Lt Jacin - What’s In The Box

Emma

Apr 21, 2024, 7:48:01 PMApr 21
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

(Deep Space 33, Arboretum))

As the arboretum began to fill with the usual variety of crew and serving staff, Ayemet looked out the window at the ship she served so proudly on.  At least that was how it was in the beginning. The beginning when she was a fresh faced Ensign full of dreams and doubt.

In some ways everything had changed. Crew had come and gone, friendships made and broken, and with it all experience had forged her into Lieutenant Jacin. She was meant to be a ships counsellor. She was meant to be serving on a sovereign class ship, but much to her chagrin the Prophets had had other ideas for her.

Her doubts had passed, her resolve strengthened by experience , and she had felt that she had found her place. A human she had met onboard an alien vessel sticking his hand into a console had become the singularly most important person in her life, and had helped to heal the rift between herself and her mother. A task seemingly impossible in her mind, and yet he had done it.

Then there was the Captain. The embodiment of Starfleet, a man that she had both feared and admired. Yet even that relationship had changed and evolved. He continued to surprise her, no small task bearing in mind her empathic abilities, and given their most recent meeting had yet again challenged her. She wasn’t sure what the future held, but whereas in the past this was something that would have worried her, the uncertainty was merely an unwanted but still tolerated guest.

Shayne: Here we are again.

She looked up from her thoughts, realising that the tradition of handing out awards and medals was about to begin once more. She looked around for Nolan and Connor, but both appeared to have disappeared into the crowd, and for a moment she wondered if this really was an opportunity to sneak out of the room, and lose herself in the shops and bars that littered Deep Space 33’s corridors and levels.

Shayne: I have boxes for you.

Commanders Water, Lieutenants Jacin, Zenno, Hobart, Ohnari and Ensign Zerva- step forward, preferably single file.

She groaned inwardly and joined the small queue that snaked its’ way through the throng.

o0 What’s he going to give me an award for? Most argumentative? 0o

Shayne: First allow, me to express my gratitude- it’s much easier to honor you at once, so by all means continue doing what you’re doing; but for the love of god, don’t do that for the Purple Heart.

Jacin: : :to no one in particular: Can’t promise anything.

Zerva/Ohnari/Zenno/Waters: Response

Shayne: First contact is the single most dangerous duty and responsibility an officer can engage in, and it’s harder to imagine a task with more riding on a successful outcome. While it may not have necessarily been how we’d choose to become acquainted with the Emisan people, your conduct in extraordinary circumstances is deserving of the First Contact Ribbon. Congratulations.

She took the award, wondering if the small box contained a large boxing glove which would spring out at an opportune moment and hit her squarely in the face, or perhaps a cream pie that would ruin the makeup she had so carefully applied.  Shayne looked at her , and once again she felt as if her were about to snatch the award away. There appeared to be a strange kind of delight in that look. Fleeting but there nonetheless.

Jacin: :tentatively: Thank you Sir.

Zenno/Zerva/Ohnari/Waters: Response

Shayne: Furthermore! As evidenced by your (relatively) safe return, and the overall success of our mission, I’m pleased to award each of you with the Diplomacy Ribbon, for your excellent representation of Starfleet values and negotiation. Congratulations.

o0 Blast o0 she thought as she was about to turn and walk away, spinning round on her heels instead and  following Zenno to accept the ribbon.

Zenno: Thank you, Captain.

Jacin: Thank you Captain.

Ohnari/Waters:Zerva: Response

She let out a relieved sigh and headed back to underneath the large willow tree, thinking that this was the time to use the flask she had strapped to her thigh.

Shayne: Mr. Dewitt! Step forward and be recognized.

Shayne: Lieutenant, your efforts during this mission were instrumental in our success and I am grateful for your contributions- please accept the Captain’s Commendation.

She looked up and saw Connor walk to the stage, an immense sense of pride filling her. Even if she felt that his working with Ginny Lacy was unwise at best, she knew it came from his quintessential decency. He was a good man, and she couldn’t have been prouder.

Dewitt: Response

At least the evening was over for her. She had some things to think over, and decisions to make, but for the moment she stood and applauded her fiancé .

TAG/TBC

Lieutenant Jacin Ayemet

Science Officer

USS Arrow