Lt (jg) Zenno - Fretting and Flustered Fashion Affair

Cobalt Penumbra

Jan 7, 2024, 11:49:09 AMJan 7
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Zenno’s Place, Deck 3, USS Arrow))

The Acting Security Chief laid down on his rack, reflecting on the past few weeks. So much had happened. A rather long trip outside of Federation space, seeing his oldest friend, his first big department meeting, and earning a self-imposed lifetime ban from the Parisses Squares events. Even if he does go back to an event, he would have to give it a good amount of time before he tried. The risks of getting involved in an altercation were too high, especially for one on the Security team in Starfleet.

Computer: Bloop bloop! Message from Executive Officer.

Zenno had programmed the computer to immediately alert him to anything from the Command Authority. Sometimes it was nothing urgent, but he felt like he couldn’t risk missing anything as the Acting Security Chief. Without getting up, he asked…

Zenno: Recite message.

The computer bleeped an acknowledgment then commenced with its recitation.

Computer: To Senior Staff, USS Arrow,You are formally requested to attend an awards ceremony held in honor of the achievements and sacrifices of these last few months. Uniform not required, but formal wear expected. Drinks and refreshments provided. Signed, Lieutenant Commander Cayden Adyr, Executive Officer, USS Arrow.

His first response was to laugh. The fact that he gets a message sent to the “Senior Staff” struck him as hilarious. Especially since he still felt like the most junior of officers. But then the dress code worried him. Uniforms were easy. Everything was specified, laid out. There were no decisions. Was it a test? Who came in a uniform? Would he be the only one and stand out? That would be terrible. But what else would be wear? Would wearing something else invite other judgements? For the very junior officer Zenno, this was a conundrum. After considering for a moment, he made his decision.

Zenno: Computer, open my replicator files. Locate folder titled “Rixx Wedding” and display images.

The last time he had worn something that would be considered formal wear back home was his cousin’s wedding.  He had had the foresight to save all those files. Mother and Sister had helped him make the correct choices in fabric and colors. He was glad he was able to draw on this wisdom.

He scanned the various choices and landed on the latest one.

Zenno: Computer, this one. Update for my current physical size and send for replication.

((Brief timeskip))

He looked at himself in the mirror. The computer did a fine job of updating the suit specifications for his current dimensions. The suit had been made when he was several years younger and had not had as much physical conditioning.

It was a high-collared frock coat. It had a seam down the front but no visible fasteners or buttons in a plummy burgundy with a metallic sheen. The collar went all the way around his neck and ended in a champagne-colored piping. Loose cream-colored pants were visible from knees down, all the way to the highly ornate burgundy sandals which were considered very fancy on the home world. Topping it all off was a thin charcoal gray stole, in the pattern of his clan, emblazoned with his family name in silvery and ornate Bolian script.

Zenno: ::to himself:: Well, I look ridiculous, but on the home world, this is formal. I hope it will do.

And he exited to…

((The Starboard Bow, USS Arrow))

Still feeling concerned about sartorial inadequacy, Zenno entered the Bow. He was relieved to see that he had made a correct decision. The XO was here and not in uniform either, but in a stunning blue dress. So far, they were the only ones to have arrived. This suited Zenno, as he liked to be early. As Nardello had beat into all their heads in school… “On time is late.”

Adyr: Welcome.

Zenno: Hello Commander.

Adyr: Responses?

Zenno: Indeed. Also, I am appreciative of the opportunity to not have to wear a uniform for once. Thank you for that flexibility.

Adyr: Responses?

Zenno: Oh, this? This type of garment is worn at all kinds of high ceremonies and events back home. My mother and sister had helped me design this.

The door swooped open and the two turned to see who had arrived.

Adyr/Any: Responses?

Tags/TBC

LT (jg) Zenno

Security Officer