Capt. Shayne: Kudos

Quinn

Jan 15, 2024, 2:06:41 PMJan 15
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Deck 4, Starboard Bow, USS Arrow))

He had two options.

The first was to sneak into the Bow and pray for a low profile. It wasn’t likely, given his chosen garb, but there would be enough people there by now to help him blend in, at least somewhat. He could mosey to the front of the room, stand behind a very convenient podium, hope that its breadth was wide enough to cover up his legs, and begin with an emphasis on strident movement forward.

Hell, he could probably beam in, but that would raise questions- more than it would be worth. Besides, intership beaming (though much safer nowadays than it had been) was still frowned upon for the risks it created (often unnecessarily) and for the disorder it promoted. Late to your shift? Beam in. Need a quick getaway? Beam out. He wasn’t in the habit of encouraging hypocrisy, so that option was out.

Thus he was left with one viable possibility, one that he had been preparing to face anyway, and one that had yet to let him down, despite the fears that existed anyway. He could march in their, proud and aware of his thick legs and hairy skin and knobbly knees, and glare down anyone that stared at him askance with a penetrating “captains only” glower, all the while keeping his tone pleasant and personable. Comments? Reply with thanks. Laughter? Wink and keep walking. Catcalls? Well… if anyone had the cajones to catcall a line officer, he’d recommend them for promotion while they stewed in the brig. Or maybe he’d simply let Ash handle that. This was her idea, after all.

MacKenna: Response

They stopped, and looked into the converted bar and ballroom. To think, some four or five years ago most of this wasn’t made, and with the perseverance that only having no holodeck could bring, it had been turned into a pleasant, if not downright festive locale for the officers to take a load off. It was more than that though; it was a social hub, a hotspot, a place for people to bond and drink and laugh. Of all the things Arrow was, he never thought that was part of what she’d become. It made him smile despite it all.

Shayne: Shall we?

They stepped in together, doors parting with a hissing insistence. To Shayne’s alarm, the entire place was packed; he had hoped to arrive earlier but his hemming and hawing about lines and fitting and “do I really have to do this” left them somewhat delayed. Drinks were flowing, talks were being had, and Shayne realized that, even without the ceremony, there was something to bring them all together.

It made him happy.

Not so happy that he neglected to immediately make his way to the podium, but miracles were fickle things, and rarely came in pairs.

He cleared his throat, tapped the mic gently, and began to speak into it.

Shayne: Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for being here. Your attention if you please.

Like well-oiled machinery, the various men, women and others began to take their places, pausing conversations and looking forward. The stack of boxes gleamed.

Shayne: Here we are again.

So rote, and yet exactly what he meant. Time only passed quickly to those who let their hands off the reins. This was one more way to grab them; to recognize that this wasn’t forever, but it was for now, and that was permanent.

Shayne: Before we dive into the ceremonies properly, I have an alarming fact to share with you all.

A murmur of conversation muffled its way to the surface.

Shayne: It is with distinct surprise and delight that I announce not one single person has qualified for a Purple Heart this ceremony.

He led an earnest round of applause. He’d often remarked upon the great distress that handing out recognitions of injury like candy caused him, and the fact that this was probably the first time in Arrow’s history that this had happened, he was keen to remark upon the occasion.

Shayne: I make jokes, I kid, but the fact is Starfleet is dangerous, space is dangerous, what we do is dangerous. Injury is inevitable, no matter how careful and cautious we are. When injury is avoided, it is through the ability, support and teamwork of our peers and comrades. No one on this ship stands alone, and this proves it. As such, I am pleased to announce that every single person here will be receiving the Unity Ribbon, for their contributions to keeping one another healthy and capable for the adventures to come.

He wasn’t about to give a box to each person present; that would take hours, but the approvals and the boxes themselves were waiting in their quarters.

Any: Response

Shayne: And now for some more specific kudos; Commander Waters, step forward if you please.

Rumours spread on a ship faster than germs, and what Shayne had heard about Waters’ interaction with Cad- Ensign- Lacy encouraged the captain greatly.

