LTCmdr. Quentin Collins - New Contact

Justin Partridge

Feb 1, 2023, 10:56:36 PM2/1/23
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Interior. U.S.S. Arrow, Deck 1. Bridge.))

Collins: No, no, think about it! Shooting to disable...that's totally antithetical to everything we've seen from the Sheliak so far!

Niac: Mr. Collins, I appreciate your obvious zeal but I'm going to need more of an explanation than that.

Quentin Collins silently admonished himself for the lapse in communication. For months, Quentin had developed a shorthand with an entirely different officer. One who had experienced everything he had, up until a few weeks ago. Quentin and Maz Rodan had the rapport, yes, but more than that, the back-and-forth allowed by shared experience.

Maz had survived several encounters with the Sheliak alongside Quentin. Niac had not (until now). Maz had seen firsthand the brazen and often quick to deadly actions and reactions of Corporate entities and representatives. Niac hadn't (until now....maybe. Jury was still out on just who and what these particular Sheliak were representing). That was all on Quentin.

And hadn't actually occurred to him until this very moment. He silently admonished himself further. He should have anticipated that. This was his first action with The New XO. He needed to be sharper than that. He thought he had been. It was humbling to find out the opposite. He recomposed himself and explained further. Hopefully, clearer too

Collins: What I mean is, when we've stumbled upon illicit Sheliak operations before, they've every time moved to destroy us. It's cleaner for them. So why are THESE Sheliak set up to shoot to disable? And specifically to disable ship systems? What's different about THIS particular illicit Sheliak operation? I don't get it.

Jacin: We know that there is at the very least dissent within the Sheliak, perhaps even a ‘civil war’ of sorts. Perhaps this is one of the opposing forces to the incumbent command structure?

Quentin brightened and motioned animatedly toward his companion in blue. Leave it to Ayemet to cut to the quik of the matter. And in a more concise way to boot. The Commander seemed to be more cognizant too. Nodding along with their words from the Center.

Niac:  That's one possibility.  Another is that this group are working independently - a criminal enterprise or something otherwise acting without the consent of their political authority.  I'm not sure which possibility I like less, to be honest.

Hobart:   ::nodding:: Dissolution, maybe? Ion cannons would make sense if what you want is technology, warm bodies, or both. Salvage the disabled ships, enslave the crews. And if you’re way out on the fringes, cut off from a central authority too busy trying to look like a central authority than be one, you gotta scrounge. Maybe this is them scrounging…?

Quentin snapped and pointed just as animatedly to the new Ensign.

Collins: Absolutely! It speaks to building infrastructure. WHY do you need infrastructure if you are a part of a Corporate?! Whatever is happening out here, it's happening in its own vacuum.

Perim/Jacin: RESPONSE

Niac:  Either way, this is all more evidence that the Sheliak Corporate authority that had a treaty with the Federation may not really exist anymore.  The implications for the security of this entire sector are enormous.  ::Karrod turned back to the viewscreen just as the shuttles launched::  Lets hope our team learns more once they get in there.  Any unusual activity at the facility?  Probe picking up anything?  Any sign the shuttles have been detected?

The New XO moved back to The Center Chair with aplomb while Quentin and Ayemet checked and rechecked the currently tasked scopes.

Collins: Nothing yet, Commander. If they have external sensors, we aren't detecting any. ::a door unlocks in his head:: say...maybe that's the reason they were hauling around those comm arrays, yeah? Perhaps they need something to bounce a carrier wave out of?

Jacin:  RESPONSE

The New XO regarded The New Ensign.

Hobart:  Mr. Hobart, those ion canons are starting to concern me.  If the shuttles come under fire from them on the way out we'll be in a very difficult situation.  I'd like you to work with our science team, work up some defensive options for the ship.  I have no interest in becoming a miner, Ensign.

Hobart: Mining is honest work, sir. ::The New Ensign seemed to clock his vocal faux pas and then reoriented:: I mean “Aye, Commander.”

Perim: RESPONSE

Niac:  Sorry Cadet Perim, for the moment I don't need a single lateral roll or evasive manuever.  I realize this kind of waiting is difficult for a helmsman but consider this all part of your training.

Quentin was about to try and offer a few more words of encouragement, knowing first-hand just how difficult this kind of flying was when Science 1 started to threep once more.

This time with distressing news. This time Quentin didn't waste the words.

Collins: Incoming, Commander. Indeterminate contact approaching from the opposite side of the planet. Scans say it's burning this way at Warp 2.

Niac: RESPONSE

Collins: Within the hour, sir.

Niac/Perim/Jacin/Hobart: RESPONSE
--