MSNPC Cadet Gerry Lacy - Age Before Beauty

Justin Partridge

Apr 1, 2023, 10:59:40 PM4/1/23
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Bridge, Deck 1, USS Libris))

Gerry, like most days, was bored. But this particular boredom was swollen with an expectation that Gerry, on the whole, had NOT expected. A sweetened, almost heady spark that danced merrily over his mind and tongue as he swept up and onto the nearly deserted Bridge. Almost a half a beat after Ginny, who as per usual, arrived first.

They were almost there. A quick peek at the still humming and beautifully automated Helm control confirmed it. The Swamp was incoming. And with it...their "opponents". The snort of not-so-silent derision further sweetened the anticipation he had cascaded onto the Bridge with. It was a feeling he couldn't help himself to every time he thought about the Arrow.

He had read up on a few of their past-action reports, after Daniels and Ginny had proposed and subsequently mapped out this "assignment" for their final thesis. Sure, they had been knocked around a touch, and the Isles seemed like a truly poppin' place, especially over the last few years.

But the real thing that had told Gerry that they would be so much of a layup had been the layout of their crew. Some of the Lower Deckers might have had some sand and energy, if only because they were closer in age to himself and Ginny, but their Senior Staff? Their Section Chiefs? Dinosaurs. Every single one of them. They even boasted a LITERAL Dinosaur on their Staff! Gamma Wing had been something before himself and Ginny, but now? They were the keenest of the keen. The cocks of every walk in the Sol System. They knew it. Starbase 1 knew it.

And very, very soon this loose collection of ill-contented rabble-rousers, Black Tower washouts, fancypants Science Chiefs, and other misfit toys would know it too. Sweeter still, it was going to get them across the stage and sailing into a primo assignment (likely even beyond the rank of Ensign if he and Ginny played it right. Which he would obviously strongarm her into. Ginny might have been the "face" of the Lacy's. But Gerry was certainly the one unafraid to twist a few thumbs when required).

He knew it made him a jerk to think like this. He realized further that some could (rightfully) call him arrogant. He knew it would likely cost him some precious "personal" connections, as Ginny was so keen to remind him (over and over and over again). But when you flew like he did, when you scored like he and Ginny did, and when you looked THIS good doing it?

Well, honestly, there didn't really seem to be much of a choice there, did there? He settled into a sauntered stance next to his preening-ly adorable sister. Cutting much the same picture as they usually did. Gerry was basically the mirror image of Ginny. His face was the same lightly freckle dusted and creamy skinned, though Gerry's was slightly more chapped and weathered thanks to the myriad of sporting activities he and some of the other Gammers partook in.

Her silky auburn hair had been pulled into a tight ponytail, but Gerry's was closely shorn to the sides and back, leaving just a tangled thatch of hair on top. Giving him the profile of a well-made cupcake when he had neglected his styling agent (which he usually did).

Their uniform distinguished them the most from one another. As Ginny opted to keep her's pristine, while Gerry opted to...barely take it on at all. His base tunic and uniform vest being the main components, but never once during his entire career thus far had he ever zipped it (or subsequent uniform coat) up. "Too constricting" he would say. He flashed a winning smile toward his sister, theatrically motioning her toward the Ready Room doorway as a scant few other Gammers started to take the stations.

Ginny: Don't embarrass us.

Gerry: Perish the thought, dear sister.

((Interior, Captain's Ready Room, Deck 1, USS Libris))

The Lacy's entered the room to see the terminally lackluster form of Captain Daniels. Gerry couldn't help but smile and take another theatrical stance. This time a rigid impression of Ginny's parade rest. Daniels was a hack, but at least she was their hack. Far more amiable and...well frankly, human than most of their layman instructors back on Earth.

Daniels:  At ease, both of you, before you burst something.

Gerry:  Thank ya, Cap.

Gerry hung loose. Just enough to bring Ginny's eyes to points as she stiffened her body as if in opposition to him (making him grin all the more madly) as Capin' Dan continued.

Daniels:  So, how has our new ship managed?  Automation systems still behaving as expected?

