Capt. Shayne: A Different Sort of Stellar Nursery

Quinn

Mar 24, 2023, 8:55:32 PM3/24/23
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Deck 1, Bridge, USS Arrow))

Shayne was pacing.

Such an overt display of nervousness couldn’t have filled the bridge with any kind of confidence, and yet here it felt warranted. He went out of his way to avoid playing nursemaid throughout his life. Though he held such people in high regard, it was not a career nor a role for him. So now that he was expected to protect ovalpipped squirts from the ravages of a section of the galaxy that even Starfleet had half written off as unmanageable, he indulged in a bit of back and forth.

Bridge: Response

Shayne turned to the speaker in bottled exasperation.

Shayne: Well, where the hell are they? I understand the concept of “you break it, you buy it”, but the goods haven’t even been delivered yet. When I went to the Academy, punctuality was 89% of the grade.

He pursed his lips to put a stay on his ranting, and turned back to the viewscreen, and Deep Space 33’s lateral telescopic discus. Suddenly, a pleasant-sounding proximity alarm sounded.

Niac: Response

Shayne: Finally. Onscreen.

The image shifted to the ocean of open space, just as a spatial distortion began to twist it. From the flash of light that announced the arrival of a starship came a distinctly Federation vessel, but of a class Shayne couldn’t identify. It was too small to be a standard explorer, but too rounded about the middle to be a customary escort.

Shayne: Can I get an identification on her?

Collins: Response

The Libris, eh? Starfleet’s penchant for somewhat unusual names continued. If they weren’t unusual, he mused, they were poorly assigned. Nothing like calling a Defiant class warship the Gandhi. Then again, he was in command of a Saber class ship called Arrow, so perhaps it could be worse.

Hobart: Response

Well, at least they had manners sufficient to say hello.

Shayne: Put them up.

Daniels: Response

Shayne hid his perpetual annoyance and worked to greet the… unusually laid-back looking CO cordially.

Shayne: Captain Shayne of the Starship Arrow

Daniels: Response

Shayne shared a glance with his first officer.

Shayne: That’s a good…

He glanced at Cadet Perim at the helm, hoping for a subtle confirmation.

Shayne: …day at high warp from here. We’ve been by there; it’s scientifically interesting, but dangerous. I trust we won’t be staying long.

Daniels: Response

((OOC: We can backsim as appropriate!))

((Timeskip, Deck 1, Briefing Room, USS Arrow))

Shayne gazed at his assembled crew, his face an odd mix of disgruntlement and determination. Outside, the stars streaked by, with the blotch of Libris taking up a good amount of scenery. He pressed the button on the table, and a staticky holographic display cropped up. A rapidly widening field of coordinated starstuff rushed past, until a full solar system’s worth of material was visible, its outskirts dusting the edges of the picture. Within was tumult; asteroid belts and stellar debris were colliding and crashing, and more than one subspace distortion was wreaking havoc on long range sensors. Either some god took an extreme disliking to this chunk of nowhere, or it hadn’t always been the nowhere it was now.

In any case, they had a somewhat unusual prospect before them, but it could be simplified in two small words.

Shayne: War games.

Any: Response

He wasn’t surprised at the reaction the notion received. War games weren’t exactly popular from the start; most of Starfleet saw them as an antiquated gladiatorial homage that did little to improve the disposition of the fleet. Going head to head in such an unpleasant environment was a dangerous prospect in the best of circumstances, and the notion that they’d be matched against Academy cadets was just insulting in the extreme. Nevertheless, orders were orders.

Shayne: I share your concerns, and perhaps a few more, but orders are orders. The cadets have something to prove, and we’re the best equipped out here to help them prove it. Or to hand them their own asses on silver platters. ::pause:: I play to win.

Any: Response

Shayne moved to the more traditional screen at the back of the room.

Shayne: The rules will be disseminated to Mr. Wilde; he’ll be ensuring we’re in compliance with the rules on Arrow. Captain Daniels will be handling that over on Libris.

Wilde: Response

Shayne had another piece of news that he was sure would be greeted with some mixed feelings.

Shayne: I’ve also been informed that, because their crew is so small, the cadets have asked for some supplemental help. A few of you senior officers will be selected to transfer to Libris for the duration of the games. You’ll be in positions assigned by the cadets for these exercises.

Any: Response

This felt… wrong. It was almost as if they were being punished, but despite Shayne’s penchant for pissing off the wrong people, he couldn’t imagine what he’d done to deserve such an ignominious assignment. Still, needs must and all that. And besides, who didn’t relish the opportunity to put the smarmy, cocksure know it alls back in their place?

Shayne: They’ll be sending their list over shortly; I advise each of you to stand ready, as any of us could hypothetically be asked aboard. But for the time being, Mr. Dewitt, Mr. Hobart, please begin tuning the phasers to training mode; 1/100th power across the board.

Dewitt/Hobart: Response

Tag/TBC…

Captain Randal Shayne
Commanding Officer