LTCmdr. Quentin Collins - The Draft

Justin Partridge

Aug 22, 2022, 11:57:10 PM8/22/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((OOC: Please forgive me for keeping a lot of the "stage direction/setting" intact. I wanted to preserve all the ideas and pieces placed so far as best as I could.))

((Interior. Starbase 224, Holodeck 3.))

Quentin Collins bustled into the Holodeck, wearing jeans, sneakers, and one of his Academy gym shirts (grey variant). Of course, Serinus had beaten them there. The resolute fact being proven once more drawing a thinly warm smile to his lips as he approached The Chief. Who seemed to be in the last throes of measurement taking.

Not even half a second later the shining face of Connor Dewitt entered the space. Quentin greeted the Engineer with a quick nod and grin as The Chief turned to regard them, PADD in hand.

Serinus: Right on time, gentlemen. Are you ready?

Dewitt: Desperate to get started! ::grinning::

Collins: Likewise! I think this is going to be a lot of fun! Hopefully.

They crossed in a sort of slight V-formation fully into the Holodeck to a sparse, but economically designed space. Serinus took point, allowing them ample sightlines and room to work the space as they saw fit. Which Quentin surely did as they started to settle. He crossed carefully up and around the whole of the area, trying to get a sense of how it would fit into the ship proper.

Serinus: Here is the room in question as it is at the moment.

It was just a sparse bit of storage space barely used in its current form. Because the Starboard Bow was located in the starboard bow, there were sloping walls and support beams on the left and back walls.

The Security Chief spoke up.

Serinus: Computer, show cleaned, and prepped room.

The boxes and other stored items were gone. The walls were painted a hunter green.

Serinus: Now, Install dark stained mahogany plank flooring.

The floors of the model room beneath their feet materialized into dark and shiny wood planks

Serinus: Install Serinus custom bar.

The bar came into being. It was an elongated half circle in the shaped of the ancient weapon their project was named after, taking up 3/4 of the width of the back end of the room. Leaving room all around the outside, and a bigger gap on the left than right. The stand was coffee colored, and the bar top was the same shade as the floor. Behind it were a pair of large cabinets, which had a prep station between them, with a deluxe contraption for making all kinds of coffee.

Serinus: Just like you asked for, a real coffee machine.

Dewitt: This is terrific. I won't be able to leave that place. ::wide grin as he continued to slowly walk backwards towards the bar:: And I bet that coffee machine will make the Captain approve.

Collins: I'm calling it our Ace-presso in the hole. ::Quentin made a move as if he was providing a rimshot.:: But, in all seriousness, maybe some seating now? We could always do with a couch.

Serinus: Great idea, Quentin.

Quentin slightly hated how good that made him feel.

Serinus: Computer, choose a half circle sectional  couch, in pine leaf green.

He hmmmmed deeply.

Serinus: Needs something.

Serinus: Computer, place a curved coffee table of coffee colored wood two feet away from the start of the innermost part of the half circle, lengthwise, equidistant from the left and right sides.

Serinus: Looking good.

Dewitt: I agree, what kind of tables are we going to add? I got the feeling you have a knack for those design questions, Commander.

Collins: Well, I know Cap said something once about playing cards. Maybe if we have the room, we could-

Quentin's thought was cut off slightly by the new arrival. A face Quentin recognized somewhat, but had not the name for.

Serinus: Hello, Commander. How can we help you?

Niac: Well I was looking for Ensign Dewitt, but Captain Shayne tells me his Chief of Security borrowed him for a special project.  I suppose that's you?

Serinus: That would be me. ::He offered his hand to the Commander.:: Lieutenant Commander Artinus Serinus.

Now Quentin remembered where he had seen the face before! This was Connor's partner in his foundry project! He had overseen the transfer of materials and even a bit of the fabrication request. Quentin wondered idly what had come from it, but by the looks of his and Connor's rapport with one another, he guessed it had borne something out.

Niac:  Commander Karrod Niac, pleasure to meet you.

Their handshake concluded, The Chief gestured to each of his companions in kind. Quentin added a slight wave with his motion.

Serinus: My colleagues, Commander Collins, and Ensign Dewitt.

Dewitt: Good to see you again, Commander. Seems like we have another option to finally get that beer. ::pointing towards the bar he was standing behind::

Niac: Well, half an option it looks like.   Didn't mean to interrupt you, I can see you're working on a very special project.

Collins: Not an interruption at all, sir. We appreciate you taking the time. Though this is Chief Serinus' show, Connor and I are just backup.

Serinus allowed the new arrival free reign of the space, allowing Quentin once more to take a better look at what they had so far. He liked it instantly. It was small, but comfortable. Charming and personality driven without being kitschy. Quentin really hoped the rest of the crew liked it as much as he did at the moment.

Serinus: Our special project? You're looking at it, Commander. Or what we have so far.

Niac: Don't get me wrong, I like it.  I just generally prefer my bars to have a few more chairs in them.  And windows.  And drinks.

Quentin smiled at the salient, but slightly slyly delivered point. Connor seemed to get an idea from the comment. Crossing up and away from them and raising his voice up slightly toward the holo-UI.

Dewitt: Computer, do you have the holo novel adaption of 'The Commitments' available?

Computer: Affirmative.

