Ensign Zenno - Thinking of the Sea

Cobalt Penumbra

Sep 15, 2023, 1:45:39 PM9/15/23
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((OOC English translation of the Bolian poem at the end. Also, anyone at the meeting can feel free to interact with Zenno as Serinus speaks or after. Just tag him.)

((Zenno's place, Room 11, Deck 3, USS Arrow))

Zenno tried to have a nap but sleep never came. Giving up, he threw his legs over and sat on the side of the bed. The physical training regimen this morning had been particularly exhausting. And then a full day of Enlisted Fitness Reports had drained whatever energy he had left.

His eye wandered to the desk, where his notebook lay. The half-written page irked him. He had wanted to finish the poem last night but the words wouldn't come. Perhaps something would happen now, with his mind quiet.

Getting up, he realized what an anachronism he was, using paper and ink to write. His possessions could all fit in a very small bag and this was the largest of the items he brought with him. Made from the pulp of the Sagwa tree and bound with thread made from the hair shorn from wild and free range Denatusi long horn sheep native to the home world, it was the only thing he owned actually from Bolarus IX. Even then, it was more of a thing of the Rabor Archipelago, since Sagwa trees are most abundant and the Denatusi are most populous there. He knew that his family had come from there originally, hundreds of years ago. Father often spoke of the home they still had there, but Zenno knew that Amaddo, the favored son, would be the one to inherit it, so he gave little thought to that. This notebook was the only connection he was going to have. But he did enjoy it.

Flipping to the last page he scanned his work in progress...

Ajah, lasi du sihawey Ah

Abiruh adalah sing dan kirusa adelusa
Keindulan angin dir
Manjulin awgul dere
Berbisa layar quan dan alemusa kirasey

Durjalan terhampar quah a salarah Ah
Berjamayan sandin vere
Qualijayin jernuh veer
Ber cadar zu kita anglim sahdusa Zha

"How to end this?" Zenno closed his eyes and tried to shut out all other thoughts.

It lasted not even a moment when the computer blooped with the arrival of a message from the Chief. Zenno wasn't one to have his quiet time interrupted, but the boss was always an exception.

Zenno noted that the Commander had seemed quite businesslike and not one to engage in frivolity. This suited Zenno just fine. Saava, Vratak, Grall, Sister Rekko, and maybe just maybe one other was all the connection he needed. And they were all in the right places: not on the Arrow so he could be himself with them. A proper security bearing must be maintained at all times on board, and Zenno appreciated that the Commander seemed to operate similarly. Except where the space dog was concerned. But everyone has their peccadillos. Even Nardello had a few.

A summons to the bar? "Oh no," he realized. "Is the boss arranging a social event? Horrors!" This does not seem like a good idea. But he was going to have to go. Would there be stories? Sea shanty sing-alongs? Probably a great deal of whatever wine, too. "I must navigate this carefully," he thought.

Zenno carefully put down his notebook and turned to leave. Before the door could shwoop open, he paused for just a moment to look at the water sculpture by the bed. Nodding, he exited and went to...

((The Starboard Bow, USS Arrow))

The door shwooped open and Zenno entered at full alert. What is this scenario? Is this a social call? Will there be frivolity or even... dancing? "This looks like more of a cadet review. Not as bad as expected. Stand down from tactical alert," was the thought in his head.

He spied New Colleague Ensign Holly Berry, the counselor. He saw the Engineers, the rest of the Security team, others... but what he did not see was Commander Serinus. Making his way to an open seat, he waited with patience. But Zenno did note that the Chief seemed to be a bit late. How strange!

When he finally did make his appearance, the Commander came in with his space dog and a peculiar expression on his face. Zenno was no empath but even he detected that something a little bit strange was happening and the Commander was not acting in his usual way.

Zenno watched quietly as the Commander headed to the bar and ordered a beverage and a spoon, all the while wearing a most unsettling smile. He took his drink order and headed up to the front, all the while saying the same to everyone on his right and left.

Serinus: Give me one minute, and it will all make sense.

The Security Chief made his way to the front and banged the spoon on the side of his drink for some reason. "Must be a homeworld custom. I will look this up later," Zenno thought.

Serinus: Thank you all for coming for this tonight, and giving me some of your much valued shore leave time. You are all lovely for showing up to share my news. ::break:: That being said, I am afraid that I must apologize. I did not exactly bring you all here on the basis of a lie.::break:: But I did bring you all on the basis of a half-truth...

Zenno leaned forward in his chair. He did not like the sound of this at all…

NT/TBC

((OOC: Translation of the poem, if you have an interest...

Hear my words, Oh Water and Wind!

The sapphire sea sings of the wind
Hearing the call, she answers
The jasmine scented air swirls
Azure waters sigh and a sea spray rises on the East wind

The sailor sees, but says nothing.
This moment of perfect grace and beauty
He moves on the water and the wind blesses him
The Sun's light is low in the West as the zephyr carries the sweet fragrance of home))

Ensign Zenno
Security Officer
USS Arrow
A240006Z13