Lieutenant jg Connor Dewitt - The first step

Tim Plath

Mar 7, 2023, 2:06:07 PM3/7/23
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Deck 3, Dewitt’s Quarters, USS Arrow))

Dewitt: If I may be so blunt, Sir... The last couple of days have been more than a mission to you, haven't they?

It had taken some effort from the Lieutenant to ask the Captain this question. And Connor could only guess that it might ask the same of Shayne as he took a few seconds before he answered.

Shayne: Yes.

The Captain lowered his gaze to the ground as to avoid Connor's eyes, or just hide part of his face.

Shayne: Yes, but, um… ::he cleared his throat:: that's no excuse for putting you in jeopardy. I was wrong, I never should have brought you in such harm's way. I'm sorry.

Connor tried to process the Captain's words. He had been ready to shout at his superior officer for being so reckless in his eyes. And he had been prepared to be yelled at. Connor was not sure what the purpose of such a conversation should have been, but he knew that his frustration had to get out.

But all of that was gone now. He was looking at a man that was feeling embarrassed for his actions. A man that Connor wanted to help in his distress of the situation. And a man, that - although he might not see it that way at the moment - was showing great strength of chracter.

Connor went over to the replicator.

Dewitt: Two cups of coffee, hot. File Dewitt-Charlie-zero-one.

Two cups of coffee replicated with the usual sound. Connor grabbed them, still not knowing how to answer the Captain. He came back and put the cups down on the small table.

Dewitt: A special blend, comes closer to real coffee than the standard issue coffee.

Shayne: I really let you down, and I'm not sure how to make it right again.

Again, Connor felt sorry for the man who was lying his feelings out on the table before him. But also felt admiration for the strength to do so in front of one of his junior officers. To stand up for a mistake he made. Probably something Connor could learn a lot from. He took a sip of his coffee before answering.

Dewitt: I am not sure myself. I was ready to yell at you for dragging me into that computer core for a bunch of information - that might not even be there. A bunch of information that - at first glance - only satisfies your curiosity. ::pause:: I can't put in words how much I appreciate you being here and standing up to that error in judgment. But I am a Starfleet officer - and maybe I am wrong here - but that means that I am aware of what we do and why we do it. And I get the right to tell my superior officers what I think about it. And my superiors watch over me and don't put me in unnecessary danger.

Connor paused again. He was sure that Shayne was aware of all that. Otherwise, the Captain would not be here and apologizing. But he had to get it out for once. Connor had to tell the Captain why he felt it was wrong. He thought back to his conversation with Vincent.

Dewitt: I can accept that there might be times when I have to trust you - without knowing where we go. ::pause:: We both know, that this trust has to be at the core of every relationship onboard a vessel...

He did not really know where he wanted to go with his speech, but Connor had gotten out what he thought was the core issue for the future. Another pause until the Captain began to speak again.

Dewitt: I don't know what that means for today or tomorrow or next week...

Shayne: What happens next is very much up to you. If you want a transfer, I'll grant it, however much I wish you to stay. If you want to file charges, I'll have Command convene a court martial for myself. But… I want to do what you feel would be beneficial.

Connor thought about the Captain's propositions. He had not considered a transfer yet. Another ship, another crew? He would be losing his new home, his new family. He would be losing Ayemet. He would be losing a Captain that could stand up for his mistakes.

A court-martial would not serve any purpose, would it? The Captain clearly regretted what he did. And he clearly had to come to terms with it somehow. And, as of now, Connor had no desire to punish him even more.

Dewitt: Captain, I found a family onboard this ship. If you'd asked me a few days after I came aboard, I'd gladly be reassigned to earth. Somewhere with less danger - less risk of losing someone. But this ship is my home now. There will be a time when I screw up. And I hope you'll be there to have my back then.

Shayne: Response

Dewitt: I don't know. ::pause:: This conversation shows me you won't make that mistake again. It's the first - and maybe the biggest step - for me to trust your decisions. And I expect you to live by it. I guess time will tell if it works.

Connor was surprised by himself. He'd been ready to rain down accusations on Shayne. Be it something constructive or not. But now, he wanted to establish a ground for a promising future. He hoped that he could live by what he had just said, that it was not just a product of a broken Shayne and his desire to make people feel better.

Shayne: Response

Connor nodded, and a short silence was in the room as both of them took a sip of coffee.

Dewitt: So why is it so important to you to know? So important that it could impair your decision-making...

Shayne: Response

TAG/TBC

--
Lt. jg. Connor Dewitt