Odyssey Station - It's All In Your Head (part 2)

Marissa Jeffrey

Jun 30, 2022, 12:06:58 PM6/30/22
to USS Arrow
((Odyssey Station))

The others of the group seemed to have already moved on, and questions began to roll in. The Greeter wondered if they were really going to figure things out, or if more information might be needed. He searched his mind and the consciousness for precident and proceeded in the blank, almost too innocent nature that was inherent in the Greeter population.

Dewitt: How is it that we can read the information shown on your consoles? Did you translate them for us?

Did they not understand the station reacted to their thoughts? After all, how else would one discover where it was they wanted to go? How else would they know what their destination should be?

Gareth-6: The station will show you what you want, you will have to work out where to go.

Another turned to her.

Jacin: Gareth 6, is this the interface?

Dewitt: Interface for what?

Gareth 6: It is what you believe it is.

Still, there was some kind of gap. They did not understand that they were seeing what they were seeing because it is what they expected to see. It was a reflection of their collective thoughts made manifest in a way that allowed them to interact with the station in a meaningful way. For each race, for each visitor, it was different. None were the same, and Gareth-6 suspected that none ever would be.

Jacin: So in theory someone would put a hand  :indicating the blank sections: here and here and that would enable a connection to the machine?

Dewitt: You want to connect to the machine? ::pause:: Is that why there is no command functionality in the console? Is it a telepathic connection the station is looking for?

Gareth 6: In theory, it will do what you believe it will. Take care, thoughts cannot be hidden, which is why this is how destinations are found.

The woman nodded, and Gareth-6 turned to who seemed to be the leader and once again bowed ever so slightly.

Gareth-6: We understand the Ways have been forgotten. We have been forgotten. How can I assist you in remembering how to use this station?

Jacin: Commander Collins, we need to explore this station more. I can that is literally what we are isn’t it? Explorers. This is an incredible opportunity. We should be making the most of it.

Explorers. Gareth-6 had heard this about these people before. The Fleet of Stars explored open space to learn and grow. Yet, through the Guardian, they knew of great violence as well. The warning given would hopefully be enough for them to take care of their minds.

Collins: A moment, Mister Jacin. We still have no idea how-

Ar’Gorvalei: I would highly advise against it until we have more information...

Dewitt: Response

But the woman was overly excited. The collective consciousness triggered something in his mind that told him she was different than the others. The station was reacting oddly towards her like they had never seen before. It was as if it were seeking another Guardian. But if they had learned one thing, it was that they could not take one as they had last time. It did not end well when the Fleet of Stars came to rescue him, and ultimately it had resulted in the unauthorized duplication of their biological holomatrix technology far within one of the galaxies.

No, the next Guardian would need to come willingly. But that didn't stop the station from reaching out and seeking. Perhaps that was the nature of telepathy. Still, there were low levels of readings that would indicate potential for violence and Gareth-6 wondered if she would be the next encased in stasis.

Jacin: I interface with the station here. I can download any information whilst you all explore the Station and by the time you return Ill have the information and we can return to Earth, or wherever we think Captain Shayne and Commander Mackenzie are.

Collins: Lieutenant, I understand your drive. I share it too. But I won't allow one of my officers to "interface" with an immensely powerful, UNKNOWN technology just on the off-chance it might work. You are all much too valuable to risk that way.

Ar’Gorvalei: I concur.

Dewitt: Response

Jacin: Okay So Ensign Dewitt or Lieutenant Ar’Gorvalei can remain with me an monitor me. You know this makes sense Commander. Its what the very purpose of Starfleet is.

Collins: And what happens when this technology adversely affects your mind, hmm? What about long-term effects of exposure? The Doctor is talented, yes, but not as talented to save your sanity from cosmic bedlam. I won't risk it. I won't risk YOU. That's final, Lieutenant.

Jacin:  And what if that doesn’t happen? What if the connection is stable? Think of the information. Think of the discoveries. It’s what we’re here to do.

Greed? The word popped into the mind of the Greeter consciousness, taken from Anya's remnants there. Is this what it looked like? An insatiable thirst for knowledge that these beings were not ready for? Perhaps that was the main drive behind making the station what it was. Only what could be imagined would be shown, only what was known could be uncovered. It was the heart of non-interference.

Collins: That's. FINAL. Lieutenant.

Nakada: RESPONSE

A high pitched sound eminated from one of the nearby stations. It seemed like one of their team had done what they had been talking about. To Gareth-6, curiosity took over. Knowing this was in their minds and a product of their collective consciousness, he was genuinely curious as to what came next.

Ar’Gorvalei: Connor!

Collins: What is this?!

Gareth-6: I do not have the answers you are seeking.

The others began to panic, and the Greeter collective consciousness was starting to register violence potential from more than one of them. They simply did not understand, and in this group, that caused fear.

Collins: Hang your Way! This is one of my officers! What's happening to him?!

Gareth-6: What is happening is of his own designs. We do not control this. He does.

The Greeter moved ever so slightly as more things started to happen in the room. Worry and panic began to be reflected in strange ways, all of which greatly intrigued the Greeter consciousness. There were clouds and a quite dramatic flair around them and then it cleared. Some of the team seemed to then recognize what appeared.

Intriguing, all of it.

Collins: Is that...Earth?

Ar’Gorvalei: It appears so.  ::Looking at Gareth-6:: How do we use this to return home?

The image hung over them as if it were reality in a smaller sense.

Gareth-6: If that is where you wish to go, the appropriate corridor will open when you are ready.

They just had to finalize the decision. They were, after all, a group collective. It wasn't a decision based on a single person and the station's systems would recognize that.

Ar’Gorvalei: His vitals - heart rate, respiration, brain activity - they’re reaching dangerous levels. I don't think he can sustain this for much longer.

Any: RESPONSE

The image of Earth seemed to flicker before them.

Ar’Gorvalei: ::Turning to Gareth-6 and stepping toward him angrily:: Release him! Your machine is going to kill him! He’s not a telepath; his mind can’t take much more of this!

There was an air of almost surprise, but more curiosity as Gareth-6 turned to look at the man. The panic was clear, even if there seemed little potential for violence from this one. Still, he was not incapable. Diffusion directives seemed appropriate though there was little that Gareth-6 could do.

Gareth-6: It is not our machine. This is of his own making. Of your collective making. You must stop it.

TBC...

--
Odyssey Station

As simmed by: