Lieutenant Connor Dewitt - Yes!

Tim

Jun 13, 2023, 8:13:03 AM6/13/23
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Risian Sundown Resort, T’Kalla Cafe and Bar))

Connor had noticed that he had babbled for quite a while until he dared to ask the question he only now noticed he had asked himself.

Dewitt: So, Jacin Ayemet, what does it truly mean to be there for you?

Ayemet took a second to sort her thoughts before answering.

Jacin: Connor I'm going to live for  possibly hundreds of years, barring sentient planets or the Sheliak, Can you handle that. Can you handle us getting assigned to different ships? Or going on missions that we may not come back from? It's all so uncertain.

Dewitt: I don't know, Ayemet. ::shrugging lightly, putting on a light smile:: I guess I would be in the admiralty's inbox every day to get to assigned to your ship. ::pause:: And maybe I'd be discharged for getting too annoying. ::another pause:: Ayemet, we're only ever together in the moment. Like this, like here. I love this, and it is what gives me strength. I acknowledge that we're living a lifestyle that might bring its dangers, but... I am not asking to consider everything that could go wrong in the future; it would break me. All I am asking is that we face it together. ::another pause:: There will always be challenges, but if we think about them today if we try to be prepared for anything that could happen...

He stopped mid-sentence as she listened. The Plomeek soup was still standing in front of them, and Connor looked down at it as he noticed its delicious smell. He wasn't sure what mood their conversation had left him in. He was glad they talked about it, and he found it was important to address Ayemet's concerns. But in between his own emotions, his desire to be with her, and his fear of loss, his mind was sometimes giving him a hard time.

He noticed the tender music of the band in the background. To his surprise, he had to admit that his mind hat cut it out for quite some time. As Ayemet retracted her hand from his, he looked up again. She was starting to open the bag she'd brought.

Jacin: I've just realised something.

She looked startled and nervous, and Connor felt becoming a little alarmed. His face felt warmer, and his hands a little sweaty.

Dewitt: Are you alright? What is it?

He felt the urge to stand up and get around to her as she was removing something from her bag. He moved his chair a little away from the table while looking into her eyes. She still looked nervous, even more than Connor had ever seen her.

Jacin: I don't care.

Dewitt: You...? What?

Jacin: :shaking her head and holding the bag tightly in her hand:  I don't dare  about any of it. The uncertainty, the danger. We don't know what will happen. We could die tomorrow or we could live to two hundred. Yes it's uncertain. But I I know one thing that isn't.

Dewitt: ::smiling nervously:: I would have to cut some sugar to make it to two hundred, I guess.

He put his napkin to the side of the table as she continued talking. It was as if she was in a tunnel, not even reacting to anything he did or said, so Connor decided to let her continue to put out whatever she needed to.

Jacin: I love you. Right here. Right now. It's just you and me and that's enough. It was always enough. Fear has held be back for too long. I'm tired of being afraid of denying myself the possibility of happiness.

A genuine and wide smile went over Connor's lips as he heard her words. It was what he wanted and what he had hoped for. He remembered their dream of the lake.

Dewitt: Yes. The life of joy - not the one of avoiding pain!

The engineer felt her nervousness rising even more. Her whole body seemed to be shaking. A little clumsy, she removed something from the bag sitting on her lap.

Jacin: Maybe this is incredibly stupid and insane and all those things but let's start taking some chances on us. On you and me. :offering Connor the ring: C..Connor will you marry me?

Time came to a stop.

No music.

No smell.

No people.

Just them.

He looked into her dark brown eyes. The lights reflected in the tears that formed in them. Tears of hope, and joy, and relief. He could feel it all; everything that had to go on in her mind. Connor could feel every single emotion.

Only for a brief moment, his eyes focussed the ring with its beautiful orange flow emanating from the center. He felt tears rising to his eyes and a lump in his throat as he looked at Ayemet's face again, that by now was showing a faint smile.

Connor could not know what it all would entail, if this was a stupid idea, if this was them living in the moment without caring for a future that might become more difficult. But that's what he wanted, wasn't it? That was what he always enjoyed about their time together.

After what felt like an eternity, he finally found the courage to leave the magical moment and began to speak with a weak voice.

Dewitt: ::whispering:: You're sure about this?

Jacin: Response

His lips formed a smile and a tear rolled down his cheek. He cleared his throat quietly before he responded.

Dewitt: With all my heart, yes. I will marry you, Jacin Ayemet!

He moved his hand onto the table; it was shaking, too. And he only now realized that his whole body felt the excitement of the moment as Ayemet began to put the ring on his finger.

He finally stood up and walked around the table, still holding her hand. Closer to her seat, he slightly pulled her up to be standing in front of him to give her a gentle kiss on the lips.

Dewitt: ::whispering:: I guess this is the best day of my life!

Jacin: Response

They kissed again, as Connor started to perceive their surroundings again. The first thing he noticed was the slight coughs from the waiter. He leaned his forehead against Ayemet's and opened his eyes again. It came back to him that they only got this table because they were the honeymoon guests. He bit on his lower lip.

Dewitt: ::whispering:: I guess we might have some explaining to do.

He laughed as his right hand swept away the tears.

Jacin: Response

They moved away from each other, and Connor looked at the waiter. He just hoped the establishment would be fancy enough to just let this slide and let them have their evening dinner.

Waiter: Is everything fine with the soup, Sir?

Dewitt: The... what... ::looking at the table:: Oh yes, the soup. ::pausing and looking at Ayemet again:: It's the best soup of my life, Sir.

The waiter put on a polite smile and nodded as he withdrew again, for now. Connor was still holding Ayemet's hand as they started to sit down again under the eyes of every single guest around them.

Connor still did not touch the food as he looked at the orange flow of the ring.

Dewitt: It's beautiful!

Jacin: Response

TAG/TBC

--