MSNPC Cadet Ginny Lacy — Eyes on the Price

Nolen Hobart

Mar 31, 2023, 10:07:27 PM3/31/23
to USS Arrow – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Bridge, Deck 1, USS Libris))

Cadet Ginny Lacy took her obligation to Starfleet, to the Federation, to humanity and its allied species seriously. She always had. In a society in which anyone could have almost anything they wanted, where scarcity was largely a thing of the past, she had always recognized a moral obligation to contribute. Even from a young age. She was a prodigy, to the extent that whispers followed her about illegal eugenic therapies. The adults in their neighborhood on Long Island tried to keep it under wraps, but it's hard to slip things past a genius.

Easier to slip things past her brother. He was smart, quite bright in fact. Easily within the top quintile at least, but never quite up to her pace. For a time, she had resented this about him, but she quickly learned to recognize that he was her closest family. When all others were left behind, or turned their backs, they would have each other. No one else could be fully trusted. Her love for her brother was the one vice she allowed herself in a life otherwise dedicated to duty. She sacrificed sleepless nights to help him study, so that he could keep up. And though it was physically impossible for her brain to recall, she distinctly remembered pushing his leg in the womb so that the doctors might be impressed by his development, too.

And somehow, two decades on, they found themselves still together, still striving for more, to make the Galaxy a better place. They found themselves on a deserted starship, crossing an empty Bridge, summoned to the Ready Room of an improbably (and deceptively) relaxed Captain.

Her clenched jaw beneath a taut auburn ponytail afforded only one hushed whisper as the doors swisher open before them.

Ginny: Don't embarrass us.

Gerry: Response

((Interior, Captain's Ready Room, Deck 1, USS Libris))

Daniels:  At ease, both of you, before you burst something.

Gerry:  Response

As if in protest to her request, Gerry assumed the shape of a cooked noodle. As if in protest of his disrespect, Ginny stuck hard to procedure and etiquette.

Daniels:  So, how has our new ship managed?  Automation systems still behaving as expected?

Ginny shifted slightly in irritation at the Captain's wasted breath.

Ginny: The Libris would have never made it out of space-dock with a crew of nine, ma'am, if they weren't.

Gerry:  Response

Allura's tone dripped with sarcasm.

Daniels:  Oh well I'm so sorry we're boring you, Cadet Lacy.  Perhaps there's a plasma... whatever for you to go scrub.  Or maybe you're just eager to get on with the field trials?

Gerry: Response

She glanced sideways at her brother's efforts to play diplomat. She felt him at times a sea anchor, pulling hard on her reins.

Ginny:  What I mean, sir, is that our model's adequacy is not in doubt. Our focus must lie on proving its superiority.

She knew the Captain's patience would eventually wear out, but if Ginny couldn't break through the defenses of even this one forward-thinking Captain, the ideological conquest of Starfleet was a lost cause.

Time was not on their side, whatever Captain Daniels believed. Any second not spent eating or sleeping must be spent planning and evaluating contingencies, and contingencies to contingencies. Or all of this would be for naught.

Daniels/Gerry: Response

TAGS/TBC

———

Cadet Ginny Lacy