Lieutenant jg Connor Dewitt - Another Observer

Tim

Dec 24, 2022, 2:46:38 AM12/24/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((OOC: Hey guys! So sorry for being so quiet. As some of you know, we
recently moved into our house. It's been a ton of work, and it will
continue to be for some time. But by now there is wifi, a table and a
hot cup of coffee. So it is time to get some time off from reality again
:) Thanks for being so patient with me! Gonna start with a couple of
small ones to get back into the action again.))

((Starboard Bow, USS Arrow))
Dewitt: Don't worry... I am just... ::pointing to the telescope:: I was
just trying to find some celestial objects to admire.

The Marine stepped next to him, examining the telescope. Connor had just
met him during a couple of briefings but had yet to speak to him
one-on-one. Usually, he got nervous talking to more experienced
officers, especially marines. But his recent getting acquainted with
Lieutenant Tallera had taught him differently. The usual knot in his
guts was missing as Vincent approached.

V.Jones: Old school. I like it.

Dewitt: I think the feeling to ::makes quotes in the air:: see it with
your own eyes... It's worth something. Makes the experience more intriguing.

The Marine glanced out of the window at the stars.

V.Jones: So, what have you found? Or what are you looking for specifically?

Dewitt: ::thin smile:: Was just looking for the crab nebula. One of the
first celestial objects I started to observe as a child. Have you ever
seen it? I mean, not on a screen. Just the photons that originate within
the nebula entering your eyes.

Connor started to work the telescope again, delighted to have Vincent
with him. He began to align the telescope to the coordinates he had just
calculated.

V.Jones: Response

Dewitt: I might tend to a little childish excitement when it comes to
this. Have you ever observed with an optical telescope?

V.Jones: Response

He fixed the angle screws of the telescope and let out an admiring sound
as the crab nebula came into view. It was just an optical telescope, so
the resolution was limited, but he could recognize the many delicate
strings that seemed to make it up. After a while, he stepped back from
the telescope.

Dewitt: Take a look!

V.Jones: Response

TAG/TBC