Capt. Shayne: Lots of Cloth and a Touch of Metal

Quinn

Mar 18, 2023, 8:59:36 PM3/18/23
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Arboretum, Deep Space 33))

Niac:  Excuse me, sir.  The crew will be arriving in a few moments and I've temporarily worked out Commander MacKenna's...um...access issues.  We won't have an issue for the ceremony but I don't think I've got enough springwine on board to do much more than that.

Shayne glanced at his newly arrived XO, glad that Niac was both in the know regarding the situation, and willing to give them the privacy to resolve it long term on their own later. It took leadership to be an XO, and arguably more restraint than a captain. He was grateful.

Shayne:  Remind me to replenish your stock, Commander.

Niac:  Honestly sir, I'm not sure if that'll accomplish anything....it may make things worse, in fact.  I think from here we have to let the two of them work it out.  Either that or Commander MacKenna is going to need a full security detachment with her any time she wants to come on board.  ::Karrod lowered his voice conspiratorially and winked:: My money's on Ash either way, sir.

A smart bet to be sure, but one that he wished wasn’t necessary. The last thing he needed was Stergis as an enemy, and it wasn’t as if they were without their own vulnerabilities. Perhaps their various volleys had been fired, and they could now reconcile. But for now, he had a bigger fish to fry.

Shayne:  We’ll settle this before we leave, in no small part thanks to your efforts, Mr. Niac.

Niac’s delivery of several small wooden boxes seemed to coincide with almost frightening synchronicity. Shayne always felt both elated and distraught over awards ceremonies; elated because worthy sacrifices that might not otherwise gain attention were being recognized, and distraught because he had to go up there and not make a fool of himself.

Niac:  Looks like that's our cue, sir.  Would you like to handle all of the presentations yourself or shall we break it up?

Shayne:  I’ll take them. You’ve done more than enough. Thank you, Commander.

He meant it genuinely, and after he adopted the awards into his arms, gave Niac a well-meaning pat on the shoulder as he passed.

((Timeskip, some time later))

Unlike most ceremonies, Shayne didn’t dive straight into business, giving his personal a chance to unwind and take in the beautiful scenery before heading to their seats. Now, however, there was no getting out of it. He stood at the podium, and grimiced his well meaning grimace.

Shayne: Here we are again.

Four simple words, and yet for the blessed, damned souls in the Isles, so much meaning was contained within them. They were here, again. Whatever had come between them and this moment was passed, and though there would be more challenges to come, they would face them as they must always.

Shayne: Last mission I asked more from you than I had ever before. More than I had any right to ask. And each of you shone through with extraordinary professionalism and capability. I am grateful beyond my ability to express.

He paused.

Shayne: Well, not quite.

He reached for the first boxes, stacked in order they’d be presented.

Shayne: I’m afraid some of you will be getting some legwork in. Messrs. Niac, Collins, MacKenna, to the front please.

He waited patiently as they approached. While he would have liked to look at Ash favorably, it wouldn’t have been appropriate so he kept his gaze stern.

Shayne: Briefly stated, your conduct on the bridge was the determining factor in us getting out of there alive, along with hundreds of people consigned to death. Your grace and professionalism under fire cannot be overstated, and for that I am pleased to award you each the Silver Star. Congratulations.

Niac/Collins/MacKenna: Response

Applause followed, and they were off to the races.

Shayne: Ensign Ohnari, Ensign Seesh, please step forward.

Two relatively inexperienced officers, each contending with not only a crisis but doing so without a present lead above them? Remarkable.

Shayne: Your intellect and compassion contributed to the survival and recovery of hundreds of your comrades and fellow sentient beings. For enduring enormous risks to yourself, and reacting with the medical ethics we hope our very best aspire to, I am pleased to award you both the Gold Lifesaving Ribbon. Congratulations.

Seesh/Ohnari: Response

More applause, and perhaps this was just a little louder than the first. The two ensigns indubitably earned it, and Shayne was proud to have them aboard.

Shayne: Lieutenant Jacin, step forward.

There had been a multitude of casualties this mission, and in this particular case, only the severity of the injury had kept the officer in question from contributing more.

Shayne: Lieutenant, each of us understands the grim realities of starship duty, but few receive those consequences so… shall we say on the nose. For your courage and resolve, I am humbled to award you the Purple Heart. Congratulations.

Jacin: Response

His next box to give out was a little unconventional, but he had his reasons.

Shayne: Mr. Hobart to the front.

Shayne waited before continuing, feeling a certain kinship with the man.

Shayne: Mr. Hobart, your arrival to Arrow came at very possibly the worst moment it could have. I sympathize. When I was a green ensign, I came aboard the Gemini just as the hunt for a group of fugitives reached its fiery zenith. I understand the chaos, the confusion, and the remarkable strain you must have endured. For this reason, and for your reaction to the challenges that faced you, I am pleased to award you with the Good Conduct Ribbon. Congratulations.

Hobart: Response

Shayne didn’t mind being a bit of a goblin now and then, and smiled good-naturedly at Hobart’s expression.

And now for the dual recipients. Or in one special case, triple.

Shayne: Mr. Serinus, Mr. Dewitt, to the front.

He tried not to look too uncomfortable; after all, awarding someone for sustaining injuries that Shayne himself inflicted was not the most comfortable circumstance.

Shayne: Gentlemen, it is a simple fact that your extraordinary heroism in engaging the enemy led to the preservation of life and the continued security objectives of the Alpha Isles. It is with respect and humility that I present you both the Federation Cross for your bravery. Congratulations.

Serinus/Dewitt: Response

Shayne offered them both the ribbons, but gently held both back before they could effect a hasty escape.

Shayne: Just a moment, gentlemen. Mr. Serinus, your work on creating the Starboard Bow- a place where crew can come together and unwind with one another- has hardly gone unnoticed. Providing such a locale is just what we needed to make Arrow more than just a ship. In a very real way, she’s that much closer to a home for all of us. As such, I am gratified to award you the Unity Ribbon. Congratulations.

Serinus: Response

More applause, and Shayne held the pause for effect.

Shayne: Alright, Mr. Serinus, effect your retreat. And thank you again. Mr. Dewitt, gird your loins.

Dewitt: Response

Shayne brought his heavy, but earnest manner to bear on the young man, whom he’d had enough frank discussions with to know he was going to make one hell of an officer, even beyond what he’d already achieved.

Shayne: Mr. Dewitt, it is no secret that you sustained enormous injury at the hands of the Sheliak, and in the pursuit of a duty I… perhaps erroneously… imparted to you. Your sacrifice rises above the discussions of ought and should, and I to you with great gratitude the Purple Heart.

More applause, but Shayne wasn’t finished. Another box remained, this one lined with gold trim.

Shayne: Even before your most recent injury, you have been an unwavering, fast-hearted member of this crew. You have demonstrated for us that leadership begins from within, and I cannot, nor do I wish to, imagine this ship without you. As a result, I am delighted to promote you, Connor Dewitt, to the rank of full Lieutenant, with all of the privileges and responsibilities attached to that rank. Congratulations!

As Shayne removed the outdated hollow pip and replaced it with a gold one, the applause rose, literally, as a standing ovation took hold. Shayne offered his hand to shake, and whispered in close to the younger man.

Shayne: You earned this.

Dewitt: Response

Shayne pulled back and addressed the crowd.

Shayne: That concludes the awards section of this ceremony! Eat, drink, be merry, for tomorrow the Sheliak foot the bill!

Any: Response

Tag/TBC…

Captain Randal Shayne

Commanding Officer