[Act 3] Cmdr. Karrod Niac - Just a Bump On A Rock

Karrod Niac

Jan 30, 2023, 12:47:48 AM1/30/23
to USS Arrow – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((Bridge, Deck One, USS Arrow, Four Hours Later))

Sitting in the Captain's chair while they awaited their window, Karrod reached down and tapped a control on the armrest of the chair.

//Ship's log, First Officer Commander Karrod Niac Reporting, Stardate 240001.29

The last few hours have been spent preparing both ship and crew for the rescue operation.  The Arrow has moved under minimal power to the backside of an asteroid close to the holding facility and will lay in wait here while the Away team departs via shuttlecraft.  The Captain's team is making final preparations in the shuttlebay and we have seen no evidence of Sheliak ship movement or unusual activity at the facility to indicate we've been detected.  Once the away team departs we will be observing communications silence to prevent the team or the ship from alerting the Sheliak.  When the mission is complete and the prisoners are extracted, we will pick up the shuttles and immediately warp back to the Proteus ring which we will use to withdraw to friendly space.

//End Log

Karrod leaned back, unable to find a comfortable position in the Captain's chair.  Some part of him knew that the discomfort had nothing to do with the chair itself. He stood and took in his bridge crew, standing by at stations running on minimal power.

Niac:  Lieutenant Commander Collins, Lieutenant Jg. Ayemet, you're going to be our eyes and ears while the away team is offship.  I need you to squeeze everything you can out of our passive sensors.  I want to keep track of the team and I don't want us to get snuck up on.  Any questions?

Collins/Ayemet:  Response

Niac:  Understood, give me as much warning as you can.

Karrod nodded and turned his attention towards their helmsman, Cadet Jenna Perim.  He'd gotten to know her a little while they completed construction on the ships holodeck and although she was painfully young to his eyes, Karrod had a good feeling about her career in Starfleet.

Niac:  Cadet Perim, confirm we're in position relative to the asteroid and the facility.  Once we're set, I want you to start plotting warp trajectories out of the system and back to the Proteus ring.  ::Karrod tried a reassuring smile::  You think you're up for that, Cadet?

Perim:  Response

Karrod fought to keep a smirk off his face and turned his attention towards the last and newest member of their team, Ensign Nolen Hobart.  The dark haired, dark eyed young man was probably a little surprised to be serving a the Engineering station on the bridge in his first week of duty and Karrod sympathized, but if Mr. Hobart had wanted an easy or predictable life, they probably wouldn't have joined Starfleet.  Now they'd very quickly get the chance to decide if this life was all they hoped for.

Niac: Ensign Hobart, welcome to the bridge.  You'll be responsible for monitoring our power systems and making sure we're not leaking any detectable emissions.  We don't want to trigger those facility defense batteries.  That said, I want us ready to power up and get underway on a moments notice.  Think you can handle all, Ensign?

Hobart:  Response

Karrod straightened up in the Chair and tapped at his commbadge.

Niac:  =/\= Niac to Shayne.  Captain, we're all set up here. =/\=

Shayne: =/\= Response =/\=

Niac:  =/\= Aye sir, good hunting.  You're clear for departure.  Arrow will be standing by waiting for you. Good luck, Captain.  =/\=

Shayne:  =/\= Response =/\=

The comm closed and Karrod turned his attention back towards the bridge.  The viewscreen showed the barren, pitted surface of broken stone stretched off into the darkness all around them and realized they'd gotten to the first truly difficult part of the mission.  The waiting.  After a few minutes of relative silence, Karrod spoke aloud, half to himself and half to the bridge as a whole.

Niac: Guess I should've brought a deck of cards.

Collins/Ayemet/Perim/Hobart:  Response

Tags/TBC

Commander Karrod Niac
First Officer