Ensign Zenno - An Unexpected First Contact

Cobalt Penumbra

Jun 17, 2023, 10:18:57 PM6/17/23
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Ensign Zenno's Quarters, Deck 3, USS Arrow))

Zenno sat on the chair and considered his few belongings. Everything he brought could fit in the drawer over the desk. It would not be homey though. He knew his Mother would want to see a picture of his room and if he didn't put out some decorations, he knew she would say something.

Pulling out the small water sculpture, he thought it best to put it on the nightstand. He didn't care much for this tradition. To him, it was another thing the homeworlders did, not Starbase kids like him. But if this gesture placated Mother, it was worth it.

Zenno assessed the small cabin. Where were the blind spots? Where would be a spot for cover and concealment? His thoughts were interrupted by a chill. "Well, it's my cabin. Might as well be comfortable." He had the computer adjust the temperature and lighting to his tastes. While a Starbase kid, his biology still felt more comfortable in the climate of the homeworld. He would never have a visitor in here, so he should set it up for his preferences.

Now that he was unpacked, he pondered his next steps. Many people were off the ship. And the Captain indicated he should go to the Crew Lounge with the strange name. One of Lt Nardello's many advices came to him. "Security means watchfulness. None of the others on your ship are going to have this. The Blue Shirts are just buried in their tricorders, looking for anomalies like it's going to earn them a prize or waiting around for someone to get hurt. A Tholian Brass Band, complete with a Drum Major could march on by and they wouldn't notice. The Engineers are too busy getting into genital-size measuring contests over the perfection of their injector alignments. Whoever is in charge is just trying to avoid getting into trouble with the Admiralty, lest they get demoted to doing Border Security Patrol in the nether regions of the Federation."

"You have to know the people, their places, what they do, and when they do them. Is someone late for a shift? Is it just plain tardiness or is it something else? You have to know the sounds of your ship. When the inevitable alien invasion happens you need to know why the air vents are making the wrong sounds because the invaders are climbing through them. It's your duty to know these things. Not up to it? Drop and join another field."

Knowing what he had to do, Zenno picked up a PADD and headed out the door.

((Deck 3 Passageway, USS Arrow))

"Professionalism, respect, watchfulness..." He found that mantra comforting as he went down the corridor. Measuring his paces and memorizing as many details as he could of the space, he then exited into the turbolift.

"How fortuitous, that I have joined the ship when mostly everyone is gone. I can explore without having to bother anyone," he thought.

((Bridge, USS Arrow))

Zenno was looking at his PADD, completing his observations and notes when the door swooshed open. Taking two steps into the Bridge, he was surprised to find another crew member here. No one was supposed to be on watch. A diminutive human sat at one of the consoles and seemed completely lost in thought. He could hear Lt Nardello's voice in his head. "This is the deity-level alien possession I warned you about! This is how it starts!" Zenno quieted Nardello's infectious mild paranoia in his head and paused. The female officer made no indication that she was aware of him. Zenno did note the headgear that she was wearing and vaguely recalled something about that in his briefs before arriving on the ship. oO A mild and friendly approach is warranted. Oo

Zenno: ::softly:: Greetings. Am I disturbing you?

Waters: Response

Zenno: oO Ah yes, the assistive device. I do recall something about that in the notes. Oo Many apologies. I am newly assigned. Zenno, Security Division. It is pleasing to meet you. I was taking this time to explore the ship and familiarize myself with everything to assist in my new assignment here.

Waters: Response

Zenno: That is very interesting! You are only the third person I have met on board. I did speak very ::pause:: briefly with the Captain and then with my new commander. I fear I have not made a terribly good impression with either of them. My old Section Chief would likely say that I didn't "vibe" with them. I'm sure I must have made grievous errors in the meetings somehow. ::shrugs:: If I may ask, what do you on the ship?

Waters: Response

Zenno: Thank you for that kindness. Do you think that in your new role, you might have to work with the Security Team? Would we be working together? oO The people, their places, what they do, and when they do them... Oo

Waters: Response

Zenno: I understand. I have taken up too much of your time. I didn't mean to intrude upon your reverie, I should be going. There is much to do. ::Moves toward the turbolift::

Ensign Zenno
Security Officer
USS Arrow
A240006Z13