Maj. Ares Dakora - Universal Symbol of Defiance

Travis

Sep 25, 2023, 12:09:40 PM9/25/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Shuttlepod Don Pedro - Turkana IV Deadzone Debris Field))

A nervous energy permeated the stale air of the cramped shuttlepod interior. So far everything seemed to be happening according to the plan, but considering the plan was likely to get them all killed, Ares wasn’t entirely sure if he should feel good or bad about that.

Somewhere, far outside the pod’s meager sensor range, a Shint Cruiser was barrelling down on the Desdemona, lured in by seemingly poor EM signature discipline. With the new understanding of Shint systems granted by the Intel intercept provided by Stennes, they waited until they were sure the Crusier had a good view of the battle space before enacting the next phase of the plan.

This was how Ares and his band of raiders had found themselves aboard a decades-old Hammerhead shuttlepod, thrusting away from the Des’ as fast as its dated engines could manage.

Strapped into the pilot’s seat, Ares’ hud lit up with a series of rather grim-looking lock-on warnings and a voice came through over the comm line.

Stennes: =/\= Shuttlepod occupants, this is the Commonwealth Interstellar Cruiser Desdemona. You are wanted on charges of treason, seditious conspiracy, and aiding and abetting the enemy. Surrender to our custody or we will take action to apprehend you. You have thirty seconds. =/\=

They all knew what that meant.

He rotated slightly, looking back at the team behind him.

Dakora: We’re a go for Phase 3. ::His brow furrowed.:: Looks like they’re taking the bait. Anything on the scopes?

He looked to Sato and Savel who were in the Tactical and Sensor Jumpseats.

Sato/Savel: Response

Ares grimaced slightly.

Dakora: Expected, but not encouraging.::He raised his voice to call to the rest of the group.:: Strap in, we’re about to take some heat…

Lux/Thevn/Jovenan: Response?

He adjusted his grip on the flight control stick and began some half-hearted evasive maneuvers. This all had to look convincing, or they were blown.

For a moment he considered opening the Comms and delivering an impassioned speech about why they had broken away, to really pour it on thick. Instead, he went with an old standard from his personal collection and transmitted a universal symbol of defiance that would scroll across the Desdemona’s consoles.

With that handled, he continued his course putting some distance between the small, snub-nosed shuttle craft and its mother ship.

Any moment now.

Not only did Vik need to time the shot right, so that their drift would be on course with the Shint Cruisers' expected position, he needed to make sure his “kill shot” missed anything important.

His sensors registered the power surge of the Desdemona’s rail-gun capacitors with just a moment to spare.

Dakora: Here it comes…

There was nothing quite like having your ship holed by a slug of tungsten-carbide propelled at unimaginable velocities. One second the Don Pedro was puttering along silently, then there was a terrible thud that shook the ship, preceded by the unmistakable hiss of venting oxygen. Immediately, Ares initiated an emergency power down, adding complete darkness to the chaos of their decompressing shuttle.

Fortunately, they were prepared for this.

Dakora: Patch kits, now!

The pair assigned to patch the– if Vik’s aim was true– superficial damage to the Don Pedro’s hull.

Lux/Thevn: Response?

Producing a small torch from a pocket on his flight suit, he shined it back behind until it landed on the Edo.

Dakora: Need those Prismic-Shields masking our life signs in ::He checked his wrist chrono:: 45 seconds. That’s when we would’ve died from decompression.

Jovenan: Response?

Last, he turned to Savel and Sato. With their sensors powered down, they each had a small porthole-style window to survey the battlespace. The hammerhead had not front window, since it’s nose was self-sealing airlock with a shaped charge built into the connector. Visibility wasn’t ideal.

Dakora: Do we have a visual on the Cruiser?

Sato/Savel: Response?

It was all happening. All unfolding like they had imagined. Though, Ares had been around long enough to know that it wouldn’t last. He just hoped they’d be able to improvise around whatever spanners were thrown in the works. They had to, for the Commonwealth. For everyone.

He unbuckled his restraints and immediately felt his body rise up from the seat. Expected, but inconvenient. No power meant no gravity generators or inertial dampeners.

He drifted over to one of the portholes and peered out into the void. For a moment, Ares couldn’t quite make sense of what he was seeing; where twinkling stars had once been there was something else

It was only after staring for a moment that he realized he was staring at the terrible, organic-looking, obsidian-black, ridged hull of a Shint cruiser from closer than anyone in a ship as small as theirs ever should’ve been.

Dakora: ::Muttering under his breath.:: Dust me…

Any: Response?

TAG/TBC

Major. Ares Dakora

Air Group Commander