Capt. Shayne: Grosgrain and Gold Part II

Quinn

Jun 17, 2023, 11:43:00 PM6/17/23
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Arboretum, Deep Space 33)) Shayne: Lieutenant Jacin to the front!

Jacin’s first foray into away team leadership had not gone well, though with Ensign Slipka’s recent recall to Earth for unspecified reasons, he was even more confident that extending the benefit of the doubt was called for here.

Shayne: Lieutenant. Your actions during this latest operation were correct, in line with the ideals of Starfleet, and matched or exceeded my expectations. Despite the difficulties you experienced, you maintained a command presence over your team to their betterment, and, if I may be so bold, made me damned proud. I am therefore honored to award you the Leadership Excellence Ribbon. Congratulations.

More applause- Shayne made a mental note to hand out gloves in the future so as to avoid unnecessarily calloused hands after each ceremony.

Jacin: Response

Shayne: In addition, you also suffered considerable injury in your pursuit of your duties, and it is with equally mixed feelings that I present you this Purple Heart. Please let this be the last one?

He knew it was not a promise they could honestly aspire to uphold, but it felt right to ask anyway. Awarding someone for getting hurt was a risky business at the best of times, but some people made a career out of it. He’d not stand for that. No, sir.

Jacin: Response

With more applause, Jacin disembarked, and the captain called his next victim.

Shayne: Mr. Collins! Join me please.

Collins, he knew, had not had an easy… well… had not had it easy. Inquiries at command, family troubles… it would be enough to weigh on anyone’s mind, and in Quentin’s case, these problems, and the small, irritating matters that were just reality aboard a starship in his position, compounded one another. And yet, he had performed admirably, and continued to do so. Shayne had a faith in the man he doubted he had in himself.

Shayne: Mr. Collins, your service as our Chief Science Officer continues to bring us good fortune and better outcomes than we have any right to hope for in these convoluted circumstances we get into. For your courage and professionalism, I am pleased to recognize you with the Legion of Merit. This one I don’t mind giving out so much, so for all our sakes, keep it up.

He smiled and extended the box and his hand.

Collins: Response

With Collins acknowledged, the next person on the list was actually three people.

Shayne: Messrs. Seesh, R’Ariel and Ohnari, to the front please.

It took a little longer for three individuals to make their way forward, but little did they know this would not be the last time that evening.

Shayne: You three. I’ll be blunt; you are the reasons that I’m presenting Purple Hearts and not presiding over funerals. Without your remarkable and timely medical know-how and courage, both in the moment and in the long term, this crew wouldn’t have a prayer of seeing the tomorrow we all long for. As such, I am pleased to recognize each of you with the Trauma Support Advocate Ribbon. I am glad to have you all, even if the medical department is a little snug at the moment. Congratulations and thank you again.

R’Ariel/Ohnari/Seesh: Response

Hands (or claws) were shaken respectfully, and boxes were distributed.

Shayne: Mr. Serinus! Forward march.

He hoped that Serinus wouldn’t take the command as literally as one might- there were a lot of tables to trudge through if that was the case.

Shayne: Mr. Serinus, you have acted once more in the service of your comrades and the interests of Starfleet, and at no small amount of peril to yourself. As such, trope though it may be, I’m pleased to award you the Captain’s Commendation. As always, thank you.

Serinus: Response

The boxes were starting to dwindle, but there were still plenty to go around.  Tag/TBC... Captain Randal Shayne Commanding Officer

USS Arrow NCC 69829 G239202RS0