Capt. Shayne: Cutting the Ribbons

Quinn

Sep 25, 2023, 9:43:19 PM9/25/23
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Arboretum, Deep Space 33))

Shayne: I know you’re eager for the food and the fellowship, so I’ll begin promptly.

This would not be the traditional ceremony, even if he was to pretend it might be so. Too many people were leaving, and several had just arrived, and the whole air was rich with possibilities both painful and potential.

Shayne: First and foremost, Commanders Waters and MacKenna to the front.

They would not be the only ones to receive this coming distinction, but the others would have to wait.

Shayne: Commanders, our last mission was a challenging one, and were it not for the insight and focused exploration on both of your parts, we may have come off the worse for wear. As such, I’m pleased to award each of you the Intelligence Star for your efforts on our behalf. Congratulations and thank you.

A smattering of applause- it usually took a moment to get the crew fully revved up, but Shayne contributed as soon as the boxes were handed out.

MacKenna/Waters: Response

He waited till they were offstage before speaking again. There was always the lingering wish that he could say or do something more to show them he cared, but that wouldn’t be appropriate before the whole crew, at least not under normal operation. Besides, Waters knew she had his ear whenever she needed it, and as for Ash, well… she had more than his ear.

Shayne: Mr. Serinus to the front!

He waited as the athletic Magna Roman stepped forward from the crowd, and he tried not to realize throughout his approach that this may well be the last time he’d give this deserving man a ribbon.

Shayne: Mr. Serinus, your capabilities have been proven yet again through your innovative and effective actions during your unexpected sojourn. For your insight and spontaneous tactical ability, I’m pleased to award you the Distinguished Service Ribbon. Congratulations.

Serinus: Response

The applause died down with the presentation of the ribbon, and with a raised hand from Shayne. What came next was not normal operating, no matter how much he wanted it to be.

Shayne: One thing further. As many of you know, Mr. Serinus will be leaving the starship Arrow at the conclusion of the night. He will be in the hands of another commanding officer, and another commanding officer will benefit from his years of experience and tenacity, his attention to detail and his skills, his forward thinking and his honorable heart, to say nothing of his ability to pull off one hell of a toga look.

He cleared his throat, mentally thanking the couple of people who chuckled for their low comedic standards.

Shayne: In any case, Mr. Serinus, it has been an honor serving with you, and though I wish you would return one day, I wish more that you continue to seize the opportunities that your successes have earned you. Fair winds and following seas, commander, and for each of us whom you have kept safe, secure, and at peace, thank you.

Serinus: Response

A longer applause, and Shayne had expected nothing less. They were losing a great officer, and Shayne’s only consolation was that the officer’s they’d just taken aboard appeared capable of meeting the standards their predecessors had set so highly in their own unique, inimitable ways.

Shayne: Mr. Zenno, step forward!

He had no trouble spotting the Bolian’s bright blue head bobbing between the onlookers.

Shayne: Mr. Zenno, you may still be a relative newcomer to our ranks, but you could not be more welcome. Your performance during these past trials has been exemplary, and no captain in his right mind could ask for better. As such, I am pleased to award you the Distinguished Service Ribbon. Well done, Ensign.

The applause started, but Shayne tamped it down with a staying, jokingly serious hand. He drew up his best, most serious, most imperious energies, and gazed upon the ensign with passionate purpose.

Shayne: In light of your excellence, your department chief and I have discussed the situation. He and I both agree that you have faced and met a far sterner challenge than what an officer enrichment course could provide. It is our shared belief that despite your recent graduation from the Academy, you are fit for the role of Acting Chief of Security.

He prepared to hand a second box to Zenno, but paused, feigning confusion.

Shayne: However, that won’t be possible yet. You see, I’ve never allowed an ensign to hold the chief position, even in an acting capacity. That simply won’t do.

He put the second box down, and reached for the third one.

Shayne: How fortuitous it is, then, that I am endowed to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade, with all the privileges and responsibilities concurrent with that rank.

He opened the third box, containing the hollow pip that would signify Zenno’s elevation, and respectfully fastened it to the Bolian’s collar. He stepped back, and offered Zenno a hand shake with one arm, and his ribbon in the other.

Shayne: Congratulations, Lieutenant Zenno.

Zenno: Response

There’d been rumors that Zenno had been giving himself a crash course in something. It might well come in handy. As he stepped down, Shayne allowed himself an instant to bask. It was always a good feeling to promote an officer.

