Ensign Cassie Mason - The Omega Enigma

Cassandra Mason

Apr 8, 2021, 3:06:36 PM4/8/21
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Sickbay, Deck 3 - USS Arrow))

Since Cassie had let the leader of their group of patients have a session with R’Ariel, she was focusing her attention on some of the more urgent injuries among their group. A prosthetic could be made, but it would take a considerable amount of time. And a few of these other patients were in more dire need of immediate care.

She had just finished with a rather quiet man who had been complaining of a sharp shooting pain in his arms as well as a few cuts that wouldn’t heal, only reopen and get infected over and over again.

Morgenstern: D-Dr. Mason, a word please?

Mason: Of course, we were just finishing. ::turning to the other doctor, Cassie was taken aback:: You look like you’ve seen a ghost, doctor.

On the screen behind Dr. Morgenstern, an almost ominous image took over the screen. A single Greek letter, one that she dare not think of the implications of. And before anyone could react, the image was gone and the heavy vault-like door slammed down over the entrance, and only exit.

Seeing the other woman taking her own pulse in a panic, Cassie’s instincts kicked in.

Mason: Lana, I need you to breathe, alright? Slow down and tell me what you were going to say before.

While real life was nothing like her books, there was something to be said for timing that was too coincidental. And the worry on Dr. Morgenstern’s face wasn’t exactly helping Cassie to stay calm either.

Morgenstern: I just...I...I think I've found something, Doctor. Something...something big...

Mason: One step at a time, what did you find?

oO And does it have anything to do with us being suddenly in lockdown. Oo

Morgenstern: Response

Taking the tricorder from Lana’s hands, Cassie felt like her lungs were refusing to take in oxygen.

Mason: I’ve never heard of it being able to do this to someone. We know it’s powerful, but prolonged exposure like this…

oO If these people are messing with Omega they may as well already be on borrowed time. Oo.

Mason: Doctor, I need you to pay attention, ::she said carefully, making sure Lana could handle this:: Take a moment, calm yourself down. You’re trained for this.

oO I hope this is convincing. What the hell can we even do now. Oo

Mason: Once you can, you’re going to initiate a full decontamination of the compartment to keep it contained. You’re going to set the computer to do full decontamination cycles as often as it lets you.

Morgenstern: Response

Mason: As far as I’m concerned, we handle this like we would radiation poisoning. Containment and then immediate preventative measures. No one enters or leaves Sickbay, no one eats or drinks a thing. As of right now this is top priority.

oO If this is the effect on some of the people here, we need to get our crew off that planet. Oo

Mason: I’m going to contact the bridge.

Morgenstern: Response

Taking a deep breath, Cassie had no idea how to even begin to explain this to the bridge crew. But she was sure of one thing. Their crew needed to get off that planet and no one could come into contact with them.

Mason: =/\= Mason to Bridge =/\=

Bridge: Response

Mason: =/\= Sir, at least one of our patients has what appears to be radiation poisoning from prolonged exposure to what we believe as Omega. Sickbay is as of this moment in quarantine and I request all away team members return to the ship immediately for treatment. =/\=

Bridge: Response

Mason: =/\= Anyone in direct contact with technology, people, even the atmosphere of the planet, is potentially at risk of being exposed. Even food and drink can be affected, we can’t know for sure. =/\=

Bridge: Response

--

Tag/TBC

Ensign Cassandra E. Mason, MD