Ginny made one of her annoyed noises, but soldiered on all the same. At that moment, he felt very sad for her. It must be so exhausting worried about what everyone thought of you all the time. Gerry, however, was unburdened by shame and wished he could teach his sister this incredibly useful ability.

That said, he admired the tenacity with which she barrelled through her discomfort.

Ginny: The Libris would have never made it out of space-dock with a crew of nine, ma'am, if they weren't.

Gerry:  The Wing could have handled her without the training wheels. ::he said with all the drive and portent of a person ordering mozzarella sticks for the table.::

Gerry Lacy truly loved poking and prodding at his sister.

But he truly loved poking at figures of authority even more. Even if Daniels had been doing right by them so far, he just couldn't help himself. As soon as he clocked more pips than 1-1 1/2 on a collar, Gerry Lacy just kicked off despite himself ever frakkin' time.

Daniels:  Oh well I'm so sorry we're boring you, Cadet Lacy.  Perhaps there's a plasma... whatever for you to go scrub.  Or maybe you're just eager to get on with the field trials?

Gerry did straighten at that. Daniels always did know how to corral him, damn their eyes. Gerry very very very much wanted to win this and felt in his bones that they could. He had even been loudly and profusely testifying to that fact basically since they activated too.

He was anxious to back up all that talk.

Gerry: Yes, actually. That one. But that's why we are out here in the first place, right? To trounce a bunch of patrol drones and then head back for the graduation party?

Ginny made another one of her annoyed noises. It was one of his favorites.

Ginny:  What I mean, sir, is that our model's adequacy is not in doubt. Our focus must lie on proving its superiority.

The moment was upon them. Or at least very near to. They had been traveling for nearly a full day now. The Swamp loomed. And with it, The Games. Gerry still didn't love the idea of taking on a few of the Arrow's grunts, but Ginny, regrettably, was right. They wouldn't be able to operate the ship under "battle" conditions with just the full complement of the Wing's students. They would need more hands.

Thankfully, Gerry had a way of making the rules work for his side when he needed to. That usually came along with the thumb twisting stuff that Ginny was always kept away from. Gerry couldn't help but smile once again.

The Arrow had no idea what it was in for.

Daniels: RESPONSE

Gerry: Just say the word, Cap. We are ready. And I have a feeling we won't even need the two weeks ::he said, winking toward Ginny.::

Ginny: RESPONSE

Daniels: RESPONSE

Gerry keyed his holographic commbadge (just off the line, natch). Currently paired into the Helm control, set to a cool and comfortable Warp 6 currently and showing them just a few clicks away from the starting rally point.

He turned a wolfish grin across the display toward the other occupants of the room.

Gerry: Just about there now. They'll be sending over their B-team shortly, I would imagine. ::he said cutting the display, anxious to get back to the Bridge now more than ever and showing it in his bouncing gait::

Ginny: RESPONSE

Gerry: Oh, c'mon, sister of mine, do you REALLY think any of these mummy farts can compare to US? To the other Gammers?! ::he turned a not-so-sympathetic eye toward Daniels:: No offense, Cap, I don't mean you. I mean this other lot. They're like...a million.

Daniels: RESPONSE

Ginny: RESPONSE

Gerry: Fine, I'll just be confident enough for the pair of us. Can we now? Please? ::indicating toward the Bridge::

Daniels: RESPONSE

Ginny: RESPONSE

Gerry didn't wait for the word. Instead bounded out into the Bridge, his skin now crackling with excitement. The boredom and passivity of the earlier moment forgotten entirely.

((Interior. Bridge, Deck 1, USS Libris))

A few of the stations had been taken by other Gammers, who grinned madly seeing the bouncing and animated Gerry, leaping like a lordingly across the Bridge. Smacking hands and giving bullish shakes to the shoulders of the various other Gamma Wing cadets who had finally started standing to as they reached their destination.

After making more than a full circle up and around the whole of the modified Nova-class' Bridge, Gerry came to a clattering stop (keenly aware of all the eyes now on him, drinking in the attention) at the Helm station.

He took a ponderously awaiting pose, crossing his legs and turning almost fully around in the Helm station chair. Turning expectant eyes toward Daniels and Ginny.

Ginny: RESPONSE

Daniels: RESPONSE

TAG/TBC
———