PNPC Lt.Commander Roxy Wilde - Digging In

David H

Jun 28, 2022, 1:08:57 PM6/28/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

   ((USS Arrow - Turbolift))

Waters: You may call me Chloe if you wish. ::beat:: And I am certain we will find a solution. Dealing with the impossible is what we are trained for.

When Roxy first arrived on board, she didn't expect to be part of the crew long enough to get to know officers on a first name basis. The familiarity didn't seem unnatural to her. In fact, she was almost relieved.

Wilde: In that case, call me Roxy.

Waters: I did not know your brother. But from what I have heard he strikes me as the very informal type. The same is true of you, then?

Wilde: It's one of the few things I share with Regan. We both prefer our names rather than ranks.

Waters: I see. I will certainly keep that in mind. While the chain of command may frown on such informalaties generally, I will be responsible for it while we are in engineering.

Wilde: Either way, it's good to be working with you. ::She sighed a little.:: I know Proteus wasn't the most well received on the ship. I guess people just don't like change. The unknown they're not afraid of, but the untested?

Waters: I will admit. There are some things about this project I find... disquieting, primarily in its execution. But I do believe it is important for ships such as the Arrow to remain competitive. The Arrow still has plenty of life left in her and it would be a shame to see her scrapped simply because her engines can't hold up. As such, I do support what you are trying to do.

Wilde: Very kind of you to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were those people out there who wanted Proteus to fail.

Waters: Perhaps so. Which is why it's up to us to see to it it doesn't.

Wilde: I'm sure the project's reputation is thoroughly tarnished. I suppose it's back to the drawing board.

Waters: Look at it this way, Roxy. Your engine may have played a part in getting us out here. But that means it will just as likely play a part in getting us home again.

Wilde: I do hope so.

The turbolift halted and revealed the engineering deck. Roxy stepped forward and into the engineering room. Finally she felt some normality as she made her way to the central console and began inputting commands. She hoped her work schedules would give some solid clue as to where everyone was when the engine was sabotaged. Order is what she wanted. Methods were important in experiments such as these.

She checked the data and narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

Wilde: Huh.

It was a curious little outburst.  Something was definitely not right.

Waters: Response

Wilde: Something is definitely amiss. Here...

She downloaded the data to a PADD and handed it to the helmswoman.

Wilde: These work logs have been altered.

Waters: Response

Wilde: Only my word on that, I'm afraid. I only submit one log into the computer, so I have no initial rosters. But this isn't what I assigned Ensign Braddox to do. He should have been keeping an eye on structural integrity, not the power input.

Waters: Response

Wilde: If Braddox was going to implicate himself, yes. As it stands...

Waters: Response

She tapped her comm.badge and inspected the data closely.

Wilde: =/\= Commander Wilde to Ensign O'Malley. =/\=

O'Malley: Response

Roxy smiled when the newest Ensign answered her hail. She could only imagine what it was like going straight from the academy to fleet duty, and as she was concerned, she was the next newest member of the crew.

Wilde: =/\= Ensign, we need your skills in Engineering. You're skilled in Ops, correct? =/\=

O'Malley: Response

Wilde: =/\= Excellent. Wilde out. =/\=

She turned to Chloe.

Wilde: We need to unscramble this data signature and recover the original logs. If we're clever, we can decipher who changed them.

Waters: Response

TAG

PNPC Lt.Commander Roxy Wilde
Research & Development Engineer