Getting beaten up with a hyperspanner doesn’t seem so bad thing to do anymore, does it?

Osuna: ::Pushing himself along the wall towards Sickbay::  Jones?  ::Blinking severely::  The hell is this?

Dakora: Computer: Close all ECU vents in this corridor, authorization: Dakora-Sierra-India-Xray-Niner-Alpha-Foxtrot.

Computer: Access denied: Override Code is temporarily disabled by Artemis Command.

Dakora: Crap.

Renirs: Computer, you big ::trying to stay awake:: ugh.

Jones: Mexohexital. It's an anesthetic. oO I'm just glad it's not one of the combustible ones. Oo Try not to breathe more than you have to.

His brain was starting to go fuzzy, but he still seemed slightly better-off than some of the others.

Kliss’lai: I like oranges....

Osuna: ::Slurring his words, pointing lazily::  Sickbay?

Dakora::Lazily:: Yeah.Ye-yes. Sickbay.

The group made weird, jellyfish-like movements toward the medical wing, giving this whole scene a dreamy quality. Or maybe that was just the gas.

Renirs: ::trying to be intimidating, but coming off as sleepy and non-threatening:: Move it…

Kliss’lai: ::blinking very heavily as sleep kept up:: You're pretty.

Inside sickbay, Hiro's head began to clear somewhat. They'd brought some of the gas in with them, but the independent air purifying system made quick work of that.

Jones: ::shaking his head to clear the cobwebs:: Everybody ok?

Dakora: What in the ::He coughed as clean air entered his lungs again.:: name of the Four was that about!?

Renirs: ::breathing loud:: Your friends really don’t like you if they’re doing that to you.

Jones: I really don't think that was intended for us. ::to Osuna:: Maybe another unintended result of our sabotage?

Osuna: Response

There were a couple of the medical staff floating around the room. Hiro waved at them to show he wasn't holding his weapon, then indicated the actual medical issue at hand by gesturing to Osuna. Dakora took a slightly more ... confrontational approach.

Dakora: Whose bright idea was it to ::He coughed again.:: try and gas us!?

Doctor: I’m not sure what you mean, Sir.

oO Wait, they didn't? Oo

Renirs: ::annoyed:: Why don’t you step out and find out!

Hiro saw something walking - not floating - toward the back of the ward, but didn't get a good look at it before it was gone.

Osuna/Kliss’lai: Response

Dakora: Lieutenant Osuna needs medical attention and I need a commline to Captain MacKenzie. ::He scowled.:: Something is wrong here.

Hiro accepted the medkit from Jorgensen and indicated Osuna to sit on the nearest biobed.

Renirs: ::to herself:: Ugh. Can’t get a break even by being dead.

Jones: ::finishing up the treatment a moment later:: How's that? better?

Osuna: Response

A small, fuzzy ... person? walk/hopped/toddled over to the biobed where Osuna and Hiro floated gently.

HMMT: Hi there, can I be of assistance?

Jones: What in the actual - Jorgensen? Who is this?

The nurse floated 180 degrees around to see what Hiro was talking about. When they saw blue uniform-wearing creature (what else could you call it?), they gave a small sigh.

Jorgenson: That, sir, is our EMH. It was activated when we lost gravity. He's actually pretty helpful, and kinda cute.

Jones: I'm sorry, what!? You know what? No. We'll deal with that later. Now's not the time.

Dakora/Osuna/Renirs: Response

Tag/[End or Act 2 for Hiro]

USS Artemis-A, Medical
E239510KD0
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius