PNPC Ens Kliss'lai - This Gelato Tastes Like My Foot.

notyourfrog

Aug 12, 2023, 11:05:25 AM8/12/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( The Sea's Bounty Bistro, Cait Spacedock ))

The food (all of it) had been consumed in a montage of chewing, happy noises, comments on particularly well-executed dishes, and carefully chosen topics of chit-chat. Now, as the server had returned, there was a decision to be made - one which could determine the course of fate for the entire quadrant: dessert.

Server: Will there be anything else this evening, ladies?

Kliss'lai: ::to Jozial:: I get to pick the dessert spot. ::to the server:: I think we're good ::back to Jozial:: unless you wanted something more?

Renirs: ::raises hand:: No, I’m fine. ::to the server:: Thanks, mate. I liked it.

Server: Very good.

They left the apocalyptic scene that was their dining table and walked from the bistro. Kliss felt better with some food in her belly, but the butterflies had come back now that she no longer had the distraction of food. Jozial was looking at her. What should she say? Nothing stupid. That was a good start. It ruled out a LOT of what was going through her head at the moment. Maybe she could shift the focus to Jozial and not have to say much? That would prevent her from accidentally saying something stupid.

Kliss'lai: So, Jozial, um ... what is your favorite thing in the whole galaxy?

oO That was kind of stupid. Oo

Renirs: Freedom. Here I feel… free. Sure, there’s rules and timetables, and the Supervising Petty Officer’s gonna kill me when I get back – you wouldn’t want to give them a talk, wouldn’t you? – but compared to what I’ve used to, I am free. There’s nobody either hovering over and sheltering me, or trying to sneak onto me and mug me, or worse. Never before could I do things I like… ::smirk:: Like taking a pretty girl to a fancy restaurant.

Kliss’lai: oO She thinks I'm pretty!? Don't comment on it. Maybe it was a mistake. Oo That ... sounds kind of serious.

Renirs: Haha, that’s what you get for asking serious questions. I guess I’ll have to tell you more about it some other day.

Kliss’lai: I'll hold you to that.

They'd reached the front of the gelateria Kliss had noticed on their way to dinner. Through the entry, their limited but obvious quality selection of flavors beckoned them in. The Andorian girl turned to Jozial smiling and biting her lip excitedly. Gelato was one of the best desserts ever. Anywhere. End of conversation. Kliss'lai was a girl who loved desserts, and this place seemed to know what it was about. By some miracle, she was currently managing to refrain from bouncing on the spot.

Renirs: Is this where we’re going? How did you know about this place, it looks nice!

Kliss’lai: ::tapping one of her antennae:: Smelled the banana flavor almost as soon as we got here, then I spotted it on our way to dinner. Come on!

She couldn't wait anymore. They walked into the shop (Kliss' entrance really closer to a skip), and approached the counter. It was delightfully cool in here, and the girl behind the counter was immediately attentive. So far this place was perfect. The real test was the gelato itself though.

Gelataia: Welcome! What would you like to have?

Jozial looked at Kliss with a small wave of the hand and a nod that said, "After you." Kliss nearly forgot what gelato was at this. This. girl. was. so. smooth. HOW!? With surprising speed and only the faintest blush, she regained her composure.

Kliss’lai: May I please have a scoop of banana and a scoop of chocolate?

Renirs: Cantucci for me, please!

Kliss'lai: oO She knows her gelato!? How is she on a date with me? She could literally have picked anybody. Oo

Gelataia: Sure thing! Coming right in!

There are a couple important factors when it comes to judging gelato. The first is presentation. Some places will whip the gelato, incorporating a bunch of air. It looks impressive, but gets in the way of the texture of the treat itself. The next is color. Bright colors mean they're hiding something sub-quality about the offering. Kliss' banana scoop when it arrived was pale and creamy in color rather than bright yellow. This was a good sign as only the peel of a Terran banana was yellow, and most people she'd met didn't eat that part.

This gelateria got it all right. They thanked the girl and left the shop, walking along the promenade as they ate their treats. Jozial presented Kliss with a possibility she hadn't considered: when you ask someone a question, they're likely to ask you the same in return. Crap.

Renirs: So, what about you? What’s your favourite thing there is?

Kliss had just put an impressive-sized spoonful of frozen but melting fast dessert into her mouth. Being caught off-guard, she turned to Jozial with wide eyes and blurted (through the gelato) the first thing that came to her mind.

Kliss’lai: Ymr eees?

She was INSTANTLY the darkest blue she'd ever been in her life. She felt the sweat break out through literally every pore in her body as though even IT didn't want to be in her skin anymore and was making a mad bid to escape. Had she really just said, "Your eyes" in response to the question? Kliss'lai looked around for the nearest airlock. It was the only realistic option at this point.

Then she realized - as though noticing the fact about another person rather than herself - her spoon was sticking out of her mouth. It wasn't possible for an Andorian to be any darker than she already was, but she willed her hand to remove the utensil. Maybe it had saved her? Maybe Jozial hadn't understood the obscurred, mumbled, reactive response? If there was any goodness in the universe, she begged all of it for this one boon.

Renirs: Response

Kliss'lai: oO Oh sweet spoon! You saved me from my own mouth. Oo I ... uh, said ... I said ... oO WORDS, KLISS! SAY WORDS! Oo dragonflies. oO AND THE CROWD GOES WILD! Oo

She hoped that worked. In all honesty, Kliss hadn't thought much about Terran dragonflies since seeing an image of them as a teenager. She supposed they were pretty with their jewel-bright colors and delicate wings. She'd chosen to name them because the word sounded similar enough to be believable. If Jozial bought it, dragonflies would forever be Kliss' favorite creature.

Renirs: Response

TAG/TBC

Ensign Kliss'lai, PNPC
Security Officer, USS Artemis-A