Ensign Savel - We Using Duracell or Energizer?

Savel

May 7, 2024, 10:37:59 PMMay 7
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((Armory | Deck 08 | USS Artemis))

Savel and one of his newest security colleagues, Kel, were working their shift in the armory. On paper they were there to make sure the work got done, supervising the crewmen that were also on duty there that day. Neither one seemed interested, however, in just standing around to observe the activity there.

The more senior of the two Ensigns grabbed a rifle from one of the racks and brought it over to a workbench for Kel to take a better look at. Just in case the newer Ensign didn't have much experience with it from the Academy.

Savel: This, as you will be familiar, is a Type 3 Phaser Rifle. A newer configuration that was introduced in 2400. It took time for Starfleet to deliver the weapons to every ship in the fleet and the ships focused on scientific exploration were close to the last on the list of recipients.

Kel: I think I can count on one hand the times I’ve had one of these on hand. I’ve usually had to make do with a hand phaser.

Savel: You will find that some essential functions of the weapon have changed. For instance, there are no longer incremental power settings. They have been exchanged for a simple selector switch that toggles between stun and kill. It prevents the need for complicated decisions during stressful situations.

Kel had picked up the rifle and was inspecting it while Savel spoke. There was plenty to notice about how different it was from the previous iteration of the phaser rifle. A more compact design along with an arguably more user-friendly set of controls as well.

Kel: I assume the Stun setting on a Type 3 rifle is at least as powerful as a type 2’s maximum stun?

Savel: Indeed, you will find the two stun settings share a similar strength. It does give the user slightly less control over how much someone is stunned, but it eliminates the need for complex thoughts in moments that many species find it difficult.

As Solas looked over the weapon, he inspected the panel that displayed some of the weapon's status. Whatever was on the screen seemed to provoke a negative emotion from him, as was evident by the frown.

Savel was getting good at this recognizing emotions thing.

Kel: Well that’s interesting, this one appears to be mostly discharged. The battery might need replacing.

Savel: There should be a small stock in the workbench, if not, it will be easily replicated.

While the elder Vulcan watched Kel work, he thought of what he should talk about. He would be perfectly satisfied if neither of them said another word during this entire shift. Though, he was aware that most other beings did not always agree. With Kel not being fully Vulcan, he assumed that would be the case with him as well.

The problem was that he had no clue what to say. He replayed a few of the conversations in his mind that he had whenever he first joined the ship. Harmless questions, seemingly asked to create noise where silence would otherwise be. Or did they all actually care about the information that Savel would share when he was asked? He still hadn't figured that out yet.

With those conversations being the only data set he had to draw from, he made his attempt at steering their talks.

Savel: What has been your experience as a crew member of the Artemis to date? Have you found it acceptable?

Kel: Response

Even though there was a version of a conversation happening, Savel's hands felt too idle. Was this a byproduct of aimless chatting? A need to further occupy one's time simultaneously to talking?

Spurred on by this urge, the Vulcan grabbed a similar rifle from the rack and started to inspect it on a workbench that was opposite Kel, but still allowing them to face one another. The info display was the first thing checked, and it too showed a battery in need of replacement.

His hands were occupied by the task of dismantling the weapon to get to the battery, but he still felt an obligation to continue talking.

Savel: You have certainly had a unique introduction to life onboard a Starfleet vessel. I would propose the possibility that the ship's next assignment will be of a more routine nature, but I'm afraid that would not be accurate. I have yet to embark on a mission with the Artemis that I would describe as normal, or mundane.

Kel: Response

Some found that to be stressful. Savel, however, was beginning to look forward to it. Who knew what they were going to get into next? The lack of predictability kept curiosity high.

TAG/TBC

Ensign Savel
Security Officer
USS Artemis-A