LtJG Jovenan – Deus ex machina transportationis

Jovenan

Jul 18, 2023, 2:36:15 AM7/18/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Bridge, USS Artemis))

The Artemis had taken quite a beating. The Berlin was in bad shape. The Suliban ship was damaged.

None of the ships within the Nebula was in condition to fight and defeat one another, but since the two Starfleet ships were on the same sides, for once, the Suliban ship had a sever disadvantage. Not only had the Starfleet overpowered them, but the computer also gave an alarming warning of their status.

Jovenan: An energy build-up within the enemy ship, a chain reaction of some kind. They’re severely damaged, the ship’s warp core might breach if they can’t stabilise it.

She turned to see the Suliban ship. Just a minute or a few ago, she had wanted – attempted – to destroy the vessel and put the crew out of their misery. But now, she only felt pity. What had gone to her? It would have been wrong to kill off a ship full of pirates. Or would it have been? They had willingly broken the law, they were criminals. She shook her head and tried not think the moral conundrum before her, hoping the Captain would solve it correctly, if needed.

Sadar: S-Sensors are picking up transporter activity from the Suliban ship.

Transporters? We’re under attack! At least they managed to evacuate themselves. Eliminate the boarders! Hopefully they all got out. Kill them!

She quickly turned to her console, sweeping the ship for new boarders. The internal sensors – nor the external ones for that matter – had not yet been completely fixed and brought back to full capacity, so it was likely they missed something. Yet, any report could help them spot where the Suliban went.

Jovenan: I’m not detecting new intruders onboard. Either they managed to slip in or they’re on the Berlin.

Yalu: I wouldn’t be surprised if both were true.

Sadar: Sensors are reading weapon discharges aboard the Berlin. Nebula interference is interfering with accurate accounts of lifesigns, so I can't tell how many Suliban are over there.

They… are attacking the Berlin? Ugh, so long for them evacuating and surrendering.

Yalu: I’m attempting to access the Suliban ship’s computer core. If it’s going to blow, we should try to get whatever data we can. ::beat:: The ship has an expired registration with authorities on Beta Antares IV, under the name Sarna. The registry shows a crew complement of 31, but the schematics on file don’t match what our sensors are telling us. It’s clear this old boat has been extensively modified. Off the record.

Now they had a name for the Suliban ship. The Sarna. The unknown modifications were both unexpected and expected. It was not unusual for a criminal group to mod their ship, typically increasing speed, manoeuvrability, firepower or stealth, but some more exotic changes were not unheard of either. But all these black-market alterations had risks. Who knew what could happen now that their systems had taken damage?

MacKenzie: Well that’s certainly interesting but not relevant in the immediate. What’s their status, and are we able to mount a rescue? Move us closer, Yogan – neither us or the Berlin have enough shield strength if that ship goes critical…

Commander Yalu brought the Artemis gracefully closer to the Berlin. Shared shields would aid both vessels, although Jovenan wasn’t exactly sure if that was still enough to protect them in case the Sarna went boom. And if the Suliban could manage to take over the Berlin, they’d have a much bigger problem.

Sadar: Maybe we could try and… Use our own transporters? Maybe beam some physical method of communication on board? It would also be a way for us to check if the transporters function properly in case we need them for evacuations.

Maybe? Now that they were closer to the Berlin and soon sharing the shields, they might be able to send something over to them. Beaming something to Sarna would be trickier.

Yalu: I’m equalizing our shield harmonics with Berlin’s. We’ll both be stronger if we share.

MacKenzie: And let’s see if we can beam the intruders on the Berlin directly to the brig… Re-route non-essential power to the forcefields.

That could work, too. Their computer systems were still not up to the normal standards, so using transporters was difficult, but then again, the Artemis and Berlin were almost directly on top of one another and there were no shields in between, so it should be a lot easier.

Jovenan: Aye, sir. Re-routing energy, raising transporters to stand-by.

Yalu: Force field emitters are at full strength. Sealing off all of Deck 8.

MacKenzie: Can we get a lock on the Suliban on the Artemis while we’re at it?

