Lieutenant Jacin - Terminal Problems

Emma Banin

Jun 29, 2022, 6:50:44 PM6/29/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Interior. Odyssey Station, Corridor Control Waystation 19.))

Dewitt: But if I am being honest, what the greeter talked about... Finding all the information we need to work out our desires. And to decide on a destination for the corridor to show. I have no clue if he wanted us to rig his command console. ::nodding at Hitchcock:: I don't want to be the second defendant at that trail.

Collins: Good work, team. We know more than we did and that's always something.

Jacin still staring at the machine: : We need to interface with it.

No one appeared to hear her. She glanced at them as they debated over what to do with their now encased Security Officer. Gorva and Connor both knew more about the particular predicament that Hitchcock faced than she did, and as they  discussed whether to freee him, or determine his irrational attack before doing so Ayemet  continued to examine the console, noting what appeared to be to blank sections on one side of it that were accessible by going up a few steps. She climbed the stars and examined them closer, seeing that they were i9n fact on some kind of mechanical arm that needed to ben opened up and then closed, so that it would be possible to touch each section with the then closed arm running behind them.

Ar’Gorvalei: ::Looking up from the terminal:: Mr. … Hitchcock is it? … appears to be uninjured. ::Pauses:: This is odd. According to this data, he is showing heightened stimulation of the amygdala – that’s the part of the brain in humans that controls the ‘fight or flight’ reflex, and decreased activity in the frontal lobes.

Dewitt: That does not sound good... Does the containment field do that to him?

Collins: So, this is a panic response?

Any: Response

Ar’Gorvalei: His confinement could be partially responsible, but given his hormone levels, this appears to have begun when we entered the station, if not before. I’m not detecting any external cause, however.

Dewitt: So it's the station? The same thing that is happening to the telepaths?

At that, Gareth-6 moved up into the group and looked over the tall one's shoulder at the readings.

Gareth-6: We could allow transport back to your ship if the confinement is harmful in some manner. Usually we would wait until your destination has been chosen, but if you allow such behavior on your ship, we will not judge nor argue.

Collins: No, not harmful. More confusing, I think.

Dewitt: We don't allow such a behaviour. But Mr Hitchcock seems to have been influenced by unfamiliar circumstances. On the Arrow, our medical staff might be able to treat him.

He gave Ar'Gorvalei an insecure look as if to continue with an uncertain oO Right? Oo.

Gareth-6/Any: Response

Dewitt: Please send him directly to sickbay. ::to Ar'Gorvalei:: We might have to call in Mr Hitchcock's situation?

Gareth-6/Any: Response

Dewitt: How is it that we can read the information shown on your consoles? Did you translate them for us?

Gareth-6: The station will show you what you want, you will have to work out where to go.

Collins: So you keep saying, but how?!

Jacin: Gareth 6, is this the interface?

Dewitt: Interface for what?

Gareth 6/Ar'Gorvalei/:Response

Ayemet nodded. The interface appeared to be built for a being that  was bibrachial in nature, or at least had two manipulation mechanisms of some kind. It was entirely ;possible that there were different interfaces for different races elsewhere in the station, or that this was something that had been constructed in the moment by Gareth 6 or the station itself. It appeared that even if the station was not sentient, and that Gareth 6 was a kind of advanced AI, a degree of telepathy was involved. Had they (whoever ‘they’ were) read their minds and produced a solution for them?

Jacin: So in theory someone would put a hand  :indicating the blank sections: here and here and that would enable a connection to the machine?

Dewitt: You want to connect to the machine? ::pause:: Is that why there is no command functionality in the console? Is it a telepathic connection the station is looking for?

Gareth 6/Ar'Gorvalei/Collins: Response

Gareth-6: We understand the Ways have been forgotten. We have been forgotten. How can I assist you in remembering how to use this station?

Jacin: Commander Collins, we need to explore this station more. I can that is literally what we are isn’t it? Explorers. This is an incredible opportunity. We should be making the most of it.

Collins: A moment, Mister Jacin. We still have no idea how-

Dewitt/Nakada/Ar'Gorvalei: RESPONSE

Jacin: I interface with the station here. I can download any information whilst you all explore the Station and by the time you return II’ll have the information  and we can return to Earth, or wherever we think Captain Shayne and Commander Mackenzie are.

Collins: Lieutenant, I understand your drive. I share it too. But I won't allow one of my officers to "interface" with an immensely powerful, UNKNOWN technology just on the off-chance it might work. You are all much too valuable to risk that way.

Dewitt/Nakada/Ar'Gorvalei: RESPONSE

Jacin: Okay So Ensign Dewitt or Lieutenant Ar’Gorvalei can remain with me and monitor me. You know this makes sense, Commander. It's what the very purpose of Starfleet is.

Collins: And what happens when this technology adversely affects your mind, hmm? What about long-term effects of exposure? The Doctor is talented, yes, but not as talented to save your sanity from cosmic bedlam. I won't risk it. I won't risk YOU. That's final, Lieutenant.

Jacin:  And what if that doesn’t happen? What if the connection is stable? Think of the information.Think of the discoveries. It’s what we’re here to do.

Collins: That's. FINAL. Lieutenant.

Nakada/Ar'Gorvalei: RESPONSE

Ayemet glared at Commander Collins. A rage and frustration building in her, but she kept her silences, stepping away from. the machine and turning her back on it, and the group.  She heard a scream and turned to see Connor interfacing with the machine, one of his arms  attached by some kind of strap,  Commander Collins approached the Ensign but was repelled by the fractal patterns of a force field.

Collins: What is this?!

Gareth-6: RESPONSE

Collins: Hang your Way! This is one of my officers! What's happening to him?!

Gareth-6: RESPONSE

Collins: Is that...Earth?

Any Away Team: RESPONSE

--