Capt. Shayne: Broth 'n Cloth

Quinn

Sep 7, 2022, 1:28:14 PM9/7/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((On the hull, USS Excalibur))

Shayne: With your permission, commodore, I’d like to borrow a few of your crew; though they won’t be needed until the appointed time.

How accidentally villainous did that sound? Not that he particularly minded that- there was a part of him that enjoyed being that bad guy. Maybe it was a malfeasant mischief streak, or a deep-rooted urge for destruction. Either way, there was nothing wrong with making people laugh at a joke that they only realized through his evil smirk wasn’t guaranteed to be jest.

MacKenzie: Take them. All of them. As many as you’d like. …No questions, no returns.

On the other hand, there was always someone who could take it farther. He smiled widely and genuinely at MacKenzie- he wished he’d had more time to catch up with her, but duty called, and kept calling, and finally stalked him to get what it wanted.

Nicholotti: I am certain you will find no shortage of volunteers willing to assist when the time comes.

On a ship as crazy as Excalibur, Shayne thought, that was probably truer than most elsewhere.

MacKenzie: I think we’re all set here – we can go ahead and get started whenever you both are ready.

Shayne gave a solemn, peaceable nod- all the better to hide his nervousness with. Damn, did he hate waiting. Once he was up there, past experience had taught him that his crew would be understanding and magnanimous towards any issue he had at the podium. But until then, the doubt would always exist.

Shayne: I should be ready momentarily- if you’d care to go first, Commodore? This is your shindig.

Nicholotti: No time like the present then.

((Timeskip))

::It was an intriguing concept, one that Shayne was slightly embarrassed to have missed in his earlier command. Having chiefs recognize the lower decks onboard served the dual purpose of saving him from embarrassing interactions and made sure that those in a position to actually observe exemplary performance were the ones providing the accolades. It made much sense.

Part of him felt dismayed at the thought that there was still so much he had to learn, and yet another part- the part of him that wished to build and grow and improve insatiably- savored the fact.

Nicholotti: Ready?

Shayne snapped himself from his reverie, and answered softly.

Shayne: Indeed.

Nicholotti: Good.

((Timeskip))

A number of ribbons were presented, in a fashion Shayne found reminiscent of his own procedures. He preferred these events to be gently formal, but now he saw that uniforms and stiffness did not breed or maintain respect. There was plenty of that to go around for the Excalibur crew. Something to strive for.

Nicholotti: And now, if everyone would join me in welcoming Captain Shayne, he will be presenting the awards for the crew of the USS Arrow.

Shayne: Thank you, Commodore.

He stepped forward, cleared his throat, and gestured to the small pile of wood boxes next to him.

Shayne: I am once again asking you to stop being so damned heroic. The paperwork is…

He sighed, feigning deep discontent. He reached for the first box.

Shayne: Commander Collins to the for’ard.

Part of communication was more than just learning the language; it involved learning someone else’s language, and Collins’ rather obsessive attraction to the age of sail was something Shayne could understand, if not necessarily command with.

Shayne: Mr. Collins, we both know of challenges aplenty you’ve faced with dignity and aplomb. Some are more common knowledge than others. As such, I believe this Department Chief Ribbon may mean something even greater to you than it might others. Whether that is good or not, I cannot say, but I will say with certainty that this ship is better for having you, and I am grateful to call you one of my officers. Congratulations, Commander.

Collins: Response

A hand shake, a transfer of awards, and it was on to the next worthy soul.

Shayne: Messrs. Serinus, O’Malley, and Waters join me.

The first of their duties was to the truth, but that wasn’t a simple agenda at the best of times, let alone while under the pressure they experienced at the edge of known space. Their cooperation made a bad situation, well… slightly less bad.

Shayne: I am pleased with each of you. Your efforts on Odyssey Station helped ensure that casualties were limited, and that this ship made it home safely. As such, you are each awarded the Starfleet Investigation Ribbon for your efforts. Congratulations.

Three sets of handshakes followed, and Shayne resolved to spend some time talking to each of them when the situation allowed it.

Shayne: Commander R’Ariel, step forward, please.

In most ways worth describing, R’Ariel was the soul of the ship’s crew. If he’d sung her praises once, he’d done so a thousand times, but her true value could never be encapsulated so succinctly.

Shayne: Counselor, once again your services have been invaluable. Though it would be imprudent to discuss medical matters in this environment, please know that there is no one onboard who hasn’t, in one way or another, benefited from your care and your compassion. Please accept the Trauma Support Advocate Ribbon and my congratulations.

R’Ariel: Response

The last victim of the evening was due up.

Shayne: Ensign Dewitt, to the front.

Shayne waited for the engineer to join him.

Shayne: Mr. Dewitt, your service to this ship in the relatively brief time you’ve been a member of the crew has been exemplary. I hereby order you to stop- you’re making the rest of us look bad.

He paused just long enough to convey that he was not serious, just in case anyone was to take him literally.

Shayne: As a result of your contributions and capable service, I am pleased to present you the Starfleet Innovation Ribbon.

Shayne handed over the box and shook the engineer’s hand. But there was something else.

Shayne: One more thing to consider, Mr. Dewitt. For that same aforementioned dedication and ability, I am pleased to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade, with all the commensurate privileges and responsibilities. Congratulations!

Shayne offered the man his second wooden box, this one with a hollow pip.

Dewitt: Response

As the applause died down, Shayne addressed the whole of his crew.

Shayne: Similarly, all hands- that is to say, all personnel assigned to the Arrow- will be receiving the Maquis Reborn Service Ribbon. And finally…

He held the final ribbon box up.

Shayne: Commander Niac, please join me up here.

As the grizzled engineer approached, Shayne allowed himself a small smile.

Shayne: Commander, I hold my crew in exceptional esteem, but much of what was accomplished over this shore leave would not have been possible without your hard work and resourcefulness. As a result, I am pleased to award you the Captain’s Commendation for your assistance and your work on behalf of this gnarly little ship of ours. Thank you.

Niac: Response

With a final handshake, Shayne addressed the assembled crowds.

Shayne: With that, Arrow’s ribbons are distributed.

Shayne paused.

Shayne: Let’s eat.

He glanced at the commodore off to the side.

Shayne: Assuming that’s acceptable?

Nicholotti: Response (?)

TBC/END

Captain Randal Shayne