MSNPC DaiMon Slek - Tongo for Beginners

David H

Sep 2, 2021, 8:40:32 AM9/2/21
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

   ((FMS Fortuna - Bridge))

Slek was waiting for the self-important righteousness of Starfleet. There was no denying his own presence here looked shady, but he had Interstellar Law on his side. When the channel to the Federation starship opened Slek leant forward.

Shayne: This is Captain Shayne of the Federation Starship Arrow. Any chance you’d be willing to talk?

Slek: ::He waved a finger cautiously.:: Ah-ah-ah! Not so fast, Starfleet! This is my ship! I found it. I have men aboard it. I've laid claim to it fair and square.

The Hu-mon waved a hand as if to silence him, yet also placate him. Slek grimaced firmly.

Shayne: For the moment, DaiMon, our primary interest is in conversing with you. May I know who I’m speaking to?

Slek: You address DaiMon Slek of the Ferengi vessel Fortuna. What do you want?

Shayne: Always a dangerous question, DaiMon. For now, though, we’d settle for a deactivation of your weapons systems.

Slek: My weapons are charged, Captain, because we are in disputed space. How would you react if you were in my position and a Nausicaan raider suddenly appeared, or a Breen battleship?

He allowed himself another helping of tube grubs from his bowl and sat back in seeming triumph.

Slek: Surely you'd defend yourself against an unprovoked attack, too.

Shayne: DaiMon, as evidenced by the fact that you are still alive and well, there has been no such attack.

Again the Hu-mon smiled. It was beginning to irritate Slek. If this no-lober wanted a proverbial game of Tongo, he'd give him a game of Tongo.

Shayne: DaiMon, you’re launching a shuttle. I’m afraid we’ll need to send a team of officers over to confirm that this is, in fact, a derelict.

Blast! Trust the Feds to stand by the immutable word of the law. Slek clenched a bulbous fist together in frustration, but relaxed it and eyed the Hu-mon from his command chair.

Slek: Very well. Send your "Away Team". ::He was even obnoxious enough to provide the air quotes to his sneering expression of away team.:: But I warn you, Captain, anything of value found on that derelict is mine! I want it all cataloging by my men.

While he was speaking, he saw the Captain speak to another man; a Trill, on his bridge then turn back to him.

Shayne turned back to the Ferengi.

Shayne: This needn’t be a hostile occasion, DaiMon. We’re both capable of putting aside our misgivings, aren’t we? There’s common cause to explore here!

A chorus of sharp, nasal guffaws erupted on the Ferengi bridge by all the Ferengi present. Slek wiped a gentle tear away from his eye with a stubby finger.

Slek: Explore!? ::He almost screeched the word through his chuckles then suddenly sobered.:: What has exploration ever done for the Ferengi Allance? Captain, we not explore. We purchase. We acquire!

The gluttonous, almost salacious way he said the word acquire made his dim eyes twinkle in the dim lights of his bridge. He believed in the Rules of Acquisition. He was brought up from birth to believe that the buying and selling; of information, of property, of goods and services, was the only legitimacy in life. The acquisition of wealth and profit was in his blood. In his very DNA.

It was noted by the FCA and many influential Ferengi business circles that Slek opposed the new reforms on Ferenginar brought in by Grand Nagus Rom. Females wearing clothes and earning profit was abhorrent to him. The times were changing and he would be not budge. He would be the Dam of tradition that would not budge. It was also a reason why he found himself so far from Ferengi space. The space hulk was his last chance at success...

Shayne: Response

Slek: I'm not an unreasonable man, Captain Shayne. ::He waved a dismissive hand.:: You have two hours to make a preliminary inspection of my property to slake your annoyingly Hu-mon need to satisfy your conscience. Then you must leave.

Shayne: Response

Slek leaned forward again and offered a condescending toothy smile to his would-be Tongo opponent.

Slek: And be warned, Captain. I have good men on my property paid handsomely to protect my investments. Loyal men. The best loyalty latinum can buy!

Shayne: Response

Any: Response

TAG

MSNPC DaiMon Slek