LTCmdr. Quentin Collins - Who's Afraid of Jacin Ayemet?

Justin Partridge

Sep 22, 2022, 11:51:47 PM9/22/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Interior. U.S.S. Arrow, Deck 1. Conference Room.))

Quentin Collins trundled into the Conference Room and was immediately captivated by the smell of the danish on the table. Though he helped himself to the coffee setting at the room's corner, heavy on the milk and sugar just for the extra kick and taste, he thought he might be too excited to eat.

He chose a seat, smiled in turn to each of his already arrived superiors and arriving officers, and took a long pull of the coffee. Half draining it with the first drink. The buzz of the mission and the coffee almost seemed to make himself vibrate in the seat.

He couldn't wait to get started.

Shayne: Thank you for coming. Our information is limited, so fortunately this will be brief.

He took a beat and then continued from his seat at the head of the table.

Shayne: What we do know is that the Chalnoth, in apparently the first organized action ever witnessed by Starfleet, have reached out to the Federation for assistance. They weren’t particularly forthcoming, and Starfleet didn’t want to press the matter too greatly. As a result, we are going in cautiously. Once we’re an hour away from coordinates sent to us by the Chalnoth, we’ll disengage the Proteus Drive, disengage from the ring, and move in at conventional warp speeds. Lieutenants Dewitt and Tallera, you’ll handle that, and locate us a good place to keep the ring until we can come back for it.

Jacin: The Chalnoth  are known for their aggressive nature. Their society is based on the preposition that only the strong survive. For them to ask for help is atypical of them. For them to ask for assistance is :beat: not normally in their nature. Either something has changed, or there is a situation that is serious enough for them to believe they cannot handle it alone, that does not bode well.

Ar’Gorvalei: Perhaps they are dealing with a crisis they have never encountered before, and have no culturally appropriate way of resolving.

Dewitt: That ups the expected level of threat from a standard request for help with a supply run or similar.

Quentin held up a finger from his coffee free hand.

Collins: This was sent through official Federation diplomatic channels. Surely that telegraphs a positive intent? We can't assume anything.

As per usual, Maz Rodan provided a coolly redirecting and wise bit of input.

Rodan: While unusual, it's not unprecedented. The Chalnoth have never been openly aggressive to the Federation, however they do regard us - and others - in some kind of contempt.

Jacin: There is a third possibility; it's a trap.

He tapped the once raised finger on the table.

Collins: Once again, we can't assume anything. Why call us all the way out here just to snare us? Cui Bono?

Shayne/Any: RESPONSE

Tallera: We'll find a good corner, but we'll want to lock it down against possible theft or intrusion.  I understand it's built for this, but it'll be the first time to put it all to the test.

Quentin could now see the practical applications and wisdom of their new polyglot First Leftenant. As that would have never occurred to him. At least not in the moment now in the meeting. He assumed that once detached the Ring itself would have at least some sort of countermeasure system in place to prevent such nabbery.

But systems and hardware could only do so much out here on their own. Likely they would be close, and who would even have the adaptive technology able to harness its awesome power out here anyhow? He thought that the Ring might not be the source of their headaches today. But also, stranger things had happened...

The Chalnoth were calling on them, after all. Quentin drained the last of his slightly-too-sweet coffee and leaned back to hear the rest of the briefing. Connor's voice entered the fray.

Dewitt: Yes... Yes, we will confer with Commander Wilde over installed precautions and locks we will have to add on top.

Jacin: Locks can be picked.

Quentin turned to his peer, but Connor got the better of him.

Dewitt: Picks can be broken.

Collins: He has a point, Mister Jacin. Besides, I'm not sure-

Jacin: What? Ask any Ferengi. Besides, isn't it our duty to point out all mission possibilities?

Rodan: Don't forget that Proteus has its own propulsion system and remote access. We could always have it find us, if needs be.

oO Technically correct, yes...but...did our talk just make things worse? Oo Quentin wondered when he should be focusing on the mission.

Dewitt: I'm sorry, you're right. Given Proteus' history, we will take every precaution we can that nobody can mess with or steal Proteus. I will set up a meeting with Commanders Serinus and MacKenna to cover possible angles of attack.

Captain Shayne turned curtly toward Ash.

Shayne: Commander, how likely is this request to be related to the Sheliak in some form?

He was hopeful that the answer was minimal, but that was a scaling spectrum. Anything in the Isles had the tinge of the Sheliak, and as they continued to convulse as a civilization, their flailing could only be expected to hit those around them in unpredictable ways.

MacKenna: There's not much chatter about it yet, so I'm not sure it's been thoroughly looked at. I'd proceed assuming there's a connection given the proximity and activity in the area.

Shayne: In that case you’ll be with the initial meet-and-greet party. How much experience have you with the Chalnoth?

Ash shook her head. Pulling the face that she usually did when she had to tell a hard truth. Quentin always thought she was rather good at it. He had no idea HOW, of course, as those sort of social refinements and honed graces under pressure would likely always elude him

But that didn't matter. They had Ash for that.

MacKenna: Unfortunately, not much. They haven't connected with us in quite some time, and even here, the request was very short.

The Captain nodded at her advice and addressed the rest of the table.

