Lieutenant jg Connor Dewitt - A Frog

Tim

Sep 25, 2022, 9:07:09 AM9/25/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Interior. U.S.S. Arrow, Deck 4. Astrometrics Lab/Stellar Cartography.))

They'd been scanning for the better part of half an hour. Again and again did Connor change search parameters and reran the scan, just to see the same list with 0 results. He was not a science officer, but his Academy major in Science had shown him some tricks for this kind of work and he intended to put the ones he had not tried, yet, to work.

Connor did not know what it was, but he had calmed down while doing the work. Although the results did not seem promising, the task was clear. And they would be able to find the best option within the system, or its vicinity. Quentin seemed not to be as calm as he stood up in what looked to be a little too forceful manner.

Dewitt: Everytime I get frustrated with something in engineering, Crewman V'Lak allows himself the hint that frustration is illogical. It does not help us in getting faster to our goals. ::pausing and looking up from his console:: You seem frustrated, Quentin.

Collins: How can you tell? I'm hiding it super well.

Dewitt: Ayemet is right that there are danger's, but we will make the best of what is out there to work with, won't we?

He looked at the Commander, trying to be the reasonable one. But he was also hoping for an agreeing answer. If Quentin would lose the trust that they would solve this challenge, Connor's fears would be at the ready to jump onto that train.

Collins: I just...really want to get this one right, Con. For all of us.

Dewitt: We will, Commander. I've not earned that second pip to get that engine hijacked from under my a... ::pause:: supervision again.

He tried to put up his widest grin, not sure if he really believed what he just said, but it looked like the Commander was the one needing some reassurance by now. Quentin took out his glasses and seemed to take another shot at the task at hand.

Collins: Oh?! What have we got then? I'd give my back teeth for a semi-permeable gas giant. Or, OO, maybe some lingering frozen asteroid trails!

Connor returned to his own console and tried to lighten the mood.

Dewitt: ::returning to his own console:: Its not often that one might wish for a friendly encounter with a Q to create a gas giant in a system.

Collins: Response

A couple of minutes passed as the men worked and ruled out the majority of the system and its surroundings when Connor began to speak. He was not sure if he was in the place to ask the question he had thought over when he was in the turbolift. But his relationship with the Commander began to develop in the direction of a friendly mentorship rather than a strict chain of command.

Dewitt: Everything alright with Ayemet and you?

Collins: Response.

Dewitt: Sorry, you don't have to answer that...

Collins: Response

((OOC: Feel free to backsim here or just leave it at that if you want :) ))

A couple of minutes later Connor and Quentin had narrowed the search down to a handful of regions and phenomena. Ayemet and Tallera had joined them by now in their search after returning from the science lab.

Tallera: How's that?

A region of space near their destination popped onto the main viewer of the room. Connor looked at it as well as the accompanying sensor data next to the image.

Dewitt: Its a start, but we need more distracting radiation than that. Just to cover the electro-magnetic radiation from stand-by functionality.

Collins/Jacin: Response

Tellera seemed a little dissatisfied by her results herself as she returned her eyes to her console again.

Tallera: Try nudging it into that ionized patch there. :: She pointed. ::

The field of view widened a little and revealed a small patch of a nebula that was showing an increased signal of ionizing radiation with all sorts of electro-magnetic signals. Connor nodded, his voice a little excited.

Dewitt: Good... good. Now, if you behaved well and we have Kahless' blessing, we might be in luck to find any form of asteroids or rocky formations in there to hide Proteus. That way, also acitve scans won't find the module.

Collins/Jacin: Response

At last she cracked a small smile.

Tallera: Well, would you look at that... I think we have to leave it there.

On one of the views, the ring and a few rocky deposits were in a formation that looked like the very surprised face of some animal. Tallera chuckles softly, Connor caught himself in a little snort.

Dewitt: That looks like a frog... You want to hide Proteus in a frog?

Collins/Jacin/Tallera: Response

Connor smiled, glad that the situation had eased a little.

Dewitt: Don't be ridiculous, it's clearly a frog!

Collins/Jacin/Tallera: Response

Dewitt: The frog it is, then. I am combining all information and coordinates and will send it to the bridge.

Collins/Jacin/Tallera: Response

--
Lt.jg. Connor Dewitt
Engineer