JP - Captain Roshanara Rahman and Captain Addison MacKenzie - Full Circle

Addison MacKenzie

Sep 3, 2023, 1:57:38 PM9/3/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(OOC: All PC writers/characters are considered “senior staff” and should be here, so you can either sim yourself getting to the Elysium, or just show up and jump in. Let’s take a few days to get out any responses to this scene and/or wrap up any ongoing scenes, and we’ll plan to jump into our next mission by the end of this week!)

((Captain’s Ready Room - Deck 1, USS Artemis ))

Addison sat perched at her desk inside the captain’s ready room. Per usual, the heavy mahogany desk was littered with PADDs, but this time, they contained the latest intelligence data from the Borderlands. There had been an increase in hostile activity - tough to say whether or not it had anything to do with the Artemis being away on shore leave - but the sudden buzz meant they needed to get back to work.

With the senior staff recalled, final systems repairs and upgrades were being signed off on and they’d be ready to get underway within the next few hours. That gave her just enough time to deal with one final matter - tending to the ribbons from their last mission.

She’d asked the senior staff to gather in the Elysium - they didn’t have time for a formal event, but asking them to gather in a place where they all felt at home seemed the most appropriate setting for acknowledging the hard work accomplished on their last mission.

As she set one PADD down and picked up the other to review the final list of commendations, the door chime rang.

MacKenzie: Come in!

Her gaze remained fixed on the PADD - that was, until a short but familiar figure made her way through the ready room doors. Addison’s eyebrows raised, a smile found its way to her lips, and she tossed the PADD down on the desktop, making a clinking sound as it bounced off the others.

MacKenzie: You’re an awful long way from home, Captain…

The petite figure of Captain Roshanara Rahman of the USS Kitty Hawk walked up to Addison at her desk. From first glance, it would seem she was just standing in flesh and blood across from her former Veritas medical officer, but she then crossed her arms.

Rahman: Am I the only one who sees the ridiculousness of having a hologram projection wait outside a door and ring a chime to then walk through into the next room where another holoprojector is already set up?

Amused, Addison offered the slightest smirk and shrugged.

MacKenzie: And yet, you just pressed the chime.

The holoprojection of Roshanara narrowed her eyes slightly.

Rahman: This was your doing wasn’t it? Telling my communications officer to send the hologram to outside your ready room first.

She shook her head, chuckling. How did she ever end up with such naughty officers?

Addison blinked her eyes very slowly - the eyes always gave her away.

MacKenzie: I can neither confirm nor deny.

Rahman: Well, you’re just lucky we found a nearby pulsar to be able to bounce the hyper-subspace signal to you.

MacKenzie: Always lucky to receive a visit from you - holographic or otherwise.

The hologram smiled back before looking around the ready room of the Luna class vessel.

Rahman: So… ::taking a few steps away from the desk to glance around the room:: …last time I saw you, you were in charge of your own ship during a lively set of “joint exercises” with the Hirogen.

MacKenzie: A foreshadowing of things to come, apparently.

She turned back around and looked at Addison.

Rahman: How are you liking a command that’s not so “temporary?” You certainly look at home sitting in that chair.

Addison stood up and pointed down at the chair.

MacKenzie: It’s even shaped like my butt now.

Her former captain let out a small snort. Command suited Addison well indeed.

The redheaded CO bit the inside of her cheek to keep from smiling, then gestured to the couch. The hologram didn’t need to sit, of course, but pleasantries were pleasantries, after all… Not to mention Addison and her former Veritas colleague Ukinix had given their former commanding officer quite the whoopin’ during their war games with the Hirogen. She moved over, sitting in one of the plush chairs across from Rahman.

MacKenzie: So, Captain - it’s not every day I get a request for a cross-galactic holo-visitor. To what do I owe the pleasure?

Rahman: Oh, I think you have a little idea…

Addison grimaced slightly, leaning forward and resting her elbows on her knees.

MacKenzie: I’m not in trouble, am I?

The holographic projection of Rahman rubbed her chin, looking up at the ceiling for a moment.

Rahman: Not officially, I suppose… but you might consider it trouble all the same.

Addison closed her eyes and shook her head.

MacKenzie: Oh, I’m glad we cleared that right up, then…

Roshanara leaned over behind one of the chairs across from Addison, crossing her arms and resting them against the chair’s back.

Rahman: You’ve caught the gaze of the Admiralty, and they’re wanting to promote you–well, actually, you don’t get a choice. They *are* promoting you.

MacKenzie’s brow furrowed and her head cocked to the left slightly.

MacKenzie: You figured I’d object? Look at this place. ::rubbing the surface of the desk:: I was going to chain myself here if they were going to try to take me away…

Roshanara returned a sly smirk.

Rahman: Yes, that’s how they get you… all the shinies. The posh ready room, the nice leather chair–does yours have cup holders by the way?

Addison looked down at the chair and raised her head, a frown on her face.

MacKenzie: Maybe the next model…

Roshanara nodded before continuing.

Rahman: …but I’m sure you’ve already discovered there’s more to being a captain than just your morning coffee and saying, “Engage.”

The redheaded CO of the Artemis opened her arms wide, gesturing to the mountain of PADDs residing on the surface of her desk.

MacKenzie: PADDwork.

The Holo-Kriosian’s eyes darted to the stack for a moment before returning to Addison.

Rahman: And plenty more coming with that fourth pip…

MacKenzie: How kind of them all to bestow this fresh level of hell on me.

Addison offered a slight smirk.

Roshanara thought about the advice she’d gotten through the years from her own captains: Coracin, Washington, Kells…

Rahman: Hmmph. But no, the real… cost of that fourth pip is that all of this-

She looked up again, pulling out a hand to gesture around the room and to the ship beyond.