Shayne: If outside communication is rare, then asking for help is practically unheard of for a Chalnoth. Nevertheless, if this is a medical situation, I want Sickbay standing by for large-scale triage. Keep cargo bays and the mess halls on standby.

R’Ariel: We may need some assistance from engineering to help prep any cargo bay space.

Rodan: Pull some resources from Ops, too, if needed.

She turned gracefully toward her colleagues.

Ar’Gorvalei: We should also make sure to replicate additional basic medical supplies, and anything specific to Chalnoth physiology.

O’Malley: RESPONSE

The Captain found Serinus' handsomely patrician features now.

Shayne: You know what they say about wounded animals, Commander. Keep your teams at high alert for the duration of this interaction. Chloe, I want us ready to get out of here at a moment’s notice, and depending on what they need from us when we arrive, we might need your shuttle flying abilities.

Serinus: Yes, sir.

Waters: RESPONSE

R'Ariel:  Security may definitely be needed, I know I don't want to think about trying to restrain a Chalnoth without, but I'd like to play the proximity of security teams by ear, adding what might be perceived as threat to patients suffering trauma could be disastrous.

Quentin snapped the fingers of his mug-free hand loudly and pointed to the good Counselor. For she was absolutely on the money. They had reached out. They didn't have to. They could have gone to one of their more stauncher and closer allies, whoever they were. Quentin knew not.

But if he and the rest of the ship went into this thinking the worst of the messengers...then what progress would have been made at all?

And finally…The Captain's eyes found him. He stood up slightly in his chair with the feeling. It was instinctual. As if his body and heart had no other choice but to stand just a bit taller and stouter in the gaze of a superior.

Just with the added bonus of it being a superior that he knew trusted and values him and the rest of his Blue Coats as much as Quentin himself did. How could you not stand up just a little straighter knowing that?

Shayne: Science department… do… science. Things. You know the drill.

Quentin grinned madly and set his empty cup down. He was fiddling with it and now wondering just how much The Captain might come to regret saying that. That was quite a lot of leeway he had just unfolding before them.

Jacin Ayemet. however, didn't seem gladdened by the words and admission of trust he had in them. Instead her face held a cloud that Quentin was not used to seeing. Neither on her

Jacin :quietly: Beep beep beep.

Quentin turned once more to his fellow Science Officer. This time with a slightly sharp eyebrow. One that turned his face into a deep crimson once he heard a bunch of snickers and stifled laughs from somewhere across the table. He appreciated her slightly pessimistic read of the situation. They would, like she herself said, need to examine all possible angles and eventualities. Cosmos knows they have entered into hairier situations with more information and more friendly words.

But this...something seemed off about her. Something darker, more pointed. It didn't suit her and Quentin didn't like it one bit.

Did his talk have the direct OPPOSITE effect on her? He thought he was being encouraging! His voice dropped with effort.

Collins: Lieutenant?

He had dropped his affect to hammer home his point. He hoped it didn't go unnoticed.

Jacin: Just doing "Science things".

Quentin felt his face deepen gravely. So it did. He hadn't made a single impression on the young officer. He had...bungled it somehow. Or his point and once-thought-encouraging words had been missed entirely. He silently cursed himself and his arrogance. Had he been so presumptive to think that his story would have some sort of lesson in it? A lesson that would only focus the clear light and talent of the young officer on the rise?

And now the light that had once driven Jacin Ayemet to be an exemplary officer and daring (if slightly insubordinate) field operative had...soured somewhat. Into something that screwed painfully at Quentin's heart.

Collins: Retake your station on the Bridge, Lieutenant. I will...send for you later and get you up to speed.

He turned back to The Captain slightly, no, extremely embarrassed as Ayemet left the briefing.

This was NOT how he would operate his Science Department, and yet...this was neither the time nor the place to try and work that out now. They were what? Two...three hours out of Chalnoth space? He would likely need whole days to work out what was happening in her head.

Quentin nor the Arrow had that kind of time. He found it somewhat hard to keep The Captain's gaze.

Collins: A-aye, sir. Wherever you need us.

He looked towards Maz. A silent questioning on his face.

Rodan: It's no secret that this meeting will be quite tense. Keep your wits about you, everyone.

Shayne: Alright. We arrive in a few hours. Mr. Rodan, take us to yellow alert and standby for diplomacy.

The meeting adjourned,and the company started up and out of the room. Serinus, as always and to his immense credit, was wasting no time. Tapping his comm as he stood and swept into the rest of the ship.

Serinus: =/\= Serinus to Security. Squad leader meeting, my desk, in 5. Serinus out. =/\=

Quentin Collins sat in his chair for a bit. Staring deeply into the now stone cold coffee cup.

He was suddenly very worried. He was worried about the mission. He was worried about his effectiveness as a Chief Science Officer. But most of all? He was worried about Jacin Ayemet. Would she do something rash again? Would she endanger this already precarious contact mission with preconceptions?

He took a deep breath and then finally rose. He allowed himself 30 full seconds of uncertainty and then he shut it all away. Clung to his stout heart and quick mind. He would do whatever he needed to do to keep his ship safe. Rise to any task or problem that might come their way.

Jacin Ayemet included.

That was the job. That was who he was. It was in his blood and bones.

And by hook or by crook, they would see it. He would prove it to them.

He would prove it to the entire galaxy

--
TAG/TBC
--