Shayne: Commander, your unique abilities demand unique skills on your part, and the assumption of unique risks. Putting yourself in uncomfortable but necessary harm’s way for the betterment of your crewmates and the mission is most commendable. Please accept the Legion of Merit for your actions, and my congratulations for your successes.

Waters: Response

He crossed one arm over the over; one held the box with the ribbon, the other grasped Chloe’s hand in a firm but friendly handshake.

Shayne: Ensign Orsalen! To the for’ard.

Ensign Orsalen was not difficult to pick out in the crowd, but it still astonished the captain how much variety there truly was to be grateful for on this one little ship in the Isles.

Orsalen: Response

Shayne: Ensign, one of the most difficult things to do in crisis is to keep a level head, while simultaneously thinking outside the box. I can think of few more harrowing circumstances than slowly suffocating to death, and yet your idea to use the thruster packs on the station to help supply the away team with breathable air was inspired. As such, I’m pleased to award you the Innovation Ribbon for your capable actions and your forward thinking. Congratulations.

Orsalen: Response

He was always happy to hand out Innovation awards; it meant something useful had come from the mission for future reference, even if it wasn’t the most desirable outcome.

Shayne: Mr. Hobart! Face the music, sir!

Hobart weaved his way forward, and Shayne waited patiently. Maybe they needed to add less seating in the middle of the room.

Shayne: Mr. Hobart, your assistance with Commander Waters’ probe was instrumental in accomplishing a successful mission, and your expertise has long been an asset to this vessel. As such, I’m pleased to award you the Innovation Ribbon, for outstanding engineering prowess in the face of adversity and the unknown. Congratulations.

One hand gave the box, the other shook Hobart’s own. He thought back to where he’d first seen it done, and smiled.

Hobart: Response

Shayne: Mr. Zenno! You’ll kindly join me.

Offsetting Orsalen’s vivid green was an equally vivid blue as Zenno marched forward with the bearing of a security officer that Shayne had learned to trust and respect.

Shayne: Mr. Zenno, I know you’ve taken on a great deal in a short span of time, under less than ideal circumstances. Let it be known that your efforts are valued and have been noticed; please accept the Captain’s Commendation for your service.

Zenno: Response

So much of what a security officer- let alone a security chief- did was unseen, unappreciated. Sometimes it was because others didn’t know what went on behind the scenes, sometimes it was a matter of security, but it always meant that security gave of itself in ways Shayne found difficult to reconcile.

Shayne: Mr. Kane! Join me, please.

There was another smattering of whispers; Kane was a new addition to the crew, but according to the reports Shayne had seen, there was reason to be glad he was aboard.

Shayne: Mr. Kane, you have recently been frocked as a full ensign. There are many things to look forward to, but that’s no reason to neglect the achievements of the past; as such, I’m delighted to award you the Starfleet Academy Graduate Ribbon, as formal recognition of your achievement.

Kane: Response

And from the Science Academy, no less. Shayne wondered how long it would take for his head to explode if he ever set foot in the place.

Shayne: Finally, for ribbons… Mr. Dewitt! Step forward if you please!

This was one he’d been personally looking forward to granting the man, and a more deserving soul he could not imagine. Dewitt quickly made his way forward.

Shayne: Mr. Dewitt, you’ve led our engineering department for over six months now with grace, skill, efficiency and principle. You have made this aging, beautiful rustbucket breathe new life again, both for her crew and her mission in the Isles. You have earned recognition and reward, and a small part of that takes the form of the Department Chief Ribbon, which you officially qualify for. Congratulations, and thank you for your efforts!

Dewitt: Response

Shayne shook his hand, passed the box, and then clapped loudly along with the rest of the crew for the assembled recipients. He breathed, satisfied, but he wasn’t done yet.

Shayne: I’m not finished with you yet, folks- god help you if you’re called next!

Any: Response

((OOC: I shall finish this up presently. Don’t go anywhere! :D ))

Tag/TBC…

Captain Randal Shayne

Commanding Officer

USS Arrow