He searched the surroundings, and found the eyes of Commander Quentin Collins III in the back. There were certainly ribbons to provide him with, and he had every intention of calling him forward. But the man had a look in his eyes that brought Shayne up short. He doubted he’d ever seen them in the visage of his old comrade. Tears? Distress of some kind for sure. He blinked for a moment, nodded subtly to convey his understanding, and prepared for the next worthy recipient. He’d still get his ribbons, and his goodbye- but it might not be in front of people. Not even he would be that cruel.

Shayne: Mr. Zabi, please join me.

The customary, slightly awkward pause ensued.

Shayne: Mr. Zabi, you know as well as anyone the unique stresses faced by yourself and your mission team during our last assignment. I can only wonder how well I would have done in your circumstances, and award you the Legion of Merit for your steadfast conduct. Congratulations.

He offered Zabi his ribbon and a handshake as the crew continued with the hand reddening.

Zabi: Response

They were getting into the second half of the docket now.

Shayne: Messrs. Hobart and Dewitt, step forward if you please.

Though the mission had led the pair on separate paths, there was an undeniable strength and brilliance both had demonstrated in their own ways. He couldn’t be more proud of either of them.

Shayne: Gentlemen! Your awards dossiers are far too light for your levels of officerial excellence. I intend to remedy this by awarding you, Mr. Dewitt, the Innovation Ribbon, for your quick thinking survival strategy, and you, Mr. Hobart, with the Legion of Merit, for leadership and bravery under extenuating circumstances. Congratulations both of you.

Hobart/Dewitt: Response

Handshakes, ribbons, exits. Next time he’d have to do something to switch it up- otherwise their stage would be worn down with use by the next leave.

Shayne: Lieutenant Jacin! To the front.

Jacin approached, her blonde hair splayed against the grey of her uniform shoulders.

Shayne: Lieutenant, your scientific expertise during our last issues- I mean mission- informed and protected your fellows. As such, I’m pleased to award you the Captain’s Commendation. Congratulations!

Jacin: Response

As Jacin turned to leave, Shayne realized there were only a few boxes left.

Shayne: Would Acting Ensign Jenna Perim join me?

A minor ruffle of conversation sprang up in mutters and whispers. To date, Shayne didn’t think a single acting ensign had been asked to join him on the stage, which made today all the more important a day to keep that trend going.

Shayne: Acting Ensign Perim, it is my understanding that you are taking an extended leave to, shall we say… pursue personal and professional growth; growth that, one day, this crew will again be lucky enough to benefit from. However, as you will be taking a leave from the fleet, and are still not a fully frocked officer, your progress and your place in the Academy will not be guaranteed.

He paused.

Shayne: That is unacceptable. Your progress speaks for itself, and your spirit is far too ascendant to crush with bureaucracy. Therefore I am pleased to field promote you to the rank of full Ensign, with all privileges and responsibilities- and protections- that position affords. Congratulations!

He extended a hand to the youthful and freshly promoted ensign, smiling warmly in a way he reserved for those who were young, energetic, and full of hope for the future.

Perim: Response

Shayne: And finally…! Don’t think you could get away from this, Commander Niac! Get your big bearded chin up here!

The crowd crowed with jeers and laughter and well-meant cat calls as the beloved but stern commander rocked up the stage. Once arrived, Shayne let the jabber continue for a moment before silencing them with a far more respectful expression.

Shayne: Commander Niac. You have been my right hand man for a short time, but I can think of no one I trust more. You have served this ship, this crew, and this captain with commitment, fortitude, grace and leadership, and it is only fitting- if damned inconvenient- that you should be assigned a ship, and a crew of your very own, as commanding officer.

He reached for a different box, made of a similar wood, but larger and more ornately designed.

Shayne: It is tradition for officers taking on a new challenge to receive a compass on the eve of their departure.

He opened the graceful locking mechanism, and presented it to Niac, still in the box.

Shayne: May this instrument guide you with the same dedication and steadfastness that you have guided us with. Congratulations, CAPTAIN NIAC!

He extended a hand as the cheers reached a crescendo, and this time he didn’t silence them until they eventually, slowly, began to die down.

Shayne: For those of you who were not with us for our last mission, don’t fret- God knows each of you will do something dangerous and heroic that’ll earn you some extra cloth. But know I have faith and confidence in each of you, and I cannot wait for the adventures to come.

He paused, throat dry, words of ostentatious glory and purpose seeking to surge out.

Shayne: Let’s eat!

((OOC: Our mission will be getting under way very soon- wrap up your shore leave scenes, ‘cause fun’s a-comin’!))

Tag/END

Captain Randal Shayne
Commanding Officer

USS Arrow