Lt. j.g. Ar'Gorvalei - Rage Against the Machine

1 view

Jamie Comeau

Jun 30, 2022, 9:09:23 AM6/30/22
to USS Arrow – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Interior. Odyssey Station, Corridor Control Waystation 19.))

Ar’Gorvalei jumped as Gareth-6 suddenly materialized behind him and looked over his shoulder.

Gareth-6: We could allow transport back to your ship if the confinement is harmful in some manner. Usually we would wait until your destination has been chosen, but if you allow such behavior on your ship, we will not judge nor argue.

Collins: No, not harmful. More confusing, I think.

Dewitt: We don't allow such a behaviour. But Mr Hitchcock seems to have been influenced by unfamiliar circumstances. On the Arrow, our medical staff might be able to treat him.

Ensign Dewitt looked questioningly at Ar’Gorvalei.

Ar’Gorvalei: We need to diagnose his condition on our ship.

Gareth-6/Any: Response

Dewitt: Please send him directly to sickbay. ::to Ar'Gorvalei:: We might have to call in Mr Hitchcock's situation?

Ar’Gorvalei: ::Tapping his communicator:: =/\= Ar’Gorvalei to Sickbay. Please arrange an emergency medical transport for Crewman Hitchcock. He appears to have been … affected by the station or our recent transit. He may be violent.

Any Sickbay: Response

A transporter beam caught Mr. Hitchcock and he vanished from inside the sphere, which collapsed into nothingness once it was empty.

Ar’Gorvalei: ::Nodding to Gareth-6:: Thank you.

Gareth-6/Any: Response

Dewitt: How is it that we can read the information shown on your consoles? Did you translate them for us?

Gareth-6: The station will show you what you want, you will have to work out where to go.

Collins: So you keep saying, but how?!

Jacin: Gareth 6, is this the interface?

Dewitt: Interface for what?

Gareth 6/Ar'Gorvalei/:Response

Ar’Gorvalei came around to see what Ayemet was referring to. There appeared to be insertion points formed in the shapes of human hands.

Ayemet nodded.

Jacin: So in theory someone would put a hand  :indicating the blank sections: here and here and that would enable a connection to the machine?

Dewitt: You want to connect to the machine? ::pause:: Is that why there is no command functionality in the console? Is it a telepathic connection the station is looking for?

Gareth-6: We understand the Ways have been forgotten. We have been forgotten. How can I assist you in remembering how to use this station?

Jacin: Commander Collins, we need to explore this station more. I can that is literally what we are isn’t it? Explorers. This is an incredible opportunity. We should be making the most of it.

Ar’Gorvalei felt himself grow cold as he realized that Ayemet was suggesting that she interface with the strange, alien device. She was already having trouble controlling her powers after passing through the Galactic Barrier, if that was even the cause. There was no telling what connecting her mind to this device would do to her.

Collins: A moment, Mister Jacin. We still have no idea how-

Ar’Gorvalei: I would highly advise against it until we have more information...

Dewitt/Nakada: RESPONSE

Jacin: I interface with the station here. I can download any information whilst you all explore the Station and by the time you return I’ll have the information  and we can return to Earth, or wherever we think Captain Shayne and Commander Mackenzie are.

Collins: Lieutenant, I understand your drive. I share it too. But I won't allow one of my officers to "interface" with an immensely powerful, UNKNOWN technology just on the off-chance it might work. You are all much too valuable to risk that way.

Ar’Gorvalei: I concur.

Dewitt/Nakada: RESPONSE

Jacin: Okay So Ensign Dewitt or Lieutenant Ar’Gorvalei can remain with me and monitor me. You know this makes sense, Commander. It's what the very purpose of Starfleet is.

Collins: And what happens when this technology adversely affects your mind, hmm? What about long-term effects of exposure? The Doctor is talented, yes, but not as talented to save your sanity from cosmic bedlam. I won't risk it. I won't risk YOU. That's final, Lieutenant.

Jacin:  And what if that doesn’t happen? What if the connection is stable? Think of the information. Think of the discoveries. It’s what we’re here to do.

Collins: That's. FINAL. Lieutenant.

Nakada/Ar'Gorvalei: RESPONSE

Ayemet glared at Commander Collins. Ar’Gorvalei could almost feel the anger building up inside her, and worried what would happen if she lost control. But she seemed to take a hold of herself, and stepped away from the machine, turning her back on them. ArGorvalei watched her, biting his lip. He resisted the urge to go to her, knowing that anything he said would make it worse.

Suddenly, he heard a shriek  behind him and turned to see that Ensign Dewitt’s arm was inserted into the machine, almost up to the elbow, and a belt strapped his arm in place.

Ar’Gorvalei: Connor!

Gareth-6 watched the proceedings with an expressionless face as the lights in the room seemed to brighten.

Commander Collins approached the hexagonal control, but was driven back by a forcefield that seemed to have sprung up around the console, separating Ensign Dewitt from the others.

Collins: What is this?!

Gareth-6: RESPONSE

Collins: Hang your Way! This is one of my officers! What's happening to him?!

Gareth-6: RESPONSE

Energy seemed to crackle from the console and spark across the room. It seemed as though some sort of electromagnetic disturbance was forming in the room. Ar’Gorvalei felt the hairs on the back of his neck rise and his nose twitched at the acrid scent of ozone. Black clouds coalesced, as if a miniature storm were brewing in the room. Ar’Gorvalei stared in fascination even as he heard Commander Collins’s tricorder crackle and fizzle, and clatter to the ground. An image seemed to be forming in the clouds, an image of Starbase 1 and a familiar blue-green world.

Collins: Is that...Earth?

Ar’Gorvalei: It appears so.  ::Looking at Gareth-6:: How do we use this to return home?

Gareth-6: RESPONSE

Ar’Gorvalei glanced over at Ensign Dewitt. Sweat seemed to trickle down the engineer’s face, and he seemed to be straining under the effect of the machine. Ar’Gorvalei reached for his tricorder and scanned the engineer. Whatever had fried the commander’s tricorder a moment ago did not seem to be preventing him from scanning Ensign Dewitt’s lifesigns.

Ar’Gorvalei: His vitals - heart rate, respiration, brain activity - they’re reaching dangerous levels. I don't think he can sustain this for much longer.

Any: RESPONSE

The image of Earth seemed to flicker before them.

Ar’Gorvalei: ::Turning to Gareth-6 and stepping toward him angrily:: Release him! Your machine is going to kill him! He’s not a telepath; his mind can’t take much more of this!

Gareth-6/Any: RESPONSE

TAG, TBC

Lieutenant j.g. Ar’Gorvalei

Medical Officer