Sealing off the deck 8 would effectively seal them in, but there were still a lot of things on deck 8 that they would not want the Suliban intruders to have their hands on. Not to mention, they had no evidence yet to conclude they were no boarders on any other deck either.

Sadar: Response

Yalu: ::shakes head:: Internal sensors are still going haywire. I’d just beam the whole lot to the brig if I could get a lock on them. They’ll just have to apprehend them the old fashioned way.

The Captain shook her head.

MacKenzie: No doubt Dakora and Silveira are on it…

Jovenan tried checking what the computer said of the status of Teams Dakora and Silveira.

Jovenan: The sensors aren’t in full capacity, but it seems our teams have moved into the Intel Suite. They’ve probably trapped the intruders there.

Sadar: Response

Yalu: Captain, we’re close enough to Berlin’s bridge that you should just be able to use your combadge’s built-in transceiver to contact someone over there.

Oh, that was true! Normally they’d redirect the combadge signal through the ship’s comm systems to boost it, but now it might be more efficient to bypass them and go for a direct contact. The combadges had quite a range, and even though the ship’s internal systems could hinder that, the two ships were so close it might just work. The Captain shrugged and gave it a try.

MacKenzie: =/\= MacKenzie to Berlin… =/\=

The channel was open, but no one answered. Instead, they heard sounds that resembled too closely those of a firefight. It made Jovenan nervous. Her friends were fighting for their lives out there!

MacKenzie: Lieutenant, can we boost power enough to get the Suliban off the Berlin and into our brig?

Jovenan: Uhh… We aren’t needing all the external sensors nor propulsion right now, so… yes, Captain.

MacKenzie: What is the status of your teams, Doctor Sadar?

Sadar: Response

The Captain had a deep breath while she nodded slowly. It looked like they were going to end the firefight on the Berlin themselves.

MacKenzie: Let’s end this. Commander, coordinate whatever security teams are still available and reinforce the area around the brig. Lieutenant, whenever you have enough power, start locking onto Suliban lifesigns and get them off the Berlin.

Jovenan nodded quickly. Let’s hope this is the end of their long day.

Jovenan: Aye, sir!

Yalu/Sadar: Response

In a way, it was funny how many different systems she had had to operate over they day. The sensors – both external and internal – and the communications, the graviton pulse emitter, the environmental controls subprocessors, the phasers and now the transporters. And she even had the competence to use most of those systems.

Now, to the Berlin. The sensors were picking up Suliban lifesigns from the bridge, but as of yet, not from any other deck. The transporter targeting scanner could even specify their number; four Suliban, fighting the Berlin bridge crew. She could even tell there were a Yelikan, a Caitian, a Vulcan and a Denobulan in there, but oddly enough, not a Betazoid. Had something happened to Commander Adea?

Jovenan: I’m detecting four Suliban on the bridge. Locking in.

MacKenzie/Yalu/Sadar: Response

The Suliban were relatively immobile, probably taking cover against the Berlin crew. That made Jovenan’s job a lot easier. She wasn’t exactly a transporter operator, so an easy target was just making it safer for all parties involved. They didn’t want to cause a transporter accident on the Suliban.

oO Or do we? Oo

oO No, we do not. Oo

She targeted the Suliban lifesigns and established the site-to-site transport interlock. The other end of the interlock was in the brig, and while she tried to place each Suliban to different holdout cells, she decided it was far more crucial to get them off the Berlin than to spend any more time on the issue.

Jovenan: Lock established. Transporting.

MacKenzie/Yalu/Sadar: Response

Her fingers slid across the interface, and the Suliban were soon dematerialized from the Berlin bridge, probably confusing the Starfleet officers onboard a lot. Then she activated the rematerialization process, making sure to remove their weapons first. Soon, the system registered four Suliban on the Artemis, in the brig area.

Jovenan: ::deep breath:: The Suliban are onboard, sir.

MacKenzie/Yalu/Sadar: Response

TAG/TBC
----
Lieutenant JG Jovenan