Rahman: -it truly will be yours. Both the highs and the lows. The successes–the failures. The missions will be harder, the check-ins from Command fewer. And truthfully, it can be a lonely place sitting at the top if you’re not careful…

Addison propped her elbows on the chair’s armrests, her hands clasped in the middle of her chest.

MacKenzie: Insulted, perhaps. Lonely? Possibly, but I’m not so sure about that… somehow it seems that you and Teller have habits of dropping by when least expected.

Roshanara tucked her hand back into her arms as she continued to lean against the chair.

Rahman: Well, you’re a doctor, still. Surely there’s something you can prescribe to keep him away.

Addison smirked, thinking about the holo-muppet Teller that currently resided in their Sickbay. It was the engineer’s sick version of a joke - a “gift” he called it - to the new CO of the Artemis.

MacKenzie: Away, perhaps, but never as far as you think he is.

Roshanara returned a grim nod. Almost like the tagline for a horror holonovel.

Rahman: Anyway, my point is… it’s not too late to resign.

MacKenzie offered an amused eye roll.

MacKenzie: My dear Captain, it is far too late to resign.

Her former CO nodded again, almost as if she were genuinely pondering if that was true.

Rahman: Mmm… perhaps you’re right. ::beat:: But… before you do officially accept… do you have any questions I can answer?

MacKenzie: Does this mean I have the authority to launch the new ensigns out an airlock, now?

Rahman: Well, Addison, as I’ve always said… space is very dangerous… I’m sure your reports will attest to that.

MacKenzie: From the Shoals to the Borderlands, that’s part of the job.

Roshanara smiled back warmly.

Rahman: Indeed.

She stood up then, looking to Addison to lead the way.

Rahman: All right then… where are we doing this?

Addison stood, pointing to the door. This way - they’re likely already waiting.

((Elysium, Deck 5 - USS Artemis))

Standing before the assembled officers and crew of the Artemis, Roshanara read the prepared text from the Admiralty on the PADD in her hand as Addison stood next to her.

Rahman: “...for exemplary leadership and action in a manner consistent with the principles and ideals of the Federation, the Office of the Admiralty hereby sees fit to promote Addison Katherine MacKenzie to the rank of Captain, with the responsibilities and privileges thereof.”

Roshanara took out the additional pip that she was about to place on Addison’s collar. She held it out for a moment to show the audience.

Rahman: Just one more pip and yet I assure you all it will feel heavier than the other three combined.

There were a few suppressed chuckles, perhaps unsure if it was appropriate or not to acknowledge the senior captain’s remark.

MacKenzie: ::eying Roshanara:: And I thought the third one was bad…

Roshanara turned back to Addison, holding out the pip.

Rahman: Addison MacKenzie, my former shipmate… my friend. It is an honor to have been a part of your journey in this noble profession and to have watched how far you’ve come. I am delighted now to add “colleague” to those titles as you join that special order of a Starfleet Captain.

She moved forward and placed the fourth pip onto Addison’s collar before stepping back and extending her hand.

Rahman: Congratulations, Captain.

MacKenzie: The honor and privilege of serving with you has been mine, Captain. And to have you be the one to bestow this honor on me is… fitting. I’ll do my best to make you proud.

She smiled as she shook the Kriosian’s hand.

As she did so, Roshanara felt a memory returning to her then.

((FLASHBACK: Stardate 239602.20 - Captain’s Ready Room, USS Veritas))

Roshanara and Del looked over to see their new arrival, a striking woman with red hair and blue eyes to match her blue uniform tunic. The ensign gave a salute straight out of boot camp.

MacKenzie: Captain Rahman - Ensign Addison MacKenzie, reporting for duty.

The captain nodded.

Rahman: At ease and welcome aboard, Doctor. ::gesturing to Del:: Let me introduce you to your new colleague: Dr. Nic del Vedova.

del Vedova: You wouldn't happen to be a new physician, would you? Please tell me you are.

MacKenzie: ::offering a disarming smile:: Indeed I am! I'm a surgeon, actually. I graduated from the Academy a few years ago, but I just finished a microsurgery fellowship at NYU.

del Vedova: We're dreadfully, dreadfully short at the moment. ::He held out a hand for her to shake.:: I'm Del.

Roshanara watched approvingly as the new medical officer returned the handshake.

MacKenzie: I'm Addison. It's a pleasure to meet you, sir. Your reputation precedes you... there are some things I'd love to pick your brain about sometime, when you have a moment.

del Vedova: Always. Now that I'm changing where my office is, I'll have to do a little redecorating...

Doctor MacKenzie returned her attention to the captain, handing her a PADD.

MacKenzie: My orders, ma'am.

Roshanara skimmed over the details before confirming receipt of the assignment.

Rahman: All right, every looks in order, doctor.

MacKenzie: Is there anything else I can do for either of you?

((END FLASHBACK))

As Addison’s crew applauded, Roshanara leaned in during the handshake.

Rahman: I’m glad it didn’t take too long for you to learn to drop the salute.

Addison snorted.

MacKenzie: Well, when you to go Limbo with someone, saluting hardly feels necessary after a bond like that…

Roshanara looked back at Captain MacKenzie one last time before the holo-stream ended.

Rahman: Safe voyages, Captain. Never forget who you are and why you’re in that chair, and you’ll always find your way home.

Addison bowed her head slightly.

MacKenzie: Give my best to the crew of the Kitty Hawk - you’ve got a good bunch there.

Rahman: And you’ve got your own now as well.

The holo-projection nodded before shimmering away.

Captain Roshanara Rahman

CO, USS Kitty Hawk

I238705TZ0

&

Captain Addison MacKenzie, M.D., Ph.D., FASFS

Commanding Officer

USS Artemis-A

Captains Council Magistrate

V239601AM0