Lt Zenno - Permanent Horror

Cobalt Penumbra

Apr 24, 2024, 12:49:22 AMApr 24
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Deep Space 33, Arboretum))

Zenno was pleased that his time in front of the group had been mercifully short. He didn’t mind talking to large groups, being in front of people, or anything like that. But public praise offended his sense of modesty and he just couldn’t get past it. A short and private “thank you” and a positive evaluation in his file would have been more than satisfactory.

The one announcement he had hoped for, however, was the mention of new staff, specifically a properly trained Security Chief. Zenno had gone over the conversation he’d have to have. It would show that everything was in order for the new Division Officer. Then Zenno could get back to his early career plan, which had been derailed in the most spectacular fashion by Commander Serinus’ sudden reassignment. But it appears he had to hold on for little longer.

His contemplations were cut short by the Captain calling Ensign Lacy to the front. Zenno was sure she wasn’t about to be arrested or booted off the ship. He would have been warned ahead of time about either of those options. Instead, she got a commendation. Zenno was rather indifferent on the Ensign. He was just glad that someone had finally made a decision about her one way or the other.

And then the Doctor got called up. She still seemed a bit unsteady on her feet, probably as a result of some injuries she received on the away mission. By reports it had been especially tough on Hobart’s team, of which she had been a member. Delightfully, she was announced as the permanent Chief Medical Officer. Zenno was glad for her, if still a bit embarrassed about that message that his friend Saava had sent the Doctor about his diet. He rather hoped she’d forget all about that in time.

His mind began to wander a bit. There were some delightful smells coming from the dessert table at the back. There might have even been some Lemon Squares, if his eyes weren’t betraying him. Maybe some more announcements then it’s chow time?

Shayne: Lieutenant Zenno! Step here if you would.

“Who? Oh, me! What could it be? Surely, there’s nothing else? Unless they want me to escort Lacy to the brig after giving her a commendation, “ he thought. Given how things seemed to go on the Arrow, getting a commendation then being escorted to the brig seemed like an ordinary thing that might happen.

The Bolian Lieutenant made his way up front, ready to leap out and tackle Lacy when he got the word.

Shayne: Lieutenant Zenno, I fear this cabal of under-radar capability has reached every part of this ship, and I shall cast another part into the light; by formalizing your role as Chief Security Officer. Congratulations and thank you.

The Captain had a singular wit. Zenno looked at him for the tell-tales, but then it occurred to him.

oO By the tides, this man is serious? Oo

It had the appearance that he was serious, which was hilarious. And terrifying. Hilariously terrifying. He lost all sense of feeling, but he had the sense to return the Captain’s handshake.

Zenno: Thank you, Captain. I shall do my best to live up to your expectations.

With a frozen smile on his face, he returned to his seat and contemplated his life choices.

NT/END for Zenno

LT Zenno
Security Chief
USS Arrow