LtJG Gila Sadar - Heartfelt Platitudes

Gila Sadar

May 6, 2024, 2:24:36 PMMay 6
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Sickbay, Deck 07 — USS Artemis-A))

Yellir: In that case— would it be too much trouble to ask for a referral, Lieutenant?

In the midst of her own self-realization on what being a Lieutenant actually meant in context - specifically that it wasn’t something to run away from, but instead something to aspire to, and prove herself worthy of - Gila didn’t have the presence of mind to realize that her own apparent discomfort with the entire situation had affected the Lieutenant’s mental state, or that the extremely apparent relief and provoked epiphany she now experienced had a similar effect, only in a more positive direction.

Sadar: ::warmer voice:: That would be no trouble at all, Sir. I’ll forward a referral to Commander Jashkaa as soon as our consultation has concluded. ::continues her scans:: Well, beyond the slight sleep deficiency that you’ve mentioned, I see no other causes to be concerned. Fit for duty.

Yellir: Perfect, then I shall be by the Counsellor’s office as soon as I can. Thank you.

It felt odd to be thanked for being generally extremely unhelpful and prejudiced for the entirety of the appointment, especially considering the rather significant effect the Lieutenant’s visit had had on Gila’s personal viewpoint on her current situation on the Artemis-A. Considering that she’d been on the fence about whether to still resign her position or not at the end of their current period of shore leave, and now instead felt uncharacteristically motivated to live up to the expectations placed on her with the unexpected promotion.

oO Now, show your gratitude for that, only without sounding like a complete idiot. Oo

Sadar: ::starts putting the medical equipment away:: Of course, Sir. It’s what we’re here for… And, uhh… Thank you. ::blunders:: F-For coming in, that is.

oO I hate myself. Oo

Yellir: Of course! Well, we all have to get checkups eventually, no need to thank me for the bare minimum.

As her patient rose from the biobed, Gila felt a twinge of shame and regret. ‘The bare minimum’... Yeah… First on the list of things in order to prove her competence as a Lieutenant Junior Grade? Actually get her first on-board physical done.

Speak of a poor example!

Sadar: O-Of course...

Lieutenant Yellir moved towards the Sickbay doors, and Gila prepared to move on to her next engagement for the shift, when she noted that the vibrant blur of pink and purple hadn’t yet vacated the corner of her eye. A moment later, the melodic voice drifted her way again.

Yellir: If anything stops working in here, do give me a call. I’ll make sure it’s a priority.

Gila smiled. It was a platitude, perhaps, as she’d never found any cause to question the effectivity of the Artemis’ Engineering Department thus far, but while she was certain that a malfunction in Sickbay pretty automatically was given high priority, she appreciated the sentiment all the same.

Sadar: Thank you, Sir. Until next time.

Which was hopefully not too soon - professional appointments with a medical officer shouldn’t happen too frequently, or there were multiple more complicated questions that had to be asked - but proper manners and all that.

Turning back to her work, Gila let out a breath that had festered in her lungs for a long while, suddenly feeling exhausted and invigorated. She felt like she could single-handedly handle a severe mining accident's worth of patients, while also feeling like she wanted to sleep for a week. An odd feeling…

But not an unwelcome one.

End Scene for Gila Sadar

LtJG Gila Sadar

Medical Officer