Lieutenant Commander Chloe Waters: Inconsistencies

Jesse

Jun 28, 2022, 5:13:35 PM6/28/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Engineering, Deck 3 -- U.S.S Arrow))

The needle in a haystack. It was an often used metaphor to describe something difficult to find. But the metaphor implied that one knew what they were looking for. As Chloe entered engineering with Roxy, she really had no idea what they were looking for. Surely something would be out of place. But what? Misplaced from where? Relocated, to where? As Chloe took a position at a console and began to look over some diagnostics, she wondered how long it would take for them to spot something.

Wilde: Huh

Not long, apparently. Chloe turned and regarded Roxy, resting one hand off to the side of her console's touch interface.

Waters: Find something already, Roxy?

Wilde: Something is definitely amiss. Here...

Chloe watched Roxy handle the computer like a master, and before long she was handing a PADD over to the helmswoman. Chloe took it and started scrolling through. It appeared to be a log of assignments for the engineering staff. The first one she had read. Chloe gave Roxy a slightly puzzled look.

Wilde: These work logs have been altered.

Waters: You sound quite certain. Do you have anything to corroborate this?

Message Content Wilde: Only my word on that, I'm afraid. I only submit one log into the computer, so I have no initial rosters. But this isn't what I assigned Ensign Braddox to do. He should have been keeping an eye on structural integrity, not the power input.

Chloe shook her head in disbelief. That seemed like too easy a find. Was it placed there to distract them? If so, from what?

Waters: A rather glaring flaw if it is true.

Wilde: If Braddox was going to implicate himself, yes. As it stands...

Waters: As it stands, we do not have much more to go off of, it seems. The log may lead us somewhere. However, part of me wonders if it could be a distraction from a less obvious clue.

Roxy tapped her communicator and Chloe continued to examine the logs on her own console. System data logs, power utilization logs, looking for any clue she might've missed. So far, there didn't seem to be anything. All systems appeared normal... wait...

Wilde: We need to unscramble this data signature and recover the original logs. If we're clever, we can decipher who changed them.

Waters: Indeed. However, there are additional steps we can take.

Wild: Response

Waters: Check the consoles themselves. Each console keeps a log of who accesses it, when, and what they were doing.

Wild: Response

Waters: Unfortunately, I am not certain if my credentials are sufficient enough to access that information.

Wild/O'Malley: Response

Tag, TBC

Lieutenant Commander Chloe Waters

Helmswoman