Lt. j.g. Ar'Gorvalei - What Needs to Be Done

Jamie Comeau

Jan 28, 2023, 12:46:57 PM1/28/23
to USS Arrow – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((CMO's Office, Sickbay, Deck 3, USS Arrow))

Ar’Gorvalei watched as Commander Niac nodded and took out his PADD, tapping at the display.

Niac: I appreciate your candor, Mr. Ar'Gorvalei.  An officer that can admit when they're conflicted is far more reliable than one that tries to hide their feelings and gets overwhelmed at a critical moment.  ::Karrod nodded towards the console.::  I've sent you a broad outline of the team that'll be going to the surface.  Mr. Serinus is coordinating the tactical effort and you'll be embarking from Shuttlebay Two as soon as we can find a way through the installations detection grid.

Ar’Gorvalei: I’m guessing you’ll be leading the away team?

The XO seemed to grumble to himself.

Niac:  Actually, I won't be leading the team.  The Captain has decided he wants to handle this mission personally.   ::Karrod forced a small smile:: Sure you still want to go?

Ar’Gorvalei raised his eyebrows and leaned back a little in the chair. He remembered when Captain Shayne had overridden Commander Rodan’s objections to lead the infiltration mission onto the Sheliak transport. With the captain on the mission, it was all the more urgent to have a battlefield medic.

Ar’Gorvalei: I suppose I’d better.

Nodding, Commander Niac continued tapping on his PADD.

Niac:  I realize that we have a limited amount of intelligence on what we're facing down there, both from the Sheliak and in terms of prisoners we may be...liberating.  The Arrow will be standing by to support you however we can but you'll be the senior medical officer on the scene and your opinion will carry a lot of weight. I hope you'll use it to keep the Captain from doing anything...unnecessarily rash.

Ar’Gorvalei sat up straighter in his – no, Commander R’Ariel’s – chair, sensing some sort of hidden warning behind the first officer’s words.

Ar’Gorvalei: What sort of … unnecessarily rash … actions do you think the captain might consider engaging in?

Karrod chuckled at the entirely fair question.

Niac:  I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that, I just get the sense the Captain is looking for something down there and he may not want to leave until he finds it. Should he fail to, I hope you're able to offer him some...alternate motivation.

oO He’s looking for information on the Arrow. Oo

It was what Ar’Gorvalei would want, if he were captain of a ship that had been found adrift in space after 20 years with no logs and no crew. But if there are survivors being held captive, surely they would have information. No, Captain Shayne must be looking for something more. Maybe something on the Sheliak?

Ar’Gorvalei shook his head. It would do no good trying to second-guess his captain.

He considered the first officer’s words, and what was being asked of him. The years he had spent in seminary as a warrior-priest initiate had instilled in him a deep respect and obedience to hierarchy, but his time in Starfleet had taught him to question orders that seemed unlawful or reckless. If what Commander Niac suggested came to pass, would he have to invoke Order 104, Section C? He certainly hoped not. Hopefully, if it came to it, logic and reason would suffice. He took a deep breath.

Ar’Gorvalei: I hope … it will not come to that. But if it does … IF it does, I will do what needs to be done, Commander, for the safety and success of the mission. ::Pause:: Are there any other details I should be made aware of?

Niac: Response

Ar’Gorvalei: Then I should probably pass along instructions to the rest of the medical staff and make my own preparations. Thank you, Commander.

Niac: Response

Tag, End for Ar’Gorvalei

Lieutenant j.g. Ar'Gorvalei

Medical Officer