PNPC Cdt. Jenna Perim - A Special Place

Tim

Jan 4, 2023, 8:07:45 AM1/4/23
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Deck 4, Section 7 - USS Arrow))

Jenna had crawled behind the panel with the ODN line to fix the relays into place and connect them up. It was a small place, but she managed to get herself and the tool into the hatch and her hands into a position she could work with.

Niac: I grew up just outside Mak'ala but I left just about as soon as I could. Spent nearly thirty years in the fleet and was back at Starfleet Command in San Francisco for a few years before I had the bright idea of visiting Trill. It's how I ended up with my passenger ::Karrod poked his midsection with a thumb:: Niac. Never planned on being one of the Joined and it's been a difficult adjustment but we've managed to get along without killing eachother so far. How about you?

Karrod's response struck a nerve with Jenna. She was quite proud of what she had achieved so far in Starfleet. Being on an actual ship as a Cadet was not a chance everyone got. But the pain of never being accepted into the Initiate program was still behind a door opening quickly. Despite several partly desperate attempts, she always got a negative answer.

She was glad to be hiding behind a bulkhead. Although with Commander Rodan they went over the topic quite quickly, this time, the pain was more intense. She cleared her throat to wash away any weariness her voice would have had.

Perim: I grew up in Leran Manev, docks district. I don't know if you've ever been there, but it can have its own charm once you get accustomed to the narrow streets.

She paused to fix the junction into place with a final shove onto the last relay. They heard a click and the whirring of a powering ODN conduit. With a deep breath, she climbed out of the bulkhead and stood. Her forehead showed clear signs of sweat, and she started shoving up her uniform sleeves.

Niac: Well in that case you've got a great reason to help me get this place up and running. Niac's first host, Rostil, was a master chef. He even had a little place in the capital about a century ago - Cafe Manev. Because he was getting on my nerves about it a while back, I recreated the entire thing on the holodeck while I served on the Excalibur. Even managed to get pretty good at cooking myself, even if Rostil doesn't like to admit it. You help me get this place working and you can be Cafe Manev's first guest on the Arrow.

Although the Commander again referred to his symbiont, a smile went over Jenna's lips. The thought of visiting a typical Trill cafe and getting a taste of home lightened her mood.

Perim: I'll take a galzak sandwich accompanied by a Juilea Berry Amber Whine. Preferably from the Gatlin Valley. ::chuckling:: You don't know what you get yourself into there...

She picked up her tools again and looked around the small space.

Perim: That was probably not the only thing to do?

Niac: Just need to install six more of these, calibrate the grid and then make sure it can talk to the main computer. Piece of cake, hour, tops.

Perim: ::smiling:: Let's get started then, I'm getting hungry.

((Two and a half hours later))

It had been a long hour to work. Jenna's bangs were wet on her forehead, and she had gotten rid of her uniform jacket. When she agreed to help the Commander, she was thinking about a half-hour job. Just lending a hand. This had turned out to be something completely different.

But she had enjoyed it so far and got her head off the tasks she was supposed to do today. And although some things might take a day longer, she decided this would be a good thing. You got to keep your head clear, even in a stressful time. And this hands-on work was just doing that.

Jenna had just fixed the last relay into place as the Commander was trying to activate the system.

Computer: =/\= Hologrid calibration complete. Level One Holosuite Diagnostics Complete. Holographic Database Online. Primary and Secondary ODN relays Online. Independent power systems online. Holosuite System Online. =/\=

Jenna took another deep breath and enjoyed every second of the computer's positive announcement.

Niac: Damn fine work, Cadet. Considering how much you helped, I think you should give it the first try.

Perim: Remember to mention this in your report for my placement year evaluation. ::smiling::

Jenna put the tools away as she thought about a place to go. She already got something in mind but wanted to avoid overruling the Commander.

Perim: Do you have a suggestion?

Karrod put a hand up and smiled.

Niac: Entirely up to you, give it a proper workout before we let the crew get in here and mess up the joint.

Perim: Computer, access personal files of Cadet Jenna Perim. Authorization Perim Alpha-0-0-5-Zeta. Load holo simulation Siamass-01.

The computer made a few affirmative noises before it loaded the program into the holo matrix.

Computer: =/\= Starting simulation =/\=

((Simulation of Siamass Living Murals, Hologrid 1, USS Arrow))

Their surroundings changed completely. The familiar view of the last three hours vanished in favor of a vast garden. The sky was filled with the blue of a summer's day. A few birds were flying over their heads, singing their song.

The garden was a vast accumulation of different plants; their scents mixed in Jenna's nose. A few benches lined the path they were standing on, interrupted by various sculptures. Nothing looked the same; no sculpture was in the style of another one.

Jenna looked along the path that materialized around them onto an enormous wall rising in what looked like the center of the garden. She looked to Karrod.

Perim: Ever been here?

Niac: Response

The unjoined Trill took a few steps towards the wall and waited for Karrod to accompany her.

Perim: Siamass Kahl painted the first part on that wall. A leftover from the Trillian wars. It was once a wall of a fortress manned by unjoined Trill. ::she paused:: Siamass was unjoined herself... But although she never got the chance to become joined, she embraced her life and invited everyone to contribute to her mural. Today it's not only a mural, but a collection of art contributed by artists from all over the galaxy.

Niac: Response

Perim: It's a special place. It grasps what being a Trill is all about in one garden. It shows our cultural identity. And it shows what's keeping us busy and reminds us of what friction might arise. And it reminds us that creating a better society together can overcome this friction. ::she paused again:: Maybe it is just a young Trill's dream... But it is what I would like to envision our society to be like. ::pause:: Even if we get rejected by the commission.

Niac: Response

TAG/TBC

--
---