Cmdr. Karrod Niac - Botique Healthcare

1 view

Karrod Niac

Jan 27, 2023, 10:04:58 PM1/27/23
to USS Arrow – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((CMO's Office, Sickbay, Deck 3, USS Arrow))

Niac:  At ease, Mr. Ar'Gorvalei.  I want to hear what you think.  I'm aware this crew has no lack of...difficult history with the Sheliak.

Karrod could plainly see conflict on the mans generally calm and introspective features.  He took a moment to find the words to wrap around feelings that, Karrod suspected, were far more complex than could be conveyed quickly.

Ar'Gorvalei: The history goes back before my time here. I’ve only read the mission reports. But last year, I was part of a team sent to infiltrate a Sheliak carrier and neutralize a bioweapon they were planning on using on a defenseless world. I nearly died, in this sickbay.

Karrod let out a small grunt of pained acknowledgment.

Niac: I won't waste your time with platitudes, Lieutenant.  Ours is a risky business in general and what we're doing right now is doubly so.  If you're concerned that your prior experiences would...compromise your ability to execute your duties, I can try to find a replacement.

Karrod was genuine about the offer but heard something in the mans voice that made him certain he wouldn't accept the easy out.

Ar’Gorvalei: Don’t mistake me. I have a healthy respect for what the Sheliak are capable of. Nevertheless, I am the most logical choice. Others can take over my responsibilities here. I can leave instructions for the remaining preparations. Who else will be going?

Karrod nodded and dug his padd out, tapping at the display and sending data to the console on the desk.

Niac: I appreciate your candor, Mr. Ar'Gorvalei.  An officer that can admit when they're conflicted is far more reliable than one that tries to hide their feelings and gets overwhelmed at a critical moment.  ::Karrod nodded towards the console.::  I've sent you a broad outline of the team that'll be going to the surface.  Mr. Serinus is coordinating the tactical effort and you'll be embarking from Shuttlebay Two as soon as we can find a way through the installations detection grid.

Ar’Gorvalei: Response

Karrod grumbled to himself.

Niac:  Actually, I won't be leading the team.  The Captain has decided he wants to handle this mission personally.   ::Karrod forced a small smile:: Sure you still want to go?

Ar’Gorvalei: Response

Nodding in appreciation, Karrod went back to tapping at his padd.

Niac:  I realize that we have a limited amount of intelligence on what we're facing down there, both from the Sheliak and in terms of prisoners we may be...liberating.  The Arrow will be standing by to support you however we can but you'll be the senior medical officer on the scene and your opinion will carry a lot of weight.  I hope you'll use it to keep the Captain from doing anything...unnecessarily rash.

Ar’Gorvalei: Response

Karrod chuckled at the entirely fair question.

Niac:  I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that, I just get the sense the Captain is looking for something down there and he may not want to leave until he finds it.  Should he fail to, I hope you're able to offer him some...alternate motivation.

Ar’Gorvalei: Response

Tags/TBC!

Commander Karrod Niac
First Officer