Commander Addison MacKenzie - Honoring Traditions (Part 1)

Addison MacKenzie

May 19, 2023, 4:01:00 PM5/19/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(OOC 1: For all intents and purposes, all PCs are considered members of the senior staff and should be present.)

(OOC 2: For length, I’ve split this into two posts. As you’re editing your respective responses, you may feel free to condense the commentary into one post if it is easier, and you may also feel free to break into smaller scenes and mingle at the end.)

(OOC 3: There is no rush to respond and/or wrap up your current scenes - if we don’t launch into what’s next until the middle of next week, that’s totally fine.)

(( State Dining Room, Central Government Facilities, Tecra Province ))

Addison stood in the middle of the ornate dining room watching as the other members of the Artemis senior staff started to trickle in, looking distinguished in their dress whites, enjoying trays of hors d’oeuvres and drinks. The beautiful room with oak paneling on the walls reminded her a lot of other formal functions she’d attended on countless other worlds, but for some reason, this gathering was different. While the walls were lined with the portraits of former provincial ministers, those gathered in this room were not of this world.

For the first time, as her gaze slowly moved from face to face, those assembled were familiar, yet different. For the first time, they weren’t just those with whom she served, they were her crew. They were her officers. While she’d been gathered with this group for this purpose more times than she could count, the weight of their gathering on this day in this place hit differently.

The officers gathered were her officers, from her ship, who’d just completed their first mission - to provide relief to those on whose ground they stood. It was the first of what she hoped would be many successful missions together, but while she couldn’t foresee that possibility, she could at least gather them all to celebrate the work they’d done together so far.

When it looked like the last of the officers to arrive were in place, Addison moved toward the podium that had been set up near her seat at the head of the table, next to which was a small table where several rows of small, velvet-lined wooden box had been strategically organized. She cleared her throat and offered a welcoming smile.

MacKenzie: If we could all take our seats…

As everyone moved toward the table, she continued.

MacKenzie: Before we begin tonight, I want to welcome you all here after what I think we can all agree was some much-needed downtime… And I want to thank our Da’al guests for providing such a beautiful space for us to all be able to gather. Before we get to dinner, there’s some important business to attend to. Could I ask Commander Adea to join me?

She smiled and nodded to Genkos as stood from his chair and moved toward her side at the podium.

MacKenzie: There is a storied tradition among this crew that we use opportunities like these to be able to recognize each other’s accomplishments. This job is tough and often thankless, especially in light of the mission we’ve just completed, and so I want you to know that the work you’ve done is not only seen, but appreciated. ::clearing her throat:: I’d like Ensigns Savel, Kader, Lorana, and Vedic to step forward, please.

She nodded to the group of officers as they moved to the front, handing Genkos four boxes.

MacKenzie: While you have technically already qualified for this award on account of your being here, it is my privilege as your commanding officer to formally award each of you the Starfleet Academy Graduate Ribbon. Welcome aboard.

She smiled as those gathered clapped for the newest members of the Artemis.

Adea/Savel/Kader/Lorana/Vedic/Any: Responses

MacKenzie: Next, I’d like to see Lieutenant Yellir, Ensign Jones, and Ensign Jovenan.

She waited for the sets of officers to trade places until the new trio now stood in front of her.

MacKenzie: From beginning to end, this mission was difficult. Providing disaster relief on an epic scale, in combination with some kind of new toxin that turned the telepathic and empathic agency of the Da’al and some of our crew members against one another made this especially tough. Your cool heads prevailed though. From developing the hypothesis that the dust might be the culprit to designing and implementing a solution that worked on an individual and large-scale basis likely saved us all. For your work, I hereby award you the Scientific Discovery Ribbon.

Adea/Yellir/Jones/Jovenan/Any: Responses

She smiled and nodded as Genkos passed out the boxes.

MacKenzie: Ensign Jovenan, please remain. The rest of you may have a seat.

Addison turned to face Jovenan while the others returned to their seats. The ensign struck her as often unsure of herself. As one of the few Edo in Starfleet, the CO assumed it was a large cross to bear.

MacKenzie: Ensign Jovenan, your quick thinking in calling for an emergency beamout back at the Palace of Culture prevented Ms. Kleebohn from murdering you and your crewmates, and saved the entire group. I hereby award you the Good Conduct Ribbon.

Adea/Jovenan/Any: Response

She gestured for Jovenan to sit.

MacKenzie: Lieutenant Dakora, please step up.

Addison waited until the Betazoid was standing in front of her, and found herself trying to stand up straighter compared to his tall frame.

MacKenzie: Lieutenant, for our work here in helping to coordinate the governmental response and bolstering the relationship between the Da’al and the Federation, you and I have been awarded the Diplomacy Ribbon. In addition, for your service not only on the Artemis but also as the Excalibur’s Chief of Intelligence, I hereby award you the Department Chief Ribbon.

Adea/Dakora/Any: Response

When Talos moved back to her seat, Addison found herself gripping the sides of the podium with more force than she had a moment ago, her head slightly bobbing up and down.

MacKenzie: ::gesturing:: Mr. Silveira, you’re next.

She waited while the more-youthful looking officer made his way forward. The man had been through a lot throughout his career, the least of which included being de-aged by a Q.

MacKenzie: It is never a pleasure to present this next award. There are instances when, in the line of duty, officers become wounded… sometimes even worse. While this time, an injury was sustained via friendly fire ::she offered an unamused glance over her shoulder at Genkos::, you were still injured performing your duties as a Starfleet officer. As such, I hereby award you the Purple Heart.

Adea/Silveira/Any: Responses

MacKenzie: I also want it known that I have also promoted Lieutenant Silveira to the position of Chief Tactical Officer, and he has already started performing those duties.

Silveira/Any: Response

She gestured for Silveira to return to his seat.

MacKenzie: You all faced incredibly difficult circumstances on this mission. You were required to do a lot with very few resources, and you had to come up with creative solutions to get out of very sticky situations. Therefore, I am hereby awarding everyone in this room the Innovation Ribbon.

Addison nodded as the officers clapped.

MacKenzie: And last, but certainly not least, every member seated here today has proven themselves to be an integral member of this crew. It can often be difficult when the members of several crews come together, particularly when the ship itself is also brand new to you. Before the Artemis-A was reinstated, she was the USS Doyle… And while I believe that a name is just a name, I also believe that a name has the potential to carry a great legacy. For all of you seated here, you are hereby awarded the Legacy Ribbon, for the successful reinstatement of the USS Doyle, now USS Artemis-A.

Any: Responses

TBC…

---

Commander Addison MacKenzie, M.D., Ph.D., FASFS

Commanding Officer

USS Artemis-A

Captains Council Magistrate

V239601AM0