Doctor Gott - You're The Greater Good

Karrod Niac

May 24, 2023, 5:35:57 PM5/24/23
to USS Arrow – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((The 'Billable Hours,' Shuttlebay 2, USS Arrow))

Hobart: Psycholo— No no. No, no no no no. I already did my mandatory check up. ::snapping his fingers:: You're that psychologist from DS33. I've heard of you! “Doctor Git.”

Teeth clacking together in excitement Gott gave a small, formal bow of introduction.

Gott: That's Gott!  Doctor Gott!  But it's wonderful to hear my marketing blitz has been so successful!  When we're done I'll send you a survey, get your feedback on the effectiveness of my mass communications strategy.  Shouldn't take you more than two or three hours to fill out.

Hobart: Right, Gott it. Well, Doc, I have many problems, but right now the one I'm professionally preoccupied with is your subspace transmissions interfering with our shipboard comms. Let's just have the— abbreviated! —tour, then?

Gott feigned a smile, reminded of his earlier annoyance, and began leading the way up the access ramp into his client lobby.  The bogs were especially pungent today and he took a deep, purifying breath of the dank air.

Gott: Come now Mr. Hoeparts, surely my humble little craft can't be disrupting the operation of one of Starfleet's...::Gott struggled for the suitable adejactive::...modest vessels.  Aren't you people always talking about how capable your technology is?

Hobart: Look, I'm genuinely unbothered by you siphoning power. We're not in combat, and I can cut you off if I need to.

Gott smiled as they headed towards the lift that would take them down to the engineering deck at the very bottom of the ship.  He'd been down there all of once since taking possession of the ship, largely due to bumping into the wrong button when he'd gotten into the lift one day.  In a way, it reminded Gott of the dreary passageways in the Arrow itself - all function, very little form.  Even if he had insisted on wall to wall carpeting and very tasteful sconces modeled after his head.

Gott: Atraxia, my digital assistant, really handles all of that for me...you'll have to be quite careful nosing around down there.  There could be...I don't know...wires...I suppose.  And I've got some very valuable items in my private storage hold...and in the ships vault....and of course in the secondary vault.  Can't let you into those without a signed and notarized ND&NJA - non-disclosure & non-judgement agreement.

The Starfleet man took a moment of pause and brought his little beeping box up to his chest.

Hobart: I'll be discreet, Doc. Just going to look at your comms array and power systems. Your ship and ours aren't getting along, and, if we can't sort that out, I'll have to keep them separated.

Gott shrugged and plastered on his most innocent smile.  He didn't take this young man as a stickler for interstellar commerce regulations but there was no reason to push his luck.  With a tap on the gilded padd hidden within his coat he had Atraxia go to maximum security around the cargo hold anyway.  Just to be sure.  The lift dinged to a stop and they walked into the uninteresting engineering space that ran the length of the ship where the lights came up automatically.  Dozens of smiling golden Gott's smiled back at them, lighting their way along the corridor as they walked in.  Gott decided to put himself on more familiar ground.

Gott: So Mr. Toesmart, you seem like a young man - new to Starfleet?  Is it everything those saccharine recruiting posters promised?

Hobart:  Response

Gott chuckled tonelessly to himself as they made their way further in.

Gott:  Oh yes those Starfleet Recruiters are even setup on their little space station out there.  I see the holo-posters on my way to the office every day...always bright eyed young people like yourself staring off at the unknown horizon, chasing adventure or...'intellectual fulfillment,' whatever that's supposed to be.  ::Gott made a rude, dismissive noise.::  They'd be better off joining the Ferengi Commerce Fleet...at least then they'd learn the value of personal profit.

Hobart:  Response

Clicking his teeth together in annoyance that wasn't entirely feigned, Gott shook his head and spoke like a parent speaking to a clever pet or a slow child.

Gott:  Starfleet spends a lot of time teaching you people how to contribute to the greater whole, which is all very noble...but it doesn't seem to spend much time teaching you how to enjoy yourself.  Or how to foster relationships....or find yourself a mate....or have children!  Do you know I've heard that the majority of your senior officers aren't married and have no heirs?  Absolutely nobody to pass on their possessions to when the time comes!  Dreadful!  Absolutely dreadful!

Hobart:  Response

Tags/TBC!

Gott
Ferengi Commerce Authority Bonded Psychotherapist
Noted Author
Ships Counselor, Interspecies Medical Exchange
V239509GT0