Dewitt: Open Holo Files of the 'Hairy Lemon', add 12 bar stools in front of Serinus custom bar. Equally spaced, about 1 inch distance - made out of the same wood as the counter.

One by one the stools started to line the new bespoke bar space and somehow it drew Quentin's grin all the wider. He punched Connor on the shoulder good-naturedly.

Collins: That's ruddy good thinking, Con. Now we just need the fruit machine!

The Commander plodded upward to their newly-constituted bar and started to road test one of the new stools.

Niac:  Comfortable enough to drink in but uncomfortable enough to keep people from lingering at the bar.  Good choice.  ::Karrod rapped a knuckle on the bartop::  So what's a guy got to do to get a drink in this partial establishment?  Ensign Dewitt and I have something to celebrate.

Quentin almost slapped his head.

Collins: I should have brought something along! That's a dropped ball on my account for sure.

Thankfully, The Chief seemingly had them covered. He hadn't just brought tools and a PADD it seemed.

Serinus:  Two beers, coming right up. You want anything, Quentin?

Collins: I'll have what you're having, Chief.

As Serinus moved off, Quentin wondered if he would regret that later.Connor beamed and Quentin appreciated its wattage and warmth.

Dewitt: What about some pictures on the wall? Maybe we could get some paintings of where every crew member grew up? Or something from the history annex? Or maybe we have a photo of everybody as a Cadet. ::smiling::

Quentin was about to point out that this was meant to be a lounge and not a torture chamber when The Commander spoke up from his seating.

Niac:  Wall of arrows would look pretty sharp, if you'll pardon the pun.  You could do windows on this side ::Karrod pointed towards the back of the bar:: since I'm guessing you've got this placed to be against an outer hull segment.  Interior wall from there ::Karrod pointed towards one end of the compartment:: to there you fill with various arrows.  Replicator database has thousands of the things.  Almost every race in the Federation developed them at some point along their technological journey.  Hell, even humans started doing it around sixty-five thousand years ago.

Collins: Oh, don't get The Chief started on martial weapons, Commander. We will be here all week!

Serinus: You are correct about the location. It's on the starboard bow.::He stopped at the back of the bar, and saw a good spot for a window.:: Computer,  place a right-leaning rhomboid window on the back wall offset a couple inches between the leftmost pillar and the first drink cabinet. Make it align with the top shelf and middle shelf in height, and frame it with two shades of green that are not the shade of the main wall, but complement it and each other.

As he spoke, it became so.

Serinus: I'll keep your other ideas in my pocket for when we are putting the finishing touches on.

Dewitt: RESPONSE

Niac:  If that doesn't strike your fancy, consider installing holoscreens.  You'll be able to change the mood in here depending on the situation.  Gives you a few more options and I happen to know DS224 has a few to spare.

Collins: That's very kind, Commander.

Serinus: It's true, the Arrow is fairly lacking on holotech. . .

Dewitt: RESPONSE

Niac:  Oh I almost forgot - Ensign Dewitt, the parts for your foundry are all aboard the Arrow, but I'm thinking about beaming them back.  ::Karrod smirked and rapped the bar with his knuckles again::  You're not getting anything till I get a drink in this joint.  Speaking of, what's the name going to be?

Collins: I would say that's a fair deal.

Serinus: It's going to be called "Starboard Bow" ::he pronounced the second word like the weapon:: You'll excuse me, my beer knowledge isn't stellar. Do you have a preference?

Dewitt: RESPONSE

Niac: RESPONSE

Quentin finally crossed over to them all, soaking up the energy of the company and the interim space representation.

Collins: I'm not picky. I usually just grab whatever the coldest. But I have to say, I've been really into lagers recently? Couldn't tell you why though...

He grabbed a couple of bottles, popped them open, serving them all and himself finally with almost practiced ease

Serinus: Gentlemen. To your health.

Quentin took up his bottle and toasted along with his company.

Dewitt: RESPONSE

Niac: RESPONSE

Collins: Chin chin.

They all drank. Quentin appreciated the crisp and coldness of his beer. He couldn't tell if it was replicated or not, but that seemed like part of the fun for the moment.

Dewitt: RESPONSE

Niac: RESPONSE

Collins: Maybe some more surface area too? We don't want everyone thinking they just have to sit at the bar, right?

Serinus: It's true, we do need some more tables. Computer, place two round tables halfway between the couch and the left and right walls, respectively. Make the middle section in the shape of archery quivers loaded with arrows, and put a bullseye pattern on the face of the circle.

The two requested tables came into being. The space just continued to charm Quentin, even in this hardlight, photonic state. He got to his feet once more, sipping and tiptoeing around the space to get more of a feel for it.

Serinus: Place 4 plush green chairs around the tables, facing inward, and oriented left, right, front, and back.

Dewitt: RESPONSE

Niac: RESPONSE

Collins: Captain Shayne had us draw up a power allocation plan for the whole space so I think we could task the EPS grid just a touch. Within safe parameters, of course.

He turned a mischievous eye toward The Chief.

Collins: You know what I am going to ask for, yes?

Serinus: RESPONSE

Collins: Karaoke machine! I could even get one with an independent power supply! That way we don't run the risk of overclocking!

Dewitt/Niac: RESPONSE

Quentin laughed and finished off his beer.

Collins: He's right, actually. We put one of those in, I'll never make it back to my post.
--
TAG/TBC
--

Lieutenant Commander