Capt. Shayne: Grosgrain and Gold, Part III

Quinn

Jun 17, 2023, 11:43:02 PM6/17/23
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Arboretum, Deep Space 33))

Shayne: Mr. Hobart! You’ll join me, please.

Hobart stepped forward. At this rate, the steps would be worn down to nubs within three ceremonies.

Shayne: Mr. Hobart, taking command of an entire starship’s engineering section is no small feat, especially on short notice, and doubly especially this ship. Your performance during the crisis and after was and has been exemplary, and I am pleased to present you the Legion of Merit as a result. Congratulations.

Hobart: Response

Now it was time for the more senior engineer to have his moment in the spotlight.

Shayne: Mr. Dewitt. Don’t think you were going to escape this.

It would be cruel to have the man come up twice, of course, but Shayne could tolerate a tiny dusting of it for a good cause.

Shayne: Mr. Dewitt, you have been an unrelenting and stalwart boon to this ship, during this mission and well beyond it. This day marks a series of new beginnings for you. The first of these is the following; I’m awarding you the Starfleet Medal of Valor for unfailing devotion to duty and boundlessly impressive ability.

The clapping started, but Shayne shouted them down playfully.

Shayne: In addition! I am, in light of your aforementioned abilities, officially making you Chief Engineer, with all the responsibilities and privileges that attend to that position. Congratulations!

The cheering was slightly greater now, but it was nothing, Shayne was confident, compared to what was to come.

Dewitt: Response

Shayne: Mr. Zabi! Your turn.

Zabi had only been with them a matter of weeks, but what remarkable weeks they had been, in the best and worst of ways.

Shayne: Mr. Zabi, we are trained for years at the Academy to handle anything we’re thrown into, and yet I would not have expected someone of your youth and- forgive me- inexperience to comport themselves so appropriately and capably. I am pleased to award you the Good Conduct Ribbon, for your impressive resolve in the face of the furious. Congratulations.

Zabi: Response

Then it was finally down to…

Shayne: Mr. Niac, stand here.

Couldn’t forget the first officer. He doubted Niac was the sort of person to be motivated by ribbons or bureaucratic pats on the back, and yet, Shayne would be loathe to forget him.

Shayne: Mr. Niac, if I had known what you would face on the Libris, I would not have sent any of you. As it stands, you took control of an almost impossible situation, and made the best of it. I am proud to bestow the Starfleet Medal of Valor upon you. Congratulations.

Niac: Response

With the applause, the crew and guests seemed to pick up the pattern that meant they could eat now. Shayne held up a staying hand.

Shayne: We’re not quite done yet, folks. Would Mr. Seesh, Ms. Ohnari, Ms. Jacin and Mr. Hobart return to the stage? It seems there are four more boxes in need of delivering.

By this point he wasn’t even hiding his smile. As they lined up, varied in facial features and bearing, Shayne addressed them kindly.

Shayne: You have each of you exceeded my expectations. Your continued efforts and excellence have done this ship, and myself, a damn good turn. Now I’m going to do you each a damned bad one.

He reached for the first of the boxes and addressed the Gorn.

Shayne: Mr. Seesh, in light of your service to this ship, I am proud to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade, with all the responsibilities and privileges concurrent with that rank.

The poor hands of the audience were not spared as Shayne attached a second, hollow pip to Seesh’s neck.

Seesh: Response

Shayne grabbed the next box, and looked towards Ensign Ohnari for the last time.

Shayne: Ms. Ohnari,  in light of your service to this ship, I am proud to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade, with all the responsibilities and privileges concurrent with that rank.

Ohnari was, Shayne had learned, famously bad at hiding her true feelings, something he could value now as he affixed the hollow pip to her collar.

Ohnari: Response

Shayne: Mr. Hobart! In light of your service to this ship, I am proud to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade, with all the responsibilities and privileges concurrent with that rank.

Hobart had more than earned it, and even though it felt like he’d just come aboard, time flew when it came to recently joined members of staff. In any case, if he continued as he had, one had come before would be dwarfed by the possibilities down the road.

Hobart: Response

Shayne: Lieutenant Jacin, last but not least. In light of your service to this ship, I am proud to promote you to the rank of full Lieutenant, with all the responsibilities and privileges concurrent with that rank.

He affixed the pip in its proper place, and as with the rest of them, had her hold the box for a memento. Shayne stepped back and presented the quad of up-and-comers.

Shayne: Congratulations to each of you!

Any: Response

Shayne waited a good minute for the sounds of a proud crew to diminish before imparting his most appreciated order in history.

Shayne: And with that, let’s eat!

Tag/END?

Captain Randal Shayne
Commanding Officer