Lt.Commander Maz Rodan - Finishing Up

David H

Jan 23, 2022, 10:16:12 AM1/23/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

   ((USS Arrow - Deck 1; First Officers Office))

Rodan: The Arrow may be small, but she's got a great crew. Have you always wanted to go into engineering?

Dewitt: Well, for a couple of years I thought I might take over my parents' restaurant. At least, I was told so. And while I really enjoy cooking in a traditional sense, I like fiddling with machines even more. I started with fixing kitchen equipment in my Mum's kitchen. And when my sister started helping in the kitchen, there was even more to repair. ::he smiled, his eyes a little cloudy:: Yeah, I guess that laid the groundwork for who I am today.

Rodan: While we don't have a Chief Engineering Officer per se, you will be working closely with our other capable engineer, Lieutenant Nakada. You'll find him around here, somewhere.

Dewitt: I read about the Lieutenant in my short briefing. I am excited about meeting him. I read two of his papers during my time at the Academy. While I did not understand everything perfectly, I am sure he can teach me.

Maz smiled and nodded his head. While Keneth Nakada was a returning crew member to the Arrow, he was a new crew member to Maz. Saying that, he had made an effort to read some of the engineers' published papers. The one involving Key Lime Pie may have been a little overreached, but who was an Astrophysicist to judge an engineer?

Rodan: I'm sure you'll get along famously.

Dewitt: So will I be starting my shift tomorrow, Sir?

Tilting his head curiously, Maz regarded the eagerness of the newest Ensign to the ship. He smiled brightly.

Rodan: We are on shore leave, Ensign. That means no work.

Dewitt: I see, I think I might need some time to get settled in. Possibly discover the ship a little and get to know all those different nooks. At least find my way from my quarters to main engineering. I remember a workshop at the Academy during my first year, where people were just put somewhere on a Galaxy-class vessel and had to find their way to engineering. Some people joked around that a real engineer should always find their way to the warp core. Me, however, I was lost on my first try.

Rodan: You'll find the Arrow fairly different. With only 7 decks and a small crew, you'll become acclimatised very soon.

Dewitt: So, before asking you for my assigned quarters , you could maybe enlighten me on what sports you are catching up on.

The smile from the newest engineering ensign made Maz grin even more. He leaned back into his seat comfortably and indicated the muted sub space channel on his computer terminal. The Mak'ala Mavericks were now in the lead on points.

Rodan: That would be basketball, Ensign. The Mak'ala Mavericks are my team. The best team in the Trill Basketball Association. Go Mavs!

He lightly punched the air playfully.

Dewitt: Response

Rodan: It's a guilty pleasure. We have to pass the time some way around here, what with us having no holodeck onboard to speak of.

Dewitt: Response

Maz reached over for a PADD and called up the quarters assignments.

Rodan: So, your quarters will be Deck 3, Room 6. You've got a lot of free time to spend, so have fun. If there's anything else you might need, you know where to find me.

Dewitt: Response

TAG

--
First Officer