LTJG Nolen Hobart — The Nick

2 peržiūros
Praleisti ir pereiti prie pirmo neskaityto pranešimo

Isaac Bresnick

neskaityta,
2023-11-09 23:42:262023-11-09
kam: sb118...@googlegroups.com

((OOC: Did this on a plane, sorry if I missed anything.))

((Forward Torpedo Room, Deck 7, USS Arrow))

The torpedo was assembled and the advice to the Bridge was given. There wasn't much else for them to do but hope. The rescue effort was now in someone else's hands. Lieutenant Junior Grade Hobart felt like he needed a drink.

Hobart: Know any prayers for torpedoes?

This produced a chuckle from Lieutenant Jacin as she keyed in commands on the torpedo’s small interface, Nolen racked his brain searching for anything similar in his people’s history. A couple prayers for soldiers and war, but this was more like praying for a hammer.

Jacin: I know one for family :putting her hand on Hobart’s shoulder briefly: and friends.

Nolen nodded in agreement. Better to pray for the nail. He stiffened as Ayemet put her hand on his shoulder, and the volume of her emotions grew slightly louder as she spoke softly. The universal translator told him what she said, but he knew it never did the original justice.

When she finished, she opened her eyes, and then winked one of them at him.

Jacin: Nolan I think you should do the honors and inform the Captain we are a go for launch.

He nodded and tapped his combadge.

Hobart: =/\= Torpedo Room to Bridge. =/\=

Shayne: =/\= Shayne here. Standing by, engineer. =/\=

He looked to Ayemet as he spoke.

Hobart: =/\= Torpedo is ready, loading it into tube two now, Captain. =/\=

Jacin: =/\= We’ll monitor the trajectory from here Captain. Thanks to Mr Hobart’s engineering skills and my talent for pressing buttons we will be able to make rudimentary course corrections from here. =/\=

Jacin sidled up to a console and got herself set up to guide the torpedo, before turning back to Hobart and the torpedo itself. She grinned ecstatically as they moved it into the stated tube. She was a storm of competing emotions, and in it confidence seemed to be winning out over everything else.

Jacin: Well Lieutenant we gave it our best shot. We can monitor the trajectory from here, unless you need to head to engineering?

He looked around and flapped his hands against his legs, uselessly.

Hobart: I'll head to the transporter room. Make sure things go smooth and the team comes back just as they went out. ::beat:: Do you want Connor back with a bit more gray? I think it might suit him.

He winked before leaving the room and headed for the turbolift at a breakneck pace. Channel still open, he rushed inside as the doors greeted him. From behind him, he heard the echo of heavy machinery as the torpedo was launched. Just a moment later and Lieutenant Jacin’s voice echoed into his ears.

Jacin: =/\= The torpedo is running straight and true. =/\=

The turbolift shot upwards, five decks, fast enough to make his stomach lurch. The doors opened again onto another corridor, longer than the last one but otherwise the same, and he bolted outward.

Jacin: =/\= 4.7 seconds to impact. =/\=

Hobart: ::sprinting:: Make way!

((VERY Brief Timeskip, Transporter Room 1, Deck 2, USS Arrow))

Another set of gray doors hissed apart and Nolen burst into the empty transporter room. It was being operated from the Bridge, he knew, but am extra set of eyes and hands—especially an Engineer’s—wouldn't hurt.

Shayne: Response?

Jacin: =/\= Jacin Generator destroyed.  Krieger waves dissipating. It should be safe to get closer. =/\=

Hobart: =/\= Transporter Room to Bridge, standing by. =/\=

Yes, but standing by to do what? He left the console and headed to the stowage lockers along the compartment’s outer wall and dragged out a pair of emergency medical kits. Looking around again, he tossed his hands outward in an exasperated expression of idleness.

And then the console chimed in a lock. Hobart eagerly took position behind it, looking out over the empty transporter pad.

Shayne: =/\= Response =/\=

Nolen initiated transport, sliding his fingers up the controls, carefully, slowly. There were multiple streams, and multiple biosigns, and if you didn't do it right you stood a decent chance of losing some of one or the other.

As the transport completed and the away team shimmered into being in front of him, still in their EV suits, he felt an immense sense of relief. Not his, though relieved he was. But it seemed like they got them out just in time. Which didn't make much sense to Nolen. In a temporal anomaly, time should have been abundant. He shrugged it off, grabbed a medkit and strode over to the returned crew.

Adyr: What is it about this crew and timing...?

Nolen quirked a crooked grin as he knelt down, set the kit on the floor and opened it.

Hobart: Captain has issued a two week moratorium on the word “time” and any of its forms. Fair warning, sir.

Berry/Ohnari/Dewitt/Orsalen/Zenno: Responses?

Tags/TBC

———

Lieutenant Junior Grade Nolen Hobart

Engineering Officer