LTCmdr. Quentin Collins - Come One, Come All (or; Ship Flippers)

1 view

Justin Partridge

Aug 12, 2022, 4:22:17 PM8/12/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Interior. U.S.S. Arrow, Crew Mess.))

Serinus: Just your average onboard bar and lounge. We'd have to scale it down for the space that is available to us, of course.

Collins: Well, that sounds ruddy awesome. Did you have a name in mind?

Once more Quentin Collins started to think of the various other ships he had been posted on since his graduation from the Academy. Though he was never one to expect the "finer" treatment on any ship, he was always pleasantly surprised at the amount of creature comforts his first beloved posting the U.S.S. Eagle had come with.

The Eagle's Nest being chief amongst them. While it couldn't hold a candle to the expansive and thrice as plush "Clanhouse" of the U.S.S. Juneau, some of his best times on the Eagle were spent in the Nest. Countless award's ceremonies. Celebrations. Impromptu parties. Connection.

If he could give his new (and old) crew even just a fraction of that...

Serinus: Hmmm. I did not. Starboard side, you said? ::He thought about it for another several moments.:: I think I know the space you're talking about. It's on the Starboard bow, right? Why don't we call it The Starboard Bow? ::This time, he pronounced the word bow like the weapon.::

Collins: I guess I just have one question...When would you like to start?

Artinus gave a soft chuckle.

Serinus: I'm available whenever, not around 1400, obviously. I think we should get a solid plan drawn up before we present it to the Captain, though.

He pointed at The Chief's salient point.

Collins: Good thinking, Chief. With the pair of us, it shouldn't be too taxing of a job, right?

As if on cue, Connor Dewitt returned to the Mess Hall. Fresh off his and Quentin's earlier conversation and on the tail end of meals across all three officers.

Dewitt: Commanders, do you mind? ::pointing into the direction of an empty seat::

Serinus: By all means, Ensign. Take a seat.

Collins: Absolutely, Connor! Join us.

Artinus prepped, and ate another bite of the well spiced chicken breast while Quentin polished off the rest of his sandwich and started to pick at the remains of the chips that still scattered the plate.

Dewitt: Enjoy that meal! I hope I am not intruding. What were you talking about?

Serinus: We were just talking about building a lounge and bar area for the crew to hang out at on off duty hours. ::break:: An engineer might be handy to have for such a project, don't you think?

Dewitt: That sounds terrific! I already thought that recreation might come up a little short on the Arrow.

Collins: Don't let Captain Shayne hear you say that. ::he said in mock harsh reverence.::

Serinus: Welcome to Operation Starboard Bow. ::Again, he pronounced it like the weapon, adding to the slightly twee charm of the eventual compartment to Quentin:: When can you start?

Dewitt: I like the sound of that, it sounds like an ancient Earth military operation. ::laughing:: I guess most of what we need could be replicated onboard. And when we build a lounge area, we could even sacrifice the crew mess and relocate it there. This space could become more supply storage. That way, the Captain should have no other choice but to approve it, especially if we add a real coffee machine to the space.

He snapped and pointed at the bashful junior officer.

Collins: Now THAT'S an idea! Talk about leverage.

Serinus: RESPONSE

Dewitt: I guess there should be enough space to create what you are envisioning. We just would have to move some power lines. ::snorting:: I have the feeling of becoming an interior architect onboard. We're also planning a small foundry space in engineering. ::looking up from his PADD:: If you ever need anybody choosing the colors of your curtains, let me know.

Serinus: RESPONSE

Collins: Hey, all this stuff sounds like things we could really use though! The colors are just the best bits!

He put down his PADD and took a sip of his coffee. Quentin was suddenly very thirsty himself.

Dewitt: I don't know how long we will stay at Deep Space 224, but if the Captain approves it, I bet we could get some help from the station's staff to tackle this.

Serinus: RESPONSE

Collins: It would also keep us from having to dip to heavily into our own raw materials stocks. Obviously, we don't want to take from the stations that need it. But a place as big as DS224? They are bound to have some extra bits and bobs.

Connor turned his attention back to Artinus.

Dewitt: So what else do you envision for the space, despite a bar, some chairs and a coffee machine?

Again, Connor smiled to himself, as if remembering some private joke. Quentin couldn't help but share it in a diminished capacity. He chalked it up to him forgetting what it was like to be around people in a social setting.

Serinus: RESPONSE

Collins: Sounds great to me, Chief. I say we reconvene once we dock. We can start the space being cleared but it might be easier to wait until after general repairs are complete. So the real work can start. ::he said with a wink to his companions.

He took a breath and looked at his betters with a wide grin.

Collins: This is very exciting, I have to say...

((Two Days Later...))

((Docked With Deep Space 224.))

Quentin Collins wasn't entirely sure what to wear so he chose the most comfortable and functional of his cleaned roster of clothing. Well-worn dockers and an open throated Henley capped with his favorite boots.

The tentative floorplan had been approved as far as Quentin had known, but it was still somewhat striking to see the area of the ship cleared. Adorned now only with his peers Artinus and Connor. Who had beaten him to the workspace and were already surveying the space.

Collins: Hey, boss-men!

Serinus/Dewitt: RESPONSE

Collins: I know, I am still so excited! We know the tune, we just gotta dance to it now. But I have to admit...

He turned a mischievous eye to his betters.

Collins: I haven't the foggiest where we should start. Any ideas, foremen?

Serinus/Dewitt: RESPONSE

--
TAG/TBC
--