Lt.Commander Maz Rodan - Carnivorous Diplomacy

David H

Sep 22, 2022, 12:21:52 PM9/22/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

  ((OOC: A quick heads up, Arrowheads, that I'm on annual leave now for a week. While I will be away, I will have access to sims and be simming as normal, but my screen time might be limited. If there's any urgent XO business, Discord is the best place for a quick response! I'll be posting a semi official Part II to this sim very soon, kicking us off into the meat of it. Pun intended ;) ))

 ((USS Arrow - Deck 1; Conference Room))

They were still in slipstream, and Maz noted how odd the conference room looked as the tunnel bloomed around the windows.

The crew had gathered for a critical briefing. Stafleet's information had been limited, but their return to their home region of space was heralding a possible diplomatic mission.

Shayne: Thank you for coming. Our information is limited, so fortunately this will be brief.

Maz took his place beside the Captain, facing out to the senior staff. He was confident in all their abilities to execute this mission to the best standards. He wondered how they'd react to such a collaboration with one of the most fearsome species in the region.

Shayne: What we do know is that the Chalnoth, in apparently the first organized action ever witnessed by Starfleet, have reached out to the Federation for assistance. They weren’t particularly forthcoming, and Starfleet didn’t want to press the matter too greatly. As a result, we are going in cautiously. Once we’re an hour away from coordinates sent to us by the Chalnoth, we’ll disengage the Proteus Drive, disengage from the ring, and move in at conventional warp speeds. Lieutenants Dewitt and Tallera, you’ll handle that, and locate us a good place to keep the ring until we can come back for it.

Jacin: The Chalnoth are known for their aggressive nature. Their society is based on the preposition that only the strong survive. For them to ask for help is atypical of them. For them to ask for assistance is ::Beat:: not normally in their nature. Either something has changed, or there is a situation that is serious enough for them to believe they cannot handle it alone, that does not bode well.

Ar’Gorvalei: Perhaps they are dealing with a crisis they have never encountered before, and have no culturally appropriate way of resolving.

Dewitt: That ups the expected level of threat from a standard request for help with a supply run or similar.

Maz was inclined to agree with her assessment. The Chalnoth were not fond of outsiders. Not quite to xenophobic standards, but they tended to view other species as lesser life forms on the food chain.

Rodan: While unusual, it's not unprecedented. The Chalnoth have never been openly aggressive to the Federation, however they do regard us - and others - in some kind of contempt.

Jacin: There is a third possibility; it’s a trap.

Shayne/Any: Response.

Tallera: We'll find a good corner, but we'll want to lock it down against possible theft or intrusion.  I understand it's built for this, but it'll be the first time to put it all to the test.

Dewitt: Yes... Yes, we will confer with Commander Wilde over installed precautions and locks we will have to add on top.

Jacin: Locks can be picked.

Dewitt: Picks can be broken.

Jacin: What? Ask any Ferengi. Besides, isn't it our duty to point out all mission possibilities?

Rodan: Don't forget that Proteus has its own propulsion system and remote access. We could always have it find us, if needs be.

Any: Response

Shayne: Commander, how likely is this request to be related to the Sheliak in some form?

MacKenna: There's not much chatter about it yet, so I'm not sure it's been thoroughly looked at. I'd proceed assuming there's a connection given the proximity and activity in the area.

Shayne: In that case you’ll be with the initial meet-and-greet party. How much experience have you with the Chalnoth?

MacKenna: Unfortunately, not much. They haven't connected with us in quite some time, and even here, the request was very short.

Shayne: If outside communication is rare, then asking for help is practically unheard of for a Chalnoth. Nevertheless, if this is a medical situation, I want Sickbay standing by for large-scale triage. Keep cargo bays and the mess halls on standby.

R'Ariel: We may need some assistance from engineering to help prep any cargo bay space.

Rodan: Pull some resources from Ops, too, if needed.

Ar’Gorvalei: We should also make sure to replicate additional basic medical supplies, and anything specific to Chalnoth physiology.

O'Malley: Response

Shayne: You know what they say about wounded animals, Commander. Keep your teams at high alert for the duration of this interaction. Chloe, I want us ready to get out of here at a moment’s notice, and depending on what they need from us when we arrive, we might need your shuttle flying abilities.

Serinus: Yes, sir.

Waters: Response

R'Ariel:  Security may definitely be needed, I know I don't want to think about trying to restrain a Chalnoth without, but I'd like to play the proximity of security teams by ear, adding what might be perceived as threat to patients suffering trauma could be disastrous.

Maz nodded. Ever the wise counsel from their counsellor. Best to be cautious, but not oppressive to a species which hunts.

Shayne: Science department… do… science. Things. You know the drill.

Maz smiled ruefully. It was true that the sciences might be the most least used reverse in their arsenal, but this was still an unknown situation that might have its merits. The study of Chalnoth social interactions and technology could prove fascinating.

Jacin ::Quietly.:: Beep beep beep.

Collins: Response

Jacin: Just doing ’science things’.

Collins: Response

Stepping in, Maz gave a look that warned of the seriousness of their upcoming meeting.

Rodan: It's no secret that this meeting will be quite tense. Keep your wits about you, everyone.

Shayne: Alright. We arrive in a few hours. Mr. Rodan, take us to yellow alert and standby for diplomacy.

Rodan: Yes, Captain.

With the meeting adjourned, Maz followed the others back out onto the bridge at back to their stations. In only a few hours they would be meeting a potentially deadly adversary seemingly wanting their help. Jacin's words echoed in his mind. It could be a trap. If it was, were they ready? Proteus would provide a quick getaway should they need it, but they were securing it elsewhere. If the Chalnoth were to get their hands on the drive, well... that would change everything.

NT/TBC

--
First Officer
USS Arrow, NCC 69829