LTCmdr. Quentin Collins - The Tiger-Force That Beats at the Heart of All Things

Justin Partridge

Apr 6, 2021, 12:26:48 AM4/6/21
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Exterior. Kordel City. Feren Industries Tower, Courtyard.))

Azzo: Maybe?  I don't know.  It's hard to know what to expect from someone who lives in space.  Maybe more different aliens?

Collins: Well, I left those on the ship, I'm afraid. ::He tried to sell it like the Captain would, but broke due to his own spreading wry smirk at the girl.:: But Mister Wilde is right, we are excited to see the planet.

Quentin Collins felt himself ease somewhat now that the crowd had dispersed.

Though he was always for a bit of glad-handing (especially when it came with the reward of fostering trust and connection with a newly contacted native population), he never thought he much caught the knack for it. Not, at least, like Mister Wilde had clearly. But as he and his team milled around the now again empty courtyard, the solemn beauty and reposed feeling of the planet settled into him. The air had a melancholy heaviness that Quentin could feel. That might have been some projection on Quentin's part.

oO More grist for the mill with Counselor R'Ariel, I suppose...Oo

But the feeling had to have been at least palatable in a way to the rest of his team. At least he hoped it was. They would need empathy and patience for the coming hours and he hoped they all knew just how delicate of an assignment this was going to be. Even without all the work on the ground. Madam Alios had approached him carefully, using the differences in their positioning in the courtyard to command their attention once more with little more than a shift of movement. There was a canniness to this Madam that Quentin was noticing more and more. Standing as the cool calm to her daughter's clear passion. She spoke, cleanly.

Alios: In that case, Commander, perhaps we should head back inside and start your tour of Venthis here?

Quentin gave a respectful nod, looping his loose thumbs into the belt of his equipment harness.

Collins: After refreshments, naturally. Please, lead the way. I will just make contact with our ship and be along presently.

Alios: :: She smiled politely. :: Of course.  :: She turned to the rest of the away team. :: I'f you'd follow me.

Quentin turned a touch, as his team shuffled back into the building with their hosts. He tapped his commbadge with authority.

Collins: =/\=Away Team to Arrow.=/\=

Alvarez: =/\= Arrow here, go ahead. =/\=

oO That sounds like Alvarez...Oo

He snorted a touch.

oO I bet she's hating just sittin' there on the Bridge...Oo He made a mental note to try and razz her about it later as he continued on.

Collins: =/\=All party members have made safe transit and we have made contact with the Venthisian delegation. We will keep you apprised of anything else and will holler again once we start the survey work.=/\=

Alvarez: =/\= Acknowledged, Commander.  We're standing by for check-ins and updates.  We'll be right here if you need anything. =/\=

Quentin cut off the link and turned again to the empty Courtyard. A faint wind and wisp of sand swept through the ground and the still scarred streets.

oO I wonder...Oo

He extricated Skeets 3.0 (now newly repaired and reskinned thanks to Mister Ander) and opened him with a flick. The enviro-scans seemed normal, but...the power spikes across the city and into the outskirts were still massive. Far too massive for any single commercial generators or energy hubs for a city. These seemed almost enough to power THIRTY cities. Independently. And only hooked to one of the many power sources Quentin was reading, presumably hooked into either habitations, production infrastructures, and commercial properties. Kordel City, judging by the briefs, wasn't their most densely populated cities, so why in blue blazes was it powered like one?

Quentin turned his eye back toward the Tower and saw his party (and hosts) moving toward the lifts.

oO Maybe I should just go ask...eventually...Oo

((Interior: Feren Industries Tower, Main Atrium ))

After a short jog (and quick quaffing of a delicious fruit juice provided by a passing member of a slight waitstaff) Quentin was rejoined with his team, just in time to hear Mister Ander starting some light probing at their hostesses.

Ander: I’m impressed at how much change you’ve gone through, how are people coping with the speed of it?

The Madam took a beat and then gave a careful answer. One that matched her continued poise.

Alios: Well, Mr. Ander, globally we've reconstructed enough high-quality permanent housing for roughly 72% of the population, and another 17% lesser-quality that will need to eventually be replaced.  Of the remaining, we estimate there's still 3-4% of our population living in areas with no suitable housing or services of any kind.  For tens of millions, we're not moving fast enough.

DeBarres: It sounds like you are well on your way. ::Impressed:: You never get to an end product, I guess. There is always something left to do. I guess that is good. Always striving.

Any Away Team: Response

Collins: Yes, the fact that you are moving at all. Especially after what your world has been through. It's a, if you'll allow me the hyperbole, Madam, a miracle. Though I can't imagine it has been easy.
.
The weight of the comment registered with Alios, followed by another diplomatic answer.

Alios: Part of the problem is logistics - simply getting the power and materials into remote areas.  Part of the problem is clearing rubble, dredging pollutants or radiation... unexploded ordnance - landmines, malfunctioned bombs.  Just because we've stopped fighting does not mean we are done with the war.  :: She paused, and motioned. :: Please, step into the lift - I have the feeling you'd like to see our labs?

She motioned carefully to the back of the Atrium that had opened up into an elegant set of glassen lifts. Quentin didn't even notice the seams of the doors.

Quentin allowed his team entry first, along with at least half of their hosting party (as Azzo had almost bounded into the lifts as soon as they were available). Once they (and their escorts) had their positions, Madam Alios stepped in and they were off. Gliding into the heights of the Tower with the steady universal hum of a lift. Quentin found his moment. He crossed his arms and stepped carefully toward their host, dropping his voice slightly to allow her the "room" to talk as freely as she was willing to be.

Collins: How is all this going really? And please don't feel like you have to pitch me like a business investor, Madam.

A heavy moment passed and Quentin wondered if he was being too forward. But his gambit was rewarded with at least some truth.

Alios: It depends on who you ask.

DeBarres: I think you need to help with the basics first. People need to be secured in their lives first.

Alios: For most, free food, clothes, basic belongings, and shelter for life if they laid down arms was enough to go along with advancement.  I am not sure anyone knows why fighting started all those years ago, but once enough of our planet was destroyed it was as much about survival and resources as anything else.  Besides that, people started acknowledging we would eventually go extinct if we kept going.

DeBarres: From what I have learned most civilizations learn the hard way as well.::Thinking about it.::

Quentin nodded solemnly at them both.

Any Away Team: Response

Collins: And you think this might have made your people callous?

Alios: It is a lot to learn, but our population is primarily young, smart, and strong.  We had to be, to survive.  We will find a way to adapt.  We must.  :: She smiled. :: Right, Azzo?

Azzo simply smiled back. And Quentin found himself slighter at ease.

DeBarres: Remember you can't please all the people all the time. I guess you need those voices as well.

Collins: That's actually a good point. Have you experienced any pushback from the populace?

Alios: Of course not everyone will make the transition smoothly.  For those whose entire way of life was war, it will not be easy.  But, hopefully, with time, we'll bring
them home too.

Quentin nodded at her comment, but noticed that she didn't quite answer his question. He felt his arms cross tighter around his chest as the lift started to stop.

Collins: Indeed, Madam...

Any Away Team: Response

((Interior: Feren Industries Tower, Upper Labs ))

The doors opened to show a massive open lab. One Quentin was genuinely awestruck by. It seemed like something out a long promised but impossible future of literature. The walls were translucent, allowing the workers and stations full sight of the city below (and her scars and destruction). All the better to allow them the area to repair them as massive tendril like umbilicus's were picking up and breaking down various materials below for repurposing.

But also, there was a genuine sense of "lived in"ness that echoed through the space as well. Each station and it's keepers were working diligently, but comfortably across a whole spectrum of technologies. While some stations looked arcane and almost homemade, others looked like they could have put they bleeding edge tech of the Federation to shame. It was...startling and improbable. Quentin couldn't be happier. So happy his mouth ran faster than his mind.

Collins: Sweet Christmas...

The young Azzo bounced from the lift as Quentin staggered out along with his team.

Azzo: This is where I work!

Alios: Welcome to our upper labs.

DeBarres moved over to one of the labs and started to inspect it. She didn't seem nearly as taken by the whole affair, but she was surely drinking in all the details she needed to be.

DeBarres:
Impressive. I would love to have some play time.::With glee.::

Alios: Response

Quentin almost felt like he was in a dream. Occupying an impossible space, hovering benevolently over broken world that needed healing. Quentin felt a sudden surge of emotion, but tried to clamp it down as best as he could. There was still SO, so much that needed to be done and so much they didn't know about this wonderous, almost anachronistic world.

He unsheathed Skeets once again and was almost bowled over by the power levels present around them. It was almost impossible, hysterically so, the amount of power that was being generated around them. And even weirder, the Madam and her daughter didn't really seem to be either aware of it or aware of the impossibility of it (which was likelier the case).

He snapped slightly, trying to catch the eyes of his team. He beckoned them over to him.

Collins: Hey, yeah, you three. ::He turned Skeets outward to them all, allowing them an open and free look at his screen.:: Confirm these readings for me so I know I'm not crazy.

Wilde/DeBarres/Ander: Response

oO Hurm...Oo

He closed Skeets with a snap and placed his hands heavily on his hips, gazing slightly at their hosts.

Alios/Azzo: Response

Collins: No, no, no....no problems...well, I....maybe, yeah, actually a problem. Can one of you explain these crazy power levels? I...we have never really seen anything like it.

Alios: Response

Collins: I'm sorry...did you say...Miracle?

Anyone Surface: Response

--
TAG/TBC

LIEUTENANT